Tenant Eviction Ontario

comfort

Registered
Sep 13, 2007
It looks like I may have to evict due to unpaid rent. I called the Landlord Source Centre and they charge $1169.60 to handle everything from start to finish. Is it cheaper in the end to pay a company like them to handle the situation or is it just as easy to do it myself.
If I do it myself, what are the proper steps to take. Is it just the N4 form to fill out and then take it from there.

Douglas

brad

REIN Member
Aug 29, 2007
Oakville
It doesn`t cost anything to issue a N4, but it will cost you $150 to file a L1 with the Tribunal. Once you get through the process and are able to evict (hopefully), it will cost you $300 -$350 (give or take) plus milage for the sheriff to enforce the eviction. So, say approx. $500 to do it on your own. So factor in your time, travel, headaches, HOMEWORK to successfully represent yourself at the Tribunal, If you want to go through the process on your own, or figure it is worth saving almost $800, then do it yourself.

I have done it myself, and it isn`t fun. If your tenant knows how to play the game and you aren`t prepared, they might be able to extend their tenancy. If I have to go through it again, I will hire the appropriate person/agency to take care of it.

Just my 2 cents.

Brad Hamilton

EdRenkema

Registered
Sep 18, 2007
Beamsville, Ontario
QUOTE (brad @ Mar 14 2008, 10:35 AM) It doesn`t cost anything to issue a N4, but it will cost you $150 to file a L1 with the Tribunal. Once you get through the process and are able to evict (hopefully), it will cost you $300 -$350 (give or take) plus milage for the sheriff to enforce the eviction. So, say approx. $500 to do it on your own. So factor in your time, travel, headaches, HOMEWORK to successfully represent yourself at the Tribunal, If you want to go through the process on your own, or figure it is worth saving almost $800, then do it yourself.

I have done it myself, and it isn`t fun. If your tenant knows how to play the game and you aren`t prepared, they might be able to extend their tenancy. If I have to go through it again, I will hire the appropriate person/agency to take care of it.

Just my 2 cents.

Brad Hamilton

Good advice Brad.
I`m currently dealing with a student who is not paying but I inherited the tenant from the previous landlord. It is my understanding that since this is licensed as a rooming house it falls outside of LTB and the eviction process can be expedited, can you confirm this for me? Contact me on my personal email or phone, thanks Brad.

regards,
Ed R

GaryMcGowan

Registered
Mar 12, 2008
Newmarket, ON
One method you could use is offer your tenant $500 cash to be out by a specific date and time. The apartment has to be empty and cleaned to your liking for them to revive the money. You would be amazed at the reaction you would get. Give him a couple of days for the deadline. It may sound counter productive to be giving your money back to the tenant. But what costs more? Going through an eviction procedure with a third party and loosing another couple months rent. You could have your apartment available for rent within a week and receive first and last to cover the $500 out of pocket money you just used...
Just a thought!!

gary

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Sep 17, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Isn`t it interesting how, spring has sprung and evictions are rampant once again? It`s cyclical just like house sales and prices! It was too darn cold in the winter to risk not paying rent and getting evicted.

I haven`t evicted anyone since the fall and have been responsible for over 60 doors between my Mom and I. I`m almost thinking I`m going to be out-of-the-loop soon. That`s my goal!

So far so good. Only a garage rental eviction may be on the rise, but that`s minor.

billf

Registered
Feb 16, 2008
Mississauga
Hi,

First off, I feel for you. Second, Take action as soon as possible, or you feel you have to.

The eviction process in Ontario is stacked in the tenant`s favour. We are going through the process right now, we have issued Notices before but this is the first time we have had to go to the board for hearings.

I have witnessed a few lawyers in the hallways before hearings trying to arrange deals with tenants and fighting with the landlords before going to the hearings. They actually say that they "don`t evict tenants here", to thier landlord clients.

At the hearings and mediation sessions we have been at, the "members" of the board actually advise tenants how to complain about other issues during hearings, tell them what forms to fill out, what bylaws to check into while you are supposed to be talking about missing rent. They also have legal aid offices for tenant`s right outside the hearing rooms.

In Ontario, the tenant can also bring up phantom complaints that you will have to defend without notice at the hearings that may get rent reductions.

The process is also drawn out, the N4 takes 14 days, then the hearing will be around 14 days later if you file for your L1 on the day after the N4 is ignored. At the hearing the "member", will not evict the tenant unless they want to leave, don`t show, or indicate they have no way of payment. But if they can give a schedule, the board will pick another arbitrary period of 2-4 weeks for the tenant to come up with the money. If they don`t pay then you can hire a sheriff and wait some more, and then go to small claims court for your money which they won`t pay, and then you can go the garnishee, credit report file route.

If they pay, then the process starts again and you have a new enemy, that will start playing games with the system and your time. Our utility costs have trippled, and we have now been dragged to hearings for mystery heat problems, and now the tenant wants us to pay for meals because they locked themselves out and we did not get there for 4 hours.

The fees for the hearing will be paid for by the tenant if they are without a good reason for not paying.

My advice is that if you do not like conflict, or react in a hostile manner to conflict, or fear a court like scenerio, hire a lawyer.

However, It is not a complicated process to handle on your own if you can keep your emotions in check. It does not seem like a fair process though. In fact when this tennant is evicted, we plan on writing our MPP and filing a complaint about how the "members" openly advise tenants on how to retaliate and complain when they are supposed to be listening to the complaint that is formally filed.

We will probably try the buy out route in the future, but sometimes you get a professional deadbeat in your homes. An expensive education.

Good Luck

BillF

PS-If the tenant is not on a set lease you may be able to evict for frequent non-payment which is just a different form, but I have heard you only have to go to the board twice with this complaint, and this will usually result in a eviction order.

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Sep 6, 2007
Cambridge, Ontario (K-W-C)
We were cautious with our first eviction. It took 4 months, a paralegal and required a lot of time and cash to renovate afterward. Next time we will offer a good chunk of cash - say, 2 months rent - and hope gets them out immediately. Ultimately, that`s a LOT cheaper.

Good Luck!

Carla

Oct 10, 2007
Waterloo
Lodging houses don`t fall outside of the LTB

There are different rules however if the owner lives in the house (licensed or not) that can help

QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Mar 14 2008, 11:47 AM) Good advice Brad.
I`m currently dealing with a student who is not paying but I inherited the tenant from the previous landlord. It is my understanding that since this is licensed as a rooming house it falls outside of LTB and the eviction process can be expedited, can you confirm this for me? Contact me on my personal email or phone, thanks Brad.

regards,
Ed R

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
Paying off dead beat tenants is extorsion money. The word will get around to all your tenants and in the future all deadbeats wanting to move will simply stop paying there rent.
Do all landlords a favour and go through the process to get an eviction on there file. This way we can all see what kind of tenant they are and refuse to rent to them.

WSJ

REIN Member
Sep 6, 2007
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Mar 17 2008, 07:32 AM) Paying off dead beat tenants is extorsion money. The word will get around to all your tenants and in the future all deadbeats wanting to move will simply stop paying there rent.
Do all landlords a favour and go through the process to get an eviction on there file. This way we can all see what kind of tenant they are and refuse to rent to them.

invst4profit, You are 100% right.