Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tennent left us a whole lot of cleanup

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
the tennent refused to pay rent the last month of her tennancy told us we could keep her damage deposit as rent. we told her this is not possible so for the rest of the month she refused to pay rent and then left us with a mess that cost about 600 dollars to clean up...

is it possible to send the bill to a collection agency who will go after her for the money?

thanks...Stephen

TerryF

Registered
I`d call B.C. Gov. Residential Tenancy Branch or go to their website and get the Fact Sheet RTB-114: the tennent refused to pay rent the last month of her tennancy told us we could keep her damage deposit as rent. we told her this is not possible so for the rest of the month she refused to pay rent and then left us with a mess that cost about 600 dollars to clean up...

is it possible to send the bill to a collection agency who will go after her for the money?

thanks...Stephen

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
QUOTE (TerryF @ Aug 3 2009, 06:28 PM) I`d call B.C. Gov. Residential Tenancy Branch or go to their website and get the Fact Sheet RTB-114: The Dispute Resolution Process (PDF). If you did your due diligence when you first rented to her (eg. application form, checked her references/previous landlords, had a signed lease saying DD can`t be used as rent, etc. then they will do an investigation and very likely give you a judgement against her for money owing to you. I`ve not had to go this route yet myself but it looks like they will support you and help you get a resolution. Also looks like they have some ability to enforce the decision. Keep receipts for clean up costs. I think they approve around $18/hr. for cleaning charges. If you win the judgement then you also get your filing fees reimbursed at her expense.

thanks so much...I do live in BC but the property is in Alberta. does this make a differance?

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (stephen @ Aug 3 2009, 11:17 PM) thanks so much...I do live in BC but the property is in Alberta. does this make a differance?

It makes the process much simpler, and the rules are not as strict. You can keep back the damage deposit, and just send it to collections without an order, although it may be simpler to do that. If she`ll show up to the hearing it should be a slam dunk. Make sure you have pictures/recipets and evidence to back up the cleaning costs. She`s not allowed to refuse to pay the last month`s rent the way it played out.

If you don`t have a PM in town who can do the DRS process for you, I recommend Bob at ServIt.

Top Bottom