Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Term Insurance v/s Universal Insurance

VicChung

REIN Member
Hi,

Four years ago, I have purchased term insurance to protect my family as my portfolio grew. Lately, I have been looking into converting my term insurance into a Universal insurance.

Does anyone want to share their experiences as to which policy is better?

Thanks, Vic

DenisEncontre

Registered
I`m no insurance expert but my understanding is that term insurance is the most affordable, and universal has an investement component. I wise man once told me (Keith Cunningham) "never mix insurance or charity with investing" keep them seperate.

DaveL

Registered
Stick with term insurance it`s much cheaper. I know an insurance guy and they all push Universal insurance because they make a fortune off of it! They try to sell it as it`s an investment and that you can withdraw from it and eventually it will pay for itself in like 20 years... To give you an example. I got 750K term insurance on both my wife and I and pay $65 a month for 1.5M in coverage for the both of us. This was a couple years ago and I think for like 100k Universal insurance was like $600-700 a month. It was insane.

QUOTE (VicChung @ Sep 25 2010, 12:24 AM) Hi,

Four years ago, I have purchased term insurance to protect my family as my portfolio grew. Lately, I have been looking into converting my term insurance into a Universal insurance.

Does anyone want to share their experiences as to which policy is better?

Thanks, Vic

invst4profit

Registered
The purpose of insurance is to protect your loved ones future in the event of your death. As a wise investor the amount of coverage required to protect there future should diminish with time.
Load up with term now when needed the most and reduce the coverage as premiums increase and the need for coverage becomes less important.
My intention is to eliminate my insurance coverage completely by age 65. I expect our financial situation to be such that my death should have negligible negative financial impact on my wife in the event of my death after that point in time.
As far as my kids are concerned they are capable of taking care of themselves.

DenisEncontre

Registered
I totaly agree with you Greg. I renewed my term policy 8 years ago on a 20 year term, so i currently have 12 more years left. I will be 63 when the policy ends and have know intentions of renewing at that time. Money is for the living and I don`t beleive that my death should be a like lotto winning to my heirs. Don`t get me wrong, I will still be leaving them with a substantial portfolio which if they choose to keep will look after them for the rest of their lives.

MRieger

Registered
QUOTE (rcprog @ Sep 25 2010, 07:23 AM) I`m no insurance expert but my understanding is that term insurance is the most affordable, and universal has an investement component. I wise man once told me (Keith Cunningham) "never mix insurance or charity with investing" keep them seperate.

I am not an insurance broker...but am familiar with the products. If it is your intention to provide a guaranteed payout to your beneficiaries, then Universal Life Insurance can do this for you or whole life insurance. Only buy it if this is your intention and only go with the 10 year guarantee investmetn option. All the funds in the UL contracts have 3% annual costs...which means they almost never work out properly.

If you do not want the guaranteed payout to your beneficiaries...then stick with term insurance.

Mecheng

Registered
QUOTE (MRieger @ Sep 25 2010, 09:53 PM) I am not an insurance broker...but am familiar with the products. If it is your intention to provide a guaranteed payout to your beneficiaries, then Universal Life Insurance can do this for you or whole life insurance. Only buy it if this is your intention and only go with the 10 year guarantee investmetn option. All the funds in the UL contracts have 3% annual costs...which means they almost never work out properly.

If you do not want the guaranteed payout to your beneficiaries...then stick with term insurance.

Insurance is an expense and it is best to minimize your expenses.
These universal and whole life insurance policies always cost more because you pay the same amount for the insurance portion and an additional amount to be invested for you after appropriate management fees are taken of course.

Insurance sales people always talk about taking care of your family because it is important and touches people emotionally.
What is the rule about making investments with your emotions again?
Isn`t the best way to take care of your family, to teach them how to take care of themselves?

As far as a payout to your beneficiaries, of course you need insurance to fill the financial gap in the event of your passing while you have negative financial obligations to be taken care of but ideally at some point, say at retirement, one would have a net worth that can support them and therefore would be leaving a guaranteed payout by way if inheritance. No need for additional payout thru insurance so at this point, you have no reason to be paying the additional expense of insurance at all.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (MRieger @ Sep 25 2010, 09:53 PM) I am not an insurance broker...but am familiar with the products. If it is your intention to provide a guaranteed payout to your beneficiaries, then Universal Life Insurance can do this for you or whole life insurance. Only buy it if this is your intention and only go with the 10 year guarantee investmetn option. All the funds in the UL contracts have 3% annual costs...which means they almost never work out properly.

Ummm.. I`m highly willing to be educated on this matter, but doesn`t term insurance include a guaranteed payout to your beneficiaries. In fact, that`s entirely the point of term insurance. It pays out a guaranteed amount to your beneficiaries on your death, but nothing else. Universal and whole life payout on your death but also gain cash value as investments, and are much more expensive.

As I said, if I`m mistaken in this please feel free to correct, as insurance is not my forte.

Michael

DaveL

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Sep 26 2010, 07:30 PM) Ummm.. I`m highly willing to be educated on this matter, but doesn`t term insurance include a guaranteed payout to your beneficiaries. In fact, that`s entirely the point of term insurance. It pays out a guaranteed amount to your beneficiaries on your death, but nothing else. Universal and whole life payout on your death but also gain cash value as investments, and are much more expensive.

As I said, if I`m mistaken in this please feel free to correct, as insurance is not my forte.

Michael

Michael he is referring to the guaranteed option for renewal in case a life event happened to you where the insurance company would not want to renew your policy going forward. Yes term insurance is a lump sum payout at death. The older you get the less insurance you should need as hopefully you are making wise investment choices. I do thinki it is important though to buy some term insurance to cover any capital gains (if any).

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (DaveL @ Sep 26 2010, 09:22 PM) Michael he is referring to the guaranteed option for renewal in case a life event happened to you where the insurance company would not want to renew your policy going forward. Yes term insurance is a lump sum payout at death. The older you get the less insurance you should need as hopefully you are making wise investment choices. I do thinki it is important though to buy some term insurance to cover any capital gains (if any).

Universal insurance in theory has two components. True life insurance, i.e. when you and/or your spouse (depending on the insurance) croak there will be a payment similar to term insurance. The second component is a tax protected investment plan where you can build up an investment that upon your passing (to another dimension) will be paid out to your survivor or your company to offset a hefty tax bill associated with your estate where everything will be deemed sold (inheritance taxes, etc.).

The theory is great but... in practice the commissions are so high that one`s investments have to outperform the markets significantly. Mine I had for over ten years and... I lost 30% of my investment instead of having tripled my money by the time I would be 65 (still 7 years to go). I sold everything off and just transferred the remainder to my discount brokerage (that was 6 mos ago). Guess what, finally I am making money. Problem is that I cannot deduct my earlier losses from my taxes (it sat in a tax free account). So now even if I recover to the level I originally invested, I will still have to pay additional taxes on the recover `profits`.

My advice: Buy term insurance and invest tax free in your TFSA ($5000 per year max contribution) the rest put in your RRSP. Check with your accountant and if you have one with your financial planner.

A lot of people don`t understand the difference between a stock broker and a financial planner. So here a quick note: A stock broker sells you stocks, bonds and mutual funds. A financial planner advises you on how to set up your finances, including your your roadmap to Belize. But... how do they get paid? By selling you things such as universal insurance and mutual funds and whatever else they can sell you, e.g. off-the-shelf holding companies, even MICS and real estate.

Always look behind the curtain. Sometimes it is better to have a fee-based planner. But even with those it is sometimes rough sailing. Good financial planners just like good realtors and good brokers are hard to find. So, give them a little bit at a time so they can prove their worth. Overtime you will figure out who belongs on your team and who doesn`t. Any of these paid team members will have to prove how good they are and that they act first in your interest. If you do well, they will get more of your business and they will do well too.

housingrental

Registered
Fee based planner is good advice Godfreid
A decent portfolio is needed to justify
For someone of less means the best first step is going through some books on their own

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (DaveL @ Sep 25 2010, 07:31 AM) Stick with term insurance it`s much cheaper. I know an insurance guy and they all push Universal insurance because they make a fortune off of it! They try to sell it as it`s an investment and that you can withdraw from it and eventually it will pay for itself in like 20 years... To give you an example. I got 750K term insurance on both my wife and I and pay $65 a month for 1.5M in coverage for the both of us. This was a couple years ago and I think for like 100k Universal insurance was like $600-700 a month. It was insane.
true .. but the rate in 10 years will go UP dramatically with term insurance, to the point where in 20 years the universal and term insurance are similar ...

Example: 10 year term for a 50 year old male for $1M is about $120/month .. for a 40 year old about $50 .. and for a 60 year old about $400 .. about the same as a universal policy ! 600-700/month for 100K sounds absurd ... I have seen rates much lower. Shop around.

consider buying universal insurance within a company that holds real estate as you will get it tax free to allow you to pay estate taxes or pay off a large mortgage.

Top Bottom