Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tenants Joining Forces to Save

MichelSelim

REIN Member
I appreciate your input on this. My tenant on the main floor asked me to provide them with a letter saying that they are one family with the tenant downstairs, so they get one Shaw service to the house and they split the bill.

I am wondering if there are any future implications for providing such a letter? Would it be better if I call Shaw directly and advise them as such?

My point is: O do not want them to use this letter against me saying that I am charging them two rents.

Thanks for your feedback.

ChrisDavies

Registered
I tend to avoid lying, however this is a small thing and wouldn`t have a problem.

MichelSelim

REIN Member
actually, they are related to each other. Main floor tenant refered his brother to rent the basement from me; however they are on separate leases that end at different times.

Thanks for the advice.

TerryKruse

Registered
QUOTE (MichelSelim @ Apr 9 2010, 08:18 AM) actually, they are related to each other. Main floor tenant refered his brother to rent the basement from me; however they are on separate leases that end at different times.

Thanks for the advice.

You could ask the one party to extend their lease to the farthest date and make it one lease up and down - both parties on the lease. This could be an improvement if your property has an "illegal suit".

Just an idea..
terry

dwoychuk

Registered
QUOTE (MichelSelim @ Apr 9 2010, 07:48 AM) I appreciate your input on this. My tenant on the main floor asked me to provide them with a letter saying that they are one family with the tenant downstairs, so they get one Shaw service to the house and they split the bill.

I am wondering if there are any future implications for providing such a letter? Would it be better if I call Shaw directly and advise them as such?

My point is: O do not want them to use this letter against me saying that I am charging them two rents.

Thanks for your feedback.

Why don`t they just run a network cable for internet and a cable line for TV to the other suite? Buying cable is pretty cheap and it would avoid the hassles of them sending in letters. They could just run the lines through the cold air ducts if there is no other easy access point. It is an option anyway, could depend on the setup/layout of the suites.

RCrein

Registered
Why do your tenants think you are the authority on their geneology? Why would Shaw defer to this questionable authority? Surely the tenant`s own ID documents provide far better authority for family connection. I`m surprized Shaw supports one bill for multiple residences regardless of their being relatives. One thing I wouldn`t do, is have anything to do with splitting cable services.

Top Bottom