Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenant owes rent - both current and previous owner

Neil1

Registered
Say a tenant owes previous owner 2K and current owner (my friend) 2k. The reason is 'crime' of not paying rent began before closing - the property closed (my friend bought it) 2 months ago where tenant stopped paying 4 months ago. (previous owner did nothing about it)

In the N4 served should my friend mention amount owed 2K or 4K?

I am guessing prior to closing is not my friend's business. On the other hand perhaps makes sense to mentioned full amount somewhere in the form so 'judge' understands better how long this has been going on.

Thanks,

Neil

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Your friend assumed the lease presumably ? Presumably he also did not get a discount on his purchase price i.e. the seller did not collect $s from your friend for money owed (under the assumption he would then collect it) ? Then your friend is owed only his portion of the rent, but may wish to mention, via an affidavit by the previous owner that rent was owed 2 month prior.

Depending on the wording of the purchase contract this should have been disclosed to your friend.

Top Bottom