Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenant has become disabled

Sandro

Registered
My tenant has been experiencing severe problems with his knees and as such is required to have surgery. He is now finding it very difficult to walk up and down the stairs. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the government provides assistance or refunds to landlords who do renovations specifically for tenants with physical disabilities, ie; if I were to install a lift that helps people move up and down stairs.

P.S. The home is in Ontario.

Thanks for viewing my post.

Sandro

writeabooknow

Registered
I`ll start my rant by saying my wife is severely disabled. She needs a wheelchair to get around and stairs are virtually impossible.

If one of our tenants became disabled, there would be no way we`d start down the slippery slope of renovations to accommodate the disability. It starts out simple, but doesn`t end. First there`s the stair lift. Cheap if it`s a straight run, a king`s ransom if there`s a bend. The bathroom becomes just a nightmare of costs. Don`t forget the doorways that are now too narrow, and the laundry room is now inaccessible. By the way, can you please lower all the upper cabinets in the kitchen?

And the final touch is the ramp. No one, and I mean no one, can make a ramp look aesthetically pleasing.

A year later, the disability has advanced to the point where the tenant can no longer live on their own, so they move out, leaving you with a house that no one, (societal prejudices) even wants to go into, let alone rent. All you`ve got to do is pay to put it back the way it was.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom