Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenant Subletting My House?

TMahoney

Registered
Recently, while showing my basement suite to some potential renters, we noticed a fellow (someone we had never seen before) pull out a key and enter the main floor of our main floor suite. We already know who our tenants (3 adults) are and this guy is new. I plan to have a chat with our tenants tomorrow about this "new guy". I suspect that they are tying to defray the $1550 rent for the 1 and 1/2 level suite. However, there will be added wear and tear on the property and we really want this property to be in the same shape as it is now. The property is in Woodcroft in Edmonton and ,although I got a pretty good deal, I still paid a fair amount for this house ($375,000). What would be the best way to approach this? I`m planning to give him a copy of the lease that he signed tomorrow ( which points out that he cannot sublet the suite without my permission). I don`t want to lose him as a tenant, but I`m perturbed that he may be stretching his boundaries (or not)!!Thanks for your input, Tim

invst4profit

Registered
The only oppinion I would express is in regards to not wanting to lose a tenant,espically a good one.
Most landlords share this feeling but be carfull of this mind set influncing your approach.
I remind myself that as a landlord I am doing them a favour by providing them a place to live.
Tenants must be trained to understand and respect the rules or they lose the privledge of living in my property.
With good rules strictly inforced most tenants can be trained to be a good tenant.

SamEfford

Registered
Tim,

I take the approach that they did not understand what they were doing was wrong and against the lease. Inform them of the clause in the lease, and if you are opposed to the extra person living there, let them know that this person must vacate. If you are not opposed, after doing the proper checks, ammend the lease, and possibly raise the rent.

BoydG

Registered
Is it possible that one of your tenants has a guest or family member visiting for a few days and only has access because your tenant is at work?

Personally, I`m never willing to assume the worst.

However, if indeed this is an additional tenant not on the lease, deal with it sooner than later.

Just my $.02.

Boyd

RebeccaBryan

Registered
It`s good to always know who`s living in your properties, however I tend not to stress over tenants changing roomates, etc. If I happen by and someone else is living in one of my properties, I ask who it is and if there doesn`t seem to be any problems caused by it, then I let it go. As long as the original tenants are still there, and of course it`s not a whole tribe of people. If they are paying utilities, not bothering other tenants in the building, the rent is being paid and there is no criminal activity, then I don`t make a big deal out of it.

If your property is being respected, let them live there lives.

If you are paying utilities, it`s another matter as it affects your income. You need to take control of the situation and make it known what your expectations are.

I think it really depends on the situation.

Singh

Registered
Here`s my take on this situation, say look I definitely understand that you were aware of the contract, so here`s what will happen, you`ll be now required to pay another $300 dollars or so in rent. If they dont` agree to it, then tell them the tennant has to leave.

JPAQ

Registered
QUOTE (TMahoney @ Apr 4 2008, 03:34 AM) Recently, while showing my basement suite to some potential renters, we noticed a fellow (someone we had never seen before) pull out a key and enter the main floor of our main floor suite. We already know who our tenants (3 adults) are and this guy is new. I plan to have a chat with our tenants tomorrow about this "new guy". I suspect that they are tying to defray the $1550 rent for the 1 and 1/2 level suite. However, there will be added wear and tear on the property and we really want this property to be in the same shape as it is now. The property is in Woodcroft in Edmonton and ,although I got a pretty good deal, I still paid a fair amount for this house ($375,000). What would be the best way to approach this? I`m planning to give him a copy of the lease that he signed tomorrow ( which points out that he cannot sublet the suite without my permission). I don`t want to lose him as a tenant, but I`m perturbed that he may be stretching his boundaries (or not)!!Thanks for your input, Tim

Hello Tim,

I just had a new tenant move into one of my units and off the bat he is subleasing one of the spare rooms out. My property manager took control of the situation. They now have the option of paying a little more rent and signing the tenant to the lease or the person will be required to move out. How long has these people been renting from you?

Cheers,

Jason Paquette

mortgageman

Registered
Tim,
Be fair but be firm and explain that they have violated the lease. Give them the option of having this new guy stay... for more money and only if he checks out when you do your background checks on them.
You must maintain your control and authority position otherwise your tenants may try to take advantage in other ways. Maybe it`s a pet. Maybe they start smoking in the house, etc. You need to show that you are keeping an eye on the property and the things that are happening there.
It`s your house. They are being given the opportunity to rent it and live there so long as they play by your rules.
All the best
Jason

VicChung

REIN Member
I have a similar situation where the tenant wants to use their own lease agreement to the subletted tenants. Does anyone know the pros and cons?

Top Bottom