Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Terrible Property Manager

brentassenheimer

Registered
I don`t know if I`ll get in trouble for this but I feel that this is valuable information for other inverstors. I had a few of my properties managed by Kirkside as a test drive to see if they could do all of them. Well I have to say it was worse than manging myself. They sent me monthly statements that I couldn`t understand, I do all my own book keeping so i sould be able to read a monthly statement with no problem. During the time they managed for us I still received multiple calls from the tenants because they didn`t get anywhere with Kirkside. Kirkside had a 13% vacancy rate for the 7 months they manged for us which I think is ridiculous considering Edmonton has a 2% vacancy rate. Also when we fired them there was seveal thousand dollars in uncollected rent that we had to take care of. They also didn`t hold back money from damage deposits for damage to suites so we were out the repair costs in the end. Finally when I got the paper work back from them I am still missing three check in reports which could cause me more losses as I can`t hold back money for damages without them. In short I strongly recommend not hiring Kirkside.

LornaRush

Registered
Good Morning, Thanks for the heads up about Kirkside. they apparently give the same service, or lack of service, as Celtic Management, who I am currently stuck with. Do you have any suggestions for a good management company? Who are you currently using? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks so much.
Lorna Rush
[email protected]
ph #604-351-6399

brentassenheimer

Registered
QUOTE (LornaRush @ Apr 16 2008, 09:08 AM) Good Morning, Thanks for the heads up about Kirkside. they apparently give the same service, or lack of service, as Celtic Management, who I am currently stuck with. Do you have any suggestions for a good management company? Who are you currently using? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks so much.
Lorna Rush
[email protected]
ph #604-351-6399

Sorry I haven`t found one yet. I`m in the same position as you...looking. It is better to do it yourself until you find a good reliable property manager. Sorry I could help more.

styler91

Registered
Hi,

I am in the same boat as you my friend with respect to Kirkside. Only one property with them though. I have spoken with a few REIN Members who have used or are using them as well and all have the same results.

I wonder if we could have a member resource directory that provides feedback on bad experiences or not recommended vendors? Possibly adding a "recommended" and "not recommended" heading under each resource?

Do you know of any PM that is actually decent in Edmonton?

We want to fire kirkside but don`t want to make the same mistake twice.

Tyler

OldHound

Registered
We have used Kirkside and I know another 6 plus people who have done the same. They are horrible and I would not recommend them to anyone. The others I have talked to have all fired them since and I am in the process. Not a clue who I`ll go with next, seems very hard to find quality property managment anywhere!

KeenanTameling

Registered
Hi All,

Sorry to hear you`re having property management troubles and frustrations. We would love to hear from you and see if we can meet your expectations. Talk to Dave & Drew and they will fill you in on our property management company. We very much subscribe to the REIN philosophies of tenant management and are proactive in taking care of your properties.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Keenan

ChrisDavies

Registered
As a side note, this thread should be passed along to the poor property management firms in question. You never get better if you don`t know what you did wrong.

craigw

Registered
I also had my property with Celtic managment. After three months with no tenants and Celtic trying to get me to lower my rent every week I switched to Libertas. I have been with them for about a month and so far so good.
Craig

sfraser

Registered
It seems like there is some common threads in all these replies...hmmm...Kirkside. I can add my name to the list of dissatisfied clients (soon to be x-client). It amazes me how companies such as these folks (and others mentioned) still remain in business. We are trying two different PM companies currently, with Kirkside on the exit program in 12 days, but not sure how they will work out. If you want to discuss further, please contact me via email.

Best of luck folks!

Shamon

Registered
Hi All, This may seem like a weird question coming from me, but did Libertas just go bankrupt?

QUOTE (styler91 @ Apr 16 2008, 11:44 AM) thanks, I am goint to look at the REIN member headed - Libertas

TylerUzelman

REIN Member
Shamon,

Great question... No, Libertas Property Management Inc. has not gone bankrupt.
You are probably referring to the exit out of the Calgary market.
LPMI has decided to focus it`s efforts on the growing Edmonton and area market.
In conjunction with this, in the next 4 months, LPMI will be opening it`s Real Estate Sales division, primarily helping investors find properties that work, from it`s experience as a property management company.
Libertas Property Management looks forward to helping investors in Edmonton from the purchase through the management of their investments.
For more information please feel free to email me.

Shamon

Registered
QUOTE (Shamon @ Mar 22 2010, 06:54 PM) Hi All, This may seem like a weird question coming from me, but did Libertas just go bankrupt?

I see...thanks for the note. I didn`t think so anyway.

On that note, Hope Street has picked up several new clients in Calgary all claiming that their previous manager went "belly up" and ran off with tenants security deposits and rent owing to the owners. Obviously, this mysterious property management comany wasn`t liscensed through RECA.

...Just goes to show how important it is to ensure that a property management firm has the appropriate liscensing and report any illegal practicioners.

Top Bottom