Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tax time.

Bottlejack

Registered
Tax time is going to be painfull this year.. I was wondering if anyone has some advise on right off`s .
Should I depreciate my properties? I have three that are going to be long term holds, maybe four. Two that I would like to sell in the near future (with in 5 years). I maxed out my rrsp; I know the basic right offs, interest, taxes, maintenance.

I also sold a property, the original plan was to buy it fix it up live in it... that didn’t happen. I bought it and decided that I did not want to work on it all summer so I relisted it and sold it. So I have a gain of around 35K to pay as well. Not sure if it is a capital gain or straight income.

Another quick question how come I never see an income tax expense in everyone’s calculations to see if a property cash flows? That seems to be the biggest expense next to the mortgage. Paying just over 41% on every dollar that I can’t right off is going to hurt... I know everyone pays taxes. But I have heard the $100 cash flow per door statement a few times. That does not leave much after the taxes are paid on the principal that was paid down on 25 year mortgage. Should I have my properties mortgaged higher?

Any suggestions?

Thanks Eric

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Eric, I have always been taught to build income tax into my calculations, and to use the maximum marginal rate in the province the person was living. So, I am one who understands your concern.

When I raised that question with the REMA developers, they responded, and I tend to agree with the answer, that income is such an individual situation that the only way to have everyone fit the least common denominator is to ignore tax effects.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
taxes are reasons for celebration as you made a profit ! Congratulations !

yes, depreciate a property up to 4% annually, to get taxable income to 0.

Do some income splitting to reduce taxes i.e. hire your wife/kids/grandma for some actual tasks performed and pay them reasonably well if they have a lower, possibly 0, tax bracket !

Conrad5

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jan 23 2009, 05:12 PM) taxes are reasons for celebration as you made a profit ! Congratulations !

yes, depreciate a property up to 4% annually, to get taxable income to 0.

Do some income splitting to reduce taxes i.e. hire your wife/kids/grandma for some actual tasks performed and pay them reasonably well if they have a lower, possibly 0, tax bracket !

Hi Thomas,
Does the depreciation offset the income from the property only or it covers other personal incomes.
Thanks.
Conrad.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (caglah @ Jan 24 2009, 02:52 AM) Does the depreciation offset the income from the property only or it covers other personal incomes.you can use depreciation only to offset property income to 0, not to create a loss to deduct against non-rental income !

Conrad5

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jan 25 2009, 09:14 AM) you can use depreciation only to offset property income to 0, not to create a loss to deduct against non-rental income !

Thanks Thomas.

Top Bottom