Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Townhome complex purchase possible?

NickDavis

REIN Member
Hello, I have spent a few hours on the forum searching to see if this type of question has already been answered but couldn`t find anything.

I know even looking into something like this for someone who is not experienced in RE investing is insane - but I wouldn’t mind getting some questions answered and let`s just say I am trying to learn everything first!

There is a Townhome Complex where 15 of the 20 units are for sale. The units have been for sale for quite some time and the asking price has dropped 35%. The complex is 30-35 years old but the current asking price for each unit seems far below market value (at first glance.) The units are for sale individually or combined. I assume if one were to make an offer for all 15 the price would be even more attractive. The complex is in a top 10 town in BC. Obviously there is a reason these units haven’t sold and looking at a complex that is 30-35 years old there will definitely be immediate renovation costs; however, I assume that this would also be a great way to be able to bring the rents to market value.
So here are my main questions:
• Regarding mortgage options, would it make more sense for an investor to look at each individual unit or the majority of the complex? Through some of the questions and answers on the forum I assume a 15% down payment would be possible on a mortgage for all 15? Or, since they are individual units is a single mortgage even possible?
• Would a lender consider looking at appraising the property by current value plus improvements or is that only possible after the improvements are made? For example, would the down payment be a percentage of purchase price plus improvements or would the improvements have to come from a separate budget? Consider the improvements being 20% of the purchase price.

Basically, here is what I am getting at:

Buy all 15 units @ $90K each for $1,350,000
Invest $20K per unit for $300,000
Total investment $1,650,000
Down payment of $247,500 (15%)
25 year mortgage based on $1,402,500 plus CMHC and all other costs
$1,402,500 mortgage over 25 years at 8% = approx.. $11,000/mo
Average rent of $1400 X 15 units = $21,000/mo
Or
Buy 1 unit at a time for $100,000
Invest $20K for total of $120,000
Down payment of $12,000 (10%)
25 year mortgage based on $108,000 plus CMHC and all other costs
$108,000 mortgage over 25 years at 8% = approx.. $825
Average rent of $1400

Am I making any sense here?? BTW – I started the calculations with $1400/mo X 15units X 12 months = $252,000(annual income) / $1,650,000(total investment) = 15%

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Nick

NickDavis

REIN Member
UPDATE:

Took a drive by the complex today and the condition is even worse than expected. They would definitely be classified as slum housing and run down; however, I am not totally convinced they cannot be salvaged. It will take a closer look by someone far more experienced than me today and probably even in five years. That being said I am still very interested in knowing the forums thoughts and I am especially looking forward to hearing from Thomas.

Thanks again!

Nick

rick21

Registered
Hi Nick

We shared some thoughts a while back on here and determined we were having some of the same ideas. I have since joined REIN and I am going through the process of figuring out my strategy. I live in North Vancouver and when you get some time I`d like to meet you for a coffee.

I did a little research on the property you are talking about, if you google the complex you should get a history detailing what is going on and why the pricing is such.

Rick

NickDavis

REIN Member
Thanks Rick, I should have thought about that! Google can give you answers on everything. Honestly, I didn`t actually think there were places like that in BC.

I`d love to get together for a coffee. I tried to PM you but I didn`t realize the feature was disabled. Give me a call tomorrow if you can 778-888-4802.

Thanks,

Nick

tbarcier

Registered
Wow! That place sounds like it just needs to be bulldozed! I can even imagine paying 100,000 for each of those. I like how the pictures are from 10 years ago! I hope you have ALOT of money to invest in repairs.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
buy one .. see how it works out .. then maybe buy all remaining 14 !

walk the property and the area before you remove conditions .. stay overnight too !

Talk to some tenants .. they know s.th. that you don`t .. what is it ??

housingrental

Registered
Where can I see the pictures / info?

QUOTE (tbarcier @ Oct 21 2009, 03:16 PM) Wow! That place sounds like it just needs to be bulldozed! I can even imagine paying 100,000 for each of those. I like how the pictures are from 10 years ago! I hope you have ALOT of money to invest in repairs.

tbarcier

Registered
Its called Northumberland Court. You should go to www.mrccc.org. You can Google it too. It`s quite scary to read.

housingrental

Registered
Is this really true ?
From that website:

January 07, 2006

The strata holds its Annual General Meeting. Jack Athwal as majority owner controls the vote on all issues and is chair of the strata. Jack Athwal informs all other owners if they are not happy with the situation they can move. There is an admission of problems with rats in building 11731, the burnt out building.

As chair, Jack Athwal, using his majority of votes, increases the monthly strata fees.

Jack Athwal informs other owners that he will become the general contractor in regards to the repairs on building 11731. There was a suggestion from the floor that Mr Atwhal may be in a conflict of interest over the reconstruction of building 11731 and should step down.

The strata council is voted in. The chair will be Jack Athwal with the other two directors being from his immediate family.

September 23, 2006

The strata council attempts another meeting. Jack Athwal is asked to step down as chair and refuses.

Calls from the floor for the resignation of the entire board - refused.

Other owners complain about water being shut off for 5 days. Postal worker was injured after falling through deck.

Owners demand to know where strata funds have gone to. Stated in minutes that no repairs have been done, and no financial statements are being provided.

September 06, 2006

Local assistant to Fire commissioner finds that: "There are serious fire and life safety issues associated with the above referenced premises (Northumberland Court)"

tbarcier

Registered
Keep reading , it gets much, much worse. Its is listed on ICX. I only know about it from this thread. I just did some research.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (tbarcier @ Oct 21 2009, 06:09 PM) Its called Northumberland Court. You should go to www.mrccc.org. You can Google it too. It`s quite scary to read.
wow .. 90/door is way too much ..

It is worth LAND VALUE .. structures are worth BASICALLY NOTHING .. so if you can buy the units for maybe 30-40/door it may make sense to spend another 30-40K each rehabbing it .. then re-finance .. but essentially this is a construction project where the bulldozer or a major re-hab (if structurally sound and little rot/mold) maybe the only answer.

I am surprised the city has not shut it down / condemned yet !

Stay away unless you have $1M in clear cash to spend on it (purchase price + upgrade) as no one will give you a mortgage !!

NickDavis

REIN Member
Yes, I couldn`t believe my eyes when I saw the buildings and then read the stories. As I said before I didn`t ever imagine this stuff actually happened. It seems that the City has let down its citizens in this case. I really feel for the 5 people that own the other units. Their home is worth absolutely nothing now and they couldn`t even sell them if they tried. There are some decent apartments across the road but it isn`t the nicest area of town either.

Too bad there isn`t anything anyone can do.

Thanks for everyone’s input in this.

Nick

Top Bottom