Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Thanks to the action-takers...

BLongstreet

Registered
Don, Russell, my friends and fellow investors. It was 24 months ago that, after having read "Real Estate Investing in Canada", I stood here during QuickStart amid a roomful of experienced investors and excited newcomers and made a commitment to myself. Throughout the intervening time at our monthly meetings, I sat in my chair, hearing the stories of people who had taken action, and was constantly reminded of the 3 principles of sophisticated investing: systems, relationships and follow-through. But was I truly listening? Over time, I learned more and more about the system for sophisticated real estate investing, but for ever so long was stuck in a holding pattern. You may have heard of this pattern: analysis paralysis.

As the months went by, I felt more and more like an imposter surrounded by the real thing, somewhat fearful that I`d be noticed as the pretender I felt I was. But something happened. Seventeen months after joining REIN, I sat there and, for the first time, actually paid attention to the success stories presented by our fellow investors.

There must have been twenty or more REIN members at the microphone, and as the line grew shorter and shorter, as the stories of closing on a property, of making an offer, of finding another Dream Team member, of helping others and making a difference, of reaching a Personal Belize continued, the impact of their successes contradicted all too harshly with what I had achieved. And anger grew within me.

As the last storyteller stepped back from the microphone to his seat and the applause waned, I finally got to a point, entirely frustrated with myself. I knew I couldn`t sit by, inactive, any longer. And finally the key behind their successes hit home. It was a "eureka" moment: I saw and understood. In every success story was the third pillar – follow-through.

I had a commitment to uphold and it was past time to honour that.

The system was proven and I`d established some key relationships, but not every one I wanted. I`d also vacillated for months and months about where to invest, always trying to select the perfect town but never feeling entirely certain that was it.

It wasn`t until the Bus Trip (BUS NUMBER 4!) that an important element, maybe even the deciding factor, finally presented itself. Throughout the entirety of our trip, I was impressed by the enthusiasm and expertise of Val Novak and Trudi Johnson, the guides on our bus. Right away, I set up an initial meeting in the week following, the results of which brings me to this writing.

To say that Val and Trudi helped me, guided and encouraged me can`t express the magnitude of all they`ve done for me. To say that I owe everything to these two wonderful ladies would be an overstatement, but I likely wouldn`t be writing this without their dedication to my success.

My wonderful and supportive wife and I now own a first and second slice of Whitby plus a small bit of Hamilton. When all the papers were signed and sealed, Val and Trudi couldn`t help but laugh; I`d gone from a sideliner to a headliner in such a short time – a matter of a few short weeks. Most of this success is the result of the support I received from them, but much of the credit is due to the never-ending stream of action-takers who provoked and inspired me to put in an offer, to the presenters who`ve made the system easy to use, and to you, Don and Russell for your solid leadership. Sincerely and profoundly, thank you every one for what you`ve done for me.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Congratulations. Now I guess you can see why REIN Membership is a minimum 17 months, yet many members stay for over 10 years.

Information is king, in all markets, whether you decide that it is time to buy, or time to sell - you need information, youneed strategies and you need support. Market is up - strategies and research for that. Market cools off - strategies and information for that. And in all times, with support, you can remove the emotions (of fear and greed) from the equation... and just cooly work your system.

Great job, and I think the key line in your message is that you remembered that the commitment you made was to yourself and no one else... and unlike the masses, you actually decided to keep your commitment. CONGRATULATIONS!

Top Bottom