Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Same 4 Cats

LAndersen

Registered
If nothing else, it has certainly stirred the pot! More new topics would be nice but we can only bring up topics that people want to talk about.

richardkp

REIN Member
I think that the 4 cats + Adam provide some of the most valuable, straight forward advice that we can get at and for me they are usually the first posts that I read as I know if they have weighed in then it is worth reading.

To post a reply to some of the topics it has to be a good question / topic opener and something you know enough about to offer a valid opinion. Trying to get the new members to join in the conversation is difficult as they may not know anything about the subject.

I like this forum just the way it is and the "like/dislike" is way to subjective to put in place.

Just my 2 cents!

housingrental

Registered
Thank you for the response REIN

And thank you for not deleting my post on the first page !!!!

I think there is a consistency of objective between us and I strive to - and deliver - this safe haven ideal in all my posts. I believe a more broad acceptance of alternate view points - and critiques of other posters suggestions - should be considered. These are the topics that often generate what Wade is hoping for - diverse opinions, new posters - and a varied poster perspective REIN forum is of huge benefit to real estate investors.

The alternative, deleting and thoroughly editing posts - often without mention to the poster or offering of poster to edit if needed - has made all of us worse off. This prevents readers being misled by a poster that has posted incorrect information, or has posted an opinion as fact, and helps to attract new readers and posters on an ongoing basis. I've heard from others who share this thought, and eventually they don't bother anymore with this site because of this.

Lets start with bringing back topics on the ethics of certain quick turn transactions.

[quote user=MemberSupport]The purpose of this forum is to create an incredible online resource for real estate investors - a place they can go to get their real estate questions answered in a supportive environment, without being ridiculed or patronized. Useful information, tips and tricks, shared experiences, and expert advice - those are the objectives. 99.9 % of the posts on this forum contribute positively towards that purpose.

From time to time, controversial debate arises. That's okay, since public debate on tricky issues is often heathy, informative, and even entertaining.

REIN does not moderate/delete contributions to topics because they are controversial. REIN moderates/deletes posts that work against the goal of providing a safe haven for real esate questions to be asked and answered.

REIN, and the users of this forum appreciate all contributions that support the "safe haven" ideal.

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=RedlineBrett]It's probably getting stale for you because you've been around for a few years and are getting more experienced. Hence less new stuff for you.

This is true and partially inevitable. There are other forums around the internet where I've made thousands of posts, but haven't logged in for years, as I've moved on from the activities in question due to changes in circumstances. (One was related to a former business I've replaced with RE investing, or hobbies I don't follow closely anymore)

Ultimately, once you've achieved mastery of something, discussing it at an elemental level will only hold interest for so long.

I was somewhere between surprised, disappointed, and honoured to be indentified in the original post. I certainly learn lots here from those who have more/different knowledge than myself, and try to help others wherever I can as a "pay it forward."

Another factor (imo) is that many formerly active members have their own websites/blogs/newsletters/podcasts or whatever, which takes content that would have formerly been on the forum and moves it elsewhere. I understand that many are motivated to attract capital, and respect that, but it does reduce the number of new topics on the forum.

This leads me to a (only tangentially, maybe I should put this in a new thread) related question. How much experience do you all feel is necessary to portray yourself as an expert for the purposes of selling education/mentoring/JV opportunities/money management, etc? I personally don't think I'd feel comfortable managing other peoples money without one full up and full down cycle using my own money in a similar investment, but would be curious what other's thoughts are on when that's an appropriate transition for an investor?

Regards,

Michael

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=kfort]Perhaps an "agree" or "+1" button (w/ running total) in addition to the 5 star system? Similar to the "like" button but possibly a more clear intention. My $.02

Another forum I participate in uses a "thanks" system. Each poster can give out a certain number of "thanks" every 24 hours. You can thank a post by clicking a button beside it, and it displays who has thanked a post at the bottom.

I can't think of any reason to have a dislike feature. This is one of the most polite and professional forums I've encountered, and I think that's valuable.

Regards,

Michael

dplummer

Registered
I have found the same 4 cats very helpful & enjoy reading their posts. Their insight & experience is priceless. Boring or not , please keep the posts coming.

Doug

Tony Miller

Ottawa's Investor Focused Realtor
Registered
Almost three years ago, one of the 4 cats responded to one of my posts (I post infrequently). My post was probably routine, stale, "same old same old" for the advanced investors on this board. The advice contained in the response from the Cat helped me move my small RE portfolio forward and I am extremely thankful that the individual took the time to help me ( and I'm not even a REIN Member).

IMO, leave the "like" and "dislike" buttons for Facebook...although the "thanks" button might give the site a friendly, sincere and classy feel about it.

jonathanb

Registered
I think it takes a while for some to get the confidence to post. I was on here for a while before even asking my first question. There's lots of useful information of this board and you can learn a lot from just lurking :)

When someone asks a question, the fear is that you could give them bad, or even useless information. Its nice to have "the same 4 cats" who are confindent enough, and dont mind spending the time to help people out. Its been of benifit to me.

invst4profit

Registered
I have actually tried in the past to terminate my forum membership and stop posting cold turkey, the moderators can confirm this fact, but obviously was unsuccessful. It uses up too much valuable time but unfortunately I believe I am addicted to Internet forums. I was actually in the middle of doing dishes when I logged on to my computer 45 minutes ago.

I have found with past forum involvement that my interest tends to wane every few years as my immediate life interests change. Although being a landlord will continue it may not remain in the forefront of my daily interests.

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
Well the forum is as good as we want it to make it. I certainly appreciate the feedback (positive/negative) that I get when I post my questions or comments. Yet, I would like see some functionality to block a member (from my view only) as I no longer feel like he/she provides much value.

There are some who just like to flap their lips or feel obligated to reply to a post without providing much other than sarcastic reply. (This being one of them!).

Top Bottom