Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Time for a BETTER Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

JefferyJohn

Registered
Fundamentals may be strong . . . but don`t underestimate the force of emotions driving the market.

As doom & gloom headlines try their best to sell papers and spread fear, we create a self-fulfilling prophecy. Fear causes paralysis: purse strings tighten, and gives the media even more gloomy headlines to sell. Everyone loves to spread a tragedy!

There is something to be done and it requires your involvement. You are in these conversations everyday - you must turn them around. Keep some good news in your back pocket and use it as conversation starter; spin a fearful conversation into a hopeful one. Hope, also, is contagious and we can harness the power of the self-fulfilling prophecy to our advantage.

In the midst of global economic confusion:
Did you know Alberta has a $15.8 BILLION rainy day fund?
Did you know Alberta will NOT be running a deficit this year?
Did you know Alberta`s revenue for the year is now pegged at $39.9 billion, up $1.3 billion from the budget?
Did you know Alberta has a projected surplus of $2 billion even after taking the last few months conditions into consideration?
(source: Edmonton Journal (Archie Mclean), November 18, 2008)

How many jurisdictions in the world can compare?

Obviously blowing sunshine around is a simplistic solution - but I challenge you to make the world around you a little more hopeful, we have MUCH to be grateful for! Don`t underestimate the influence you have- stick your neck out and use it. Don`t be afraid of a little criticism.

Here`s your simple task:
1. Find some good news. Post examples here for the rest of us to glean from and spread around.
2. Next time you find yourself chatting with your next door "economist", pull out the good news and preach it.
3. Share your experiences here and let us know how it went.

Be well,
Jeff

Jeff Sutherland
Associate, Industrial Division Sales & Leasing
RE/MAX Commercial

wbullock

Registered
Hear, Hear, Jeff!

To add to your list of positives, there is a lot of talk about the slowdown in the oil industry services for Fort McMurray. I work for a construction company that has been directly affected by the delay of the Voyageur project by Suncor, and I`m hearing that there is STILL a shortage of skilled labour in Alberta! They have begun layoffs, but mostly of the non-skilled, or troublesome labourers. Yes, my company has lost a good 50% of the next year`s revenues, but the new projected revenues are still higher than 2005, and on par with 2006. This is a time to keep perspective, rather than bow to the fear projected at us from all directions.

Bill

RedlineBrett

Registered
Thanks for the good news! Great post!

QUOTE (JefferyJohn @ Nov 18 2008, 02:50 PM) Fundamentals may be strong . . . but don`t underestimate the force of emotions.

As doom & gloom headlines try their best to sell papers and spread fear, we create a self-fulfilling prophecy. Fear causes paralysis: purse strings tighten, and gives the media even more gloomy headlines to sell. Everyone loves to spread a tragedy!

However, there is something to be done and it requires your involvement. You are in these conversations everyday - turn them around! Keep some good news in your back pocket and use it as conversation starter, or to spin a fearful conversation into a hopeful one. Hope, also, is contagious and we can harness the power of the self-fulfilling prophecy to our advantage.

In the midst of global economic confusion:
Did you know Alberta has a $15.8 BILLION rainy day fund?
Did you know Alberta will NOT be running a deficit this year?
Did you know Alberta`s revenue for the year is now pegged at $39.9 billion, up $1.3 billion from the budget?
Did you know Alberta has a projected surplus of $2 billion even after taking the last few months conditions into consideration?

How many jurisdictions in the world can compare?

Obviously blowing sunshine around is a simplistic solution - but I challenge you to make the world around you a little more hopeful, we have MUCH to be grateful for!

Be well,
Jeff

Jeff Sutherland
Associate, Industrial Division
RE/MAX Commercial

ZanderRobertson

Registered
exactly, but statistics don`t even do justice to on the ground experience. Just driving around Edmonton is enough to remind me that it isn`t so bad, projects are ticking along, and people seem to have places to go, they`re still working! I for one will wake up tomorrow, eat breakfast, pay some bills, go to work, fuel up my vehicle, use my phone, buy groceries etc.
Thanks for the post!

joe123

Registered
Yeah, good post. It always cracks me up in my office people talking gloom and doom, the economy sucks etc... then they`ll talk about the new boat they just bought, how freakin busy they are and how such and such company is hiring and thier buddy just got a job for tons more... but oh the headlines are bad so I better panic and sell my house for dirt cheap
style_emoticons

I found that these people just need a little coaching, such as asking them if they are afraid of losing their job, or if things have ever been this good for them etc... Stirs them positive, until the next headline at least... wow, is common sense disappearing???

Top Bottom