Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Competition Bureau deems MLS anti-competitive

jwilbrin

Registered
Just came across this very interesting article.

After a lengthy investigation, the Competition Bureau has deemed the Canadian Real Estate Association restricting MLS to realtors only is anti-competitive. The bureau wants sellers to be able to sell their own properties on the MLS without having to pay realtor commission fees.

The Canadian Real Estate Association has agreed to settle... mmmm... This should be very interesting. I`m excited to see how this will play out.

You can read the article here: http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=CalgaryHome

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks. interesting. Good news for us the investors. However, will this mean the end of a realtor career for like 50% of the realtors in Canada!?

Also, what are the current top "For Sale by Owner" sites for Ontario? TX.

housingrental

Registered
I think open access to mls will be blocked

Can you imagine how many more horror stories on:

People getting ripped off paying too much by being misled by the seller

Buyers being bankrupted from properties that need extensive repairs they weren`t aware of prior to buying

There would be

Nir

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 4 2009, 04:14 PM) I think open access to mls will be blocked

Can you imagine how many more horror stories on:

People getting ripped off paying too much by being misled by the seller

Buyers being bankrupted from properties that need extensive repairs they weren`t aware of prior to buying

There would be

Actually economics teaches that in free markets forces correct themselves, and horror stories are not expected to that extent in the longer term significantly more than without open mls. for example, perhaps home inspection would be more common. another way to explain this is: the % of foolish people in the world will not increase by opening mls. 100 years you could say the same thing about buying stocks freely..

Top Bottom