Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenant Eviction

SuperBird

Registered
y tenant owed me $4500 + penalty= total $7400. After I gave them Eviction Notice, they moved out right away. Right now, I will go to court to get judgement. And then ask collection company to collect the money for me.

My current problem is how I can give the court notice to the tenant. They moved to another place. The good thing is they didn`t change their phone#. I had his payroll on my hand and try to find him in his workplace. However, he is just a cleaner. Not sure if he has already changed his job or not. Is there any suggetion? I will submit the court application today.

Frank

Registered
QUOTE (SuperBird @ Jan 4 2008, 01:30 PM) y tenant owed me $4500 + penalty= total $7400. After I gave them Eviction Notice, they moved out right away. Right now, I will go to court to get judgement. And then ask collection company to collect the money for me.

My current problem is how I can give the court notice to the tenant. They moved to another place. The good thing is they didn`t change their phone#. I had his payroll on my hand and try to find him in his workplace. However, he is just a cleaner. Not sure if he has already changed his job or not. Is there any suggetion? I will submit the court application today.

Hello,

I am not sure if this is helpful but I recently went through an eviction in Calgary. I hired "Fosters and Company" and for $850 they took care of everything including serving papers, appearing in court, etc. My contact there was Melisa Costea and her number is 259-0029. I am sure she would be happy to answer your questions as she is very knowledgeable in this area.

Good luck...I hope everything works out for you!
Frank

SuperBird

Registered
Thanks for your information, Frank.
style_emoticons

BTW, after you get the judgement, will she collect the money for you? Thanks

brentmatheson

Registered
Sorry to hear about the big amount. I went through a similar situation in October where the tenant `only` owed me about $2000. You can serve the tenant yourself or hire somebody to do it. I paid $50 for a process server to serve the tenant. I highly recommmend you hire that out--it can get pretty confrontational if you do it yourself. Give the server any possible information you have (ie. new address, workplace, etc.). Alternatively, the server might be able to trick them into giving their address over the phone (a la Dog the Bounty Hunter).

Once you get the judgement, then the fun part of collecting begins. I`m still trying.

Good luck!
Brent

SuperBird

Registered
Thanks for your information Brent. Right now, we found the tenant`s work place and we gave the court notice to him already. Is it a must to get tenant`s home address?

invst4profit

Registered
Getting a judgment on this deadbeat was a good move as it will follow him
through life. Hopefully any future LL will get the full story on this guy. As far as
spending money to get payment from this guy is concerned I would not invest too
much as it is highly unlikley you will ever see any return.

brentmatheson

Registered
At this point I don`t think the home address is a huge priority. You may want it if/when you get the judgement. Having his work place is important because you might be able to garnish his/her wage. If you have bank info (from rent cheques), you could try garnishing that as well.

Brent

SuperBird

Registered
I have a big problem right now.
I am trying to delivery the court notice to his workplace, a hospital in Calgary. He is a housekeeper. No regular working schedule, no regular workplace. What I have right now is his home phone#, workplace, driver license, and payroll. The reception refused to give me any information and they said in their hospital, no personal things allowe to be involved.

Right now, I have a question,
1. Is it ok that I just UPS the document to their workplace?
2. If I hire a process server or a private investigator, what kind of information I can get and what kind of result I can expect?

Thanks

Fiorina

Registered
hello,
I went through a similar situation in November. The courts will only recognize an attempt to serve if it`s done via "Registered Mail". Be careful when you go to the post office for they may suggest priority mail an an option, however only the registered document is admissable. You`ll then be provided with a tracking number from Canada Post. Log on regularly & print the status of your document, even if it was attempted to be delivered, then undelivered & now sitting in some post office waiting for the tenant to go pick it up. Bring those tracking logs to court with you.

Fiorina

Top Bottom