Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tenant screening

fisher1

Registered
I live in Winnipeg and I was wondering if any of you would know the best way to screen potential tenants? I just bought a property and I want to make sure that I do everything that I can to get good tenants. What steps do you guys take in choosing potential tenants? Is there any reliable tools or websites that are better than others? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TonyMandrique

Registered
QUOTE (fisher1 @ Aug 14 2009, 11:11 PM) I live in Winnipeg and I was wondering if any of you would know the best way to screen potential tenants? I just bought a property and I want to make sure that I do everything that I can to get good tenants. What steps do you guys take in choosing potential tenants? Is there any reliable tools or websites that are better than others? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Fisher,

During the pre-screening process, I interview prospective applicants (& co-applicants/signor in case the applicant is a student), require them to fill up the applicantion form, sign portion of the form that gives me the authority to do credit and criminal checks, ask for at least two personal references, copy of the driver`s license. Based on the information I gathered, I select the best candidate, ask them to sign the lease agreement (normally for one year), two months deposits plus a reasonable security deposit.

This process works for me. Hope it works for you, too. Good luck.

TonyM

nubiwan

Registered
QUOTE (FHC @ Aug 15 2009, 11:21 AM) Hi Fisher,

During the pre-screening process, I interview prospective applicants (& co-applicants/signor in case the applicant is a student), require them to fill up the applicantion form, sign portion of the form that gives me the authority to do credit and criminal checks, ask for at least two personal references, copy of the driver`s license. Based on the information I gathered, I select the best candidate, ask them to sign the lease agreement (normally for one year), two months deposits plus a reasonable security deposit.

This process works for me. Hope it works for you, too. Good luck.

TonyM

To me this might all sound like a great idea and I tried to put together my own application form for my rentals. In the end, it becomes almost impossible to interview/screen them all, and you go with your gut on whether or not you`d trust these people with your property.

In the last 2 weeks, I rented 3 apartments and had over 100 calls from desparate people. In the end, the first people that were interested, that I liked, I gave them the keys. If I thought anyone a little odd, I simply told them to take an application, fill it out, and I had more people to show the place. That is how I got rid of them. I also try to charge enough for the places that it keeps the riff raff away.

Rental applications might work for multitenant units where a landlord or property manager wants to keep a list of people to fill the vacant units. For shmows like me renting 1 or 2 unit houses, then it`s a waste of effort and might even detract a perfectly good tenant if you ask for too much info.

Probably not an attitude supported on this forum, certainkly for someone`s first post here, but if you cannot trust your own gut feeling on a potential tenant, then you shouldn`t be doing this.

Nubi

invst4profit

Registered
I`d be willing to bet you havn`t bothered to learn the RTA either have you.

In this business if you rely on your gut you will not be in business very long and frankly you do not have the experience to even have a gut instinct about applicants.
Mom and Pop LLs get eaten alive by unscrupulous and professional tenants all the time. I hope you got real lucky with your first tenants because luck is all you have to rely on.
Sorry if I seem harsh but you have made the biggest mistake any new LL can make. I hope you survive.

Go to the Search option at the top and type in "Screening".

CarrieKoch

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Aug 20 2009, 10:52 PM) I`d be willing to bet you havn`t bothered to learn the RTA either have you.

In this business if you rely on your gut you will not be in business very long and frankly you do not have the experience to even have a gut instinct about applicants.
Mom and Pop LLs get eaten alive by unscrupulous and professional tenants all the time. I hope you got real lucky with your first tenants because luck is all you have to rely on.
Sorry if I seem harsh but you have made the biggest mistake any new LL can make. I hope you survive.

Go to the Search option at the top and type in "Screening".

I was just thinking that Greg. If you have no application, no id, no paystubs etc...how are you going to find your professional tenants when you want to go to collections. We look at the application process as though the tenant is applying for a loan.

I do go based on my gut. But not without all the information I can get. I`ve learned a lot in this business and the main thing is that their are loads of people who are very, very good at taking advantage of LL`s. And by the time you realize that you are out 3 months rent and paying them to move out before they cause you anymore harm! Didn`t notice but you better not hope you are in Ontario or you are screwed.

eddyb1978

Registered
i can`t rely on my "gut feelings" to put a stranger in a home worth 100`s of thousands!!! ... proactive screening tremendously reduces the risk of having a bad tenant...

the fact that you have checks and balances in place will deter bad tenants too at the front end of the process..

Cheers,
Eddy

fisher1

Registered
Thanks for the input. I will go search "screening" and see what other insight I can get.

PaulPoulsen

Registered
QUOTE (nubiwan @ Aug 20 2009, 08:07 PM) To me this might all sound like a great idea and I tried to put together my own application form for my rentals. In the end, it becomes almost impossible to interview/screen them all, and you go with your gut on whether or not you`d trust these people with your property.

In the last 2 weeks, I rented 3 apartments and had over 100 calls from desparate people. In the end, the first people that were interested, that I liked, I gave them the keys. If I thought anyone a little odd, I simply told them to take an application, fill it out, and I had more people to show the place. That is how I got rid of them. I also try to charge enough for the places that it keeps the riff raff away.

Rental applications might work for multitenant units where a landlord or property manager wants to keep a list of people to fill the vacant units. For shmows like me renting 1 or 2 unit houses, then it`s a waste of effort and might even detract a perfectly good tenant if you ask for too much info.

Probably not an attitude supported on this forum, certainkly for someone`s first post here, but if you cannot trust your own gut feeling on a potential tenant, then you shouldn`t be doing this.

Nubi

I couldn`t disagree more. If you`re working solely off a "gut feeling" a potential tenant, you shouldn`t be doing this.

In my opinion there are two ways a tenancy can work out:
1) The landlord does a lot of work in find a great tenant. He checks references (personal, work and current and previous landlord), searches their name on Google and Facebook, and does a credit check. All this preliminary leg work should lead the landlord to a great tenant that will ultimately reduce the amount of work the landlord has to do during the rest of the tenancy.
2) The landlord can mail it in. He can take the first person that walks through the door and seems OK. This makes the "application" process a piece of cake but it can turn the tenancy into a nightmare.
You`re going to have to do the work sooner or later. You can do it up front and save yourself a lot of grief or wait until the tenant is in there and hate life.

Every landlord needs to have prospective tenants fill out an application form and follow-up on the information provided on said form. To do any less is lazy and irresponsible.

If you can`t find a good application form, visit your local Landlord and Tenant Board. They`ll have a basic form either for free or for a small nominal fee. Or you can ask almost anyone on this forum for a copy of the application form they use.

Definitely do no take shortcuts when looking to fill a vacancy. It`s only the landlord that suffers in the end.

housingrental

Registered
Nubiwan - Was this tounge in cheek? Are you serious? Have you ever had to evict someone?

QUOTE (nubiwan @ Aug 20 2009, 10:07 PM) To me this might all sound like a great idea and I tried to put together my own application form for my rentals. In the end, it becomes almost impossible to interview/screen them all, and you go with your gut on whether or not you`d trust these people with your property.

Nubi

fisher1

Registered
When you are calling references what kind of questions are you asking to get a true insight of what they are actually like? How are you going to know that their references are not just telling you what you want to hear?

AlisonKeighan

Registered
Nubiwan, I`m thinking that if you had more than 100 calls, perhaps your rent is too low.

I pre-screen over the phone, asking such questions as: How long are you planning to rent for? Tell me about your job? Are you serious about this place or are you just looking for now? Have you already given your landlord proper notice? (This all comes from materials I got thru REIN.) It really narrows down the number of showings you have to do. That`s particularly important for me as I self-manage my properties which are 1-2 hours away from where I live.

And while I certainly don`t rely on my gut, I don`t ignore it either, particularly when things don`t "feel" right.

Alison Keighan

creditinfocanada

Registered
I wouldnt agree with all of your more, so I will offer my advice to all of you in this area as I would stress to be the actual expert in handling tenant screening.

a) First off your working with numbers and gut feelings should not be adhered to. 95% of people out there have no idea on how exactly to deduct a credit file, how to physically break down the aspects of what would be a credit seeker opposed to someone starting out, how to see if there is past bankruptcies etc.

b) Reference checks are hog wash. Lets be frank, has anyone ever called a reference where they have given a bad one, not likely.

c) Finding the perfect tenant involves treating this like a puzzle, drop the puzzle on the table and put it back together piece by piece. if the pieces dont fit, well lets be honest than it doesnt work as far as going through.

In Alberta the Provincial Court was bombarded enough with dealing with landlord/tenant matters that they had to commence the RTDS to deal with all the matters. These were the same people whom have owned property for years that all of a sudden were losing lost revenues because of skips, becuase of lost rent and because of damages.

There are professional companies that will screen for you, that rely on debt ratio and other searches other than facebook etc. to determine simply put if the numbers will gel with renting out your property.

Be very leary when doing your screening, debtors are smart, and yes gathering the CORRECT information is always handy but alot of the times does not help as much as you think it does. As a past owner of a collection agency and someone who deals with the enforcement of RTDS orders, I simply state be overly thorough and yes communication with the perspective tenant is great, but however numbers dont lie and neither do other searches that trained people in this venture can bring to the table to help you make an informed decision.

Chris Bradnam
Managing Director
Credit Info Canada
www.creditinfocanada.ca

terri

Registered
QUOTE b) Reference checks are hog wash. Lets be frank, has anyone ever called a reference where they have given a bad one, not likely.

actually, yes, on more than one occasion I`ve called current landlords for a reference check and been met with surprise because they were completely unaware that the tenant was moving out (in less than 60 days). Needless to say they did not get the apartment despite the fact they had great credit.

I firmly believe in landlord checks and in fact put more importance on that than credit reports. I`ve gotten glowing landlord references about potential tenants that had bad credit, and they turned out to be dream tenants!!!

Oh, but then I also listen to my gut instincts and so far they`ve been dead on about everyone. I have really wonderful tenants. Perhaps I`m just lucky or perhaps it`s the price point and demographic that my apts attract, but I have never had "professional" tenants, nor have I ever had to go to tribunal.

my 2cents.

T.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (terri @ Aug 24 2009, 10:44 PM) Oh, but then I also listen to my gut instincts and so far they`ve been dead on about everyone. I have really wonderful tenants. Perhaps I`m just lucky or perhaps it`s the price point and demographic that my apts attract, but I have never had "professional" tenants, nor have I ever had to go to tribunal.
my 2cents.

T.

I think the term gut instincts is being overused - what contributes to your gut instinct?
Well first do they follow through on their first commitment which is to call me 1 hr prior to the apointment, do they give me accurate phone numbers and emails and are their refernces easy to locate, and upfront with information. If they`re doing everything the right way and their credit score is low but bills are paid then its obvious why they are tenants not owners
. I`m not going to turn someone down for that. I did first viewing on an upcoming vacancy this weekend and the first people loved it and had good references, good income, solid jobs, low credit score. They are coming up with the deposit and everything looks good.
The last vacancy I had it took 2 months and at least 20 viewings to get the right people but its not hard to tell when everything comes together, anything that doesn`t I stop and take a hard look.
Gut instinct to me isn`t looking somebody in the eye and making a character judgement, rather it means when something in the equation doesn`t add up properly and you take another look. I make a character analysis through repeated interactions with an individual through various venues.

my additional $0.02

invst4profit

Registered
What the process boils down to is collecting every possible shred of evidence. Much of this may be by deceptive means in order to ferret out the genuine LL, employment and personal references from the "friends".
Gut instinct enters into the equation when analyzing the information collected. Of course experience is required in order to act on gut instinct.
Since we are dealing with renters poor credit may be expected but even bad credit requires farther investigation.
Someone with bad credit as a result of a divorce or bankruptcy is different than the individual that miss credit cards payments or cell phone bills.
I never rent to anyone that has a history of missing payments on items like cell phone bills. Those types of people are living beyond there means and likely to make poor tenants.

Itsik

Registered
What are the best Canadian websites to use to screen a tenant?

Thanks,

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (fisher1 @ Aug 21 2009, 10:24 PM) When you are calling references what kind of questions are you asking to get a true insight of what they are actually like? How are you going to know that their references are not just telling you what you want to hear?One technique that I use when talking to a reference is to deliberately throw out some incorrect information about the applicant and see if they correct me. If I`m talking to a stooge, they`ll probably agree with anything I say. If they correct the error and respond with info that does actually jive with what the applicant has said, that`s an indicator that the puzzle pieces are falling back together...

Top Bottom