Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Totally new to real estate investing and looking for guidance

daamole

Registered
Hello all,

I am a new member on the forum (just joined Aug 1). I am also relatively new in the country but have been interested for some time now of building wealth and achieving financial freedom. I have looked at stocks and real estate as vehicles to help me achive these objectives. Right now, I am reading some books on real estate investing in Canada including Don`s 2 books (Real Estate Investing In Canada and 97 Secrets....). I really want to set out on this journey but I need a lot of guidance on many things: what to do, how to start, things to note etc I mention I am relatively new in the country and immigrated from Africa, so my limited knowledge of cities and towns in Canada and other information might be a disadvatage I guess.

I have read a lot of posts on this forums and many of them have been informative and insightful. I also get a sense that most of the peope on the forums are investors who are doing real good.

Can anybody provide me guidance and mentorship as I seek to become a real estate investor. I live in Brampton and local mentorship will also help tremendously.

Thanks.

Damian.

daamole

Registered
QUOTE (MikeMcCrae @ Aug 1 2008, 12:13 PM) Where do you live now?

Hi Mike, I live in Brampton, ON. About 40 minutes from Toronto.

writeabooknow

Registered
Hi!

Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions! And keep asking until you get a concensus for the answer. Use this website relentlessly. Attend REIN meetings and bring your list of questions with you. Go up to groups of people and simply ask, "Can anyone help me with a question I`ve got... and if not, perhaps you know someone who can."
Mentoring should be a good idea, but the folks you`d really want as mentors just don`t have the time... still, they`re very giving for one or two questions. But make sure your questions are as specific as you can make them.
As to the concensus part, everyone `thinks` they know the answer. (Just ask a relative... they`ll tell you) But if three or four REIN members tell you the same thing there`s probably a lot of truth in it, backed by experience.
Cheers,
Steve

daamole

Registered
QUOTE (writeabooknow @ Aug 4 2008, 02:01 PM) Hi!

Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions! And keep asking until you get a concensus for the answer. Use this website relentlessly. Attend REIN meetings and bring your list of questions with you. Go up to groups of people and simply ask, "Can anyone help me with a question I`ve got... and if not, perhaps you know someone who can."
Mentoring should be a good idea, but the folks you`d really want as mentors just don`t have the time... still, they`re very giving for one or two questions. But make sure your questions are as specific as you can make them.
As to the concensus part, everyone `thinks` they know the answer. (Just ask a relative... they`ll tell you) But if three or four REIN members tell you the same thing there`s probably a lot of truth in it, backed by experience.
Cheers,
Steve

Thanks so much. Your advice is well appreciated.

Top Bottom