Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRANSITION IMPOSSIBLE

BenSanderson

Registered
I haven't been at the investing game very long, but since I started last Fall, I've been able to pick up two properties. One I have successfully filled with a great Rent To Own tenant and the other closes this April. The purchases of both were quite a bit of work for a newbie like me, but they were indeed great learning experiences. I knew this was the right path for me and I could see the potential in REI for building steady wealth over time.

This wealth generating power of real estate was not lost on my parents. Now having been retired for a few years, my parents have only modest pensions and are finding it difficult to stay afloat financially without having to pick up part time work here and there. It wasn't exactly the retirement they had wanted, and I didn't want it for them either. As they watched me fill (and later begin to profit from) my first RTO property, they were eager to become my first joint venture partners. I was a little nervous about bringing them on so early in the game, but after much discussion, we agreed that we could all live with the risk, and that the rewards were surely worth it.

So we set out a plan. Over the next year, my parents would fund the purchase of two RTO houses using their Home Equity Line of Credit. My Aunt would do the same, counting two for her, and again using her HELOC to finance them. My wife and I would also try and pick up our third RTO investment property somewhere along the way. I would do 100% of the legwork in finding, purchasing and managing these investments. Our goal was five properties over the next year, and I had every confidence that we could make it work, to everyone's benefit. My parents and Aunt would then have the extra passive income that could save them from having to work through their retirement, and all of us would be on the road to wealth.

But then February 16th happened. And with the announcement of 20% minimum down payments for all our future investments came the threat of shattered dreams and lost opportunities. Our plan depended on lower down payments, and without them, our investing power would be severely limited. After discussing our dire situation with my Mortgage Broker, he suggested that the only way we would be able to fulfill our year's goal would be to purchase whatever properties we could manage in the next few weeks. Next few weeks?!?! Buying one good house alone was a ton of work - how could I manage any more than that in such a condensed time line? I was starting to lose hope, and then I remembered the words of a very wise man: Change your actions to change your results!

Fueled by the thought of my family counting on me to do my best, I became vigorously proactive. I immediately contacted the members of my team and handed them our mission - to purchase 5 great houses in two weeks. How would we do this? No idea. But instead of sitting there paralyzed with fear and uncertainty, I had to trust myself and my team to jump into action, make the right decisions, and keep moving forward.

The next two weeks were a blur.

And in the end, we achieved what I would have thought impossible only two weeks earlier. Not only did we find and purchase five houses in two weeks, but we found five QUALITY houses that fit my Rent To Own system. I did not compromise on my criteria, and as a result I now feel very confident going into the tenant-locating phase of the system.

A few points worth mentioning:

- The MLS listings were barren of much that fit my system. In the end it was the For Sale By Owner (FSBO) market that saved the day, providing four out of the five homes we purchased.

- I was able to get each of the FSBO sellers to agree to a pre-April 19th closing date by offering them a win/win proposition: they would be allowed to remain in the property after closing (paying us a modest rental) for a pre-determined maximum time frame. This would allow them the freedom to move into their next home on their terms, without resorting to a halfway residence in between. This worked out very well for two separate sellers, who both had new homes being built and were nervous about completion dates. In the end, this became the winning condition that sealed the deal for at least three of the properties.

- I used a cover letter in all my offers to the FSBO sellers. I had many compliments in return, with one going as far as to say that it was my cover letter that let me win out over two other very strong offers. Do not underestimate the power of this strategy!!!

- My lawyer was in the middle of renovating a new office and was often absent at critical times during the process. As a result, I learned to write my own offers. To be safe, I would submit them through his office to make sure they were reviewed first. I was surprised how smoothly this process went!

- I was always up front and honest with the sellers, letting them know that I was an investor and that I was looking for high quality homes in order to attract high quality tenants. No one ever showed any objection to my intended use for their home.

Real Estate Investing is definitely a team sport, and I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the key people who made this all possible. It is their victory every bit as much as it is mine!

A big thank you to Don Campbell and the REIN team for helping me and so many others find their way through the real estate investing jungle. You are a goldmine of wisdom, inspiration and support, and we Canadian investors are fortunate to have you leading us all down the road to wealth, prosperity and fulfillment.

I want to thank my JV Partners (my Mom, Dad and my Aunt) for having faith in my abilities and for trusting me with spending their money! They've always had faith in me and have always encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone once in a while. As much as anything else, I'm doing this for them.

I would like to thank my business partner, advisor, and wife, Catherine, for her tireless cheerleading. She believed in me every step of the way, and it was her support that fueled me with a winning spirit and the will to do whatever it took to succeed.

I'd like to thank HouseMaster Home Inspections of Waterdown and their great team of friendly, but thorough inspectors for adapting their schedule to mine, even working weekends when needed. Much appreciated, guys!

Thanks goes out to my lawyer, Gerry Gatto, and his office for helping me understand all the various legal requirements and for being so patient and accommodating as I pushed much more than my fair share of paper through their fax machine!

I'd also like to thank a few of my friends at REIN, Tahani, Adam and Manoj, for helping me stay positive and providing me a chance to learn from their experience.

But most of all, I need to send out a BIG thank you to our star quarterback, Kevin Boughen of Dominion Lending Centres. One of the best Mortgage Brokers in the business, it was he who was able to secure high-ratio financing for every one of these properties in the face of overwhelming obstacles. Not only were the doors closing rapidly on 10% down mortgages, but he had many more of his customers demanding the same service from him at the same time I was. In the end, he got it done - and for that my family and I will always be grateful!

So, now that the dust has settled, I will use the next few weeks to catch my breath and celebrate this achievement. It's hard to believe, but this was the 'easy' part of the process. I now have to fill six homes in the coming months...

...and I couldn't be happier!
smile.gif

housingrental

Registered
Congratulations Ben!

I`m sure your smiling now. In 10 years I`m sure you`ll be smiling even more.

WJW

Registered
WOW! Amazing what you can accomplish with the Power of Focus!

BIG CONGRATS TO YOU BEN, and YOUR TEAM!!!

RCrein

Registered
QUOTE (WJW @ Mar 11 2010, 04:40 PM) WOW! Amazing what you can accomplish with the Power of Focus!

BIG CONGRATS TO YOU BEN, and YOUR TEAM!!!

Great job! An amazing amount of success in such a short time. Interesting what a bit of pressure can do for performance. After you take a well-deserved break to celebrate and catch your breath, you might ask yourself why not do it all over again? Best of luck.

GaryMcGowan

Registered
GREAT JOB BEN !!!!
It really shows how a great team and determination can get things done... Don`t forget to celebrate!
I know somehow someway you will keep the ball rolling and keep continuing to be creative.

CarrieKoch

Registered
QUOTE (GaryMcGowan @ Mar 11 2010, 08:16 PM) GREAT JOB BEN !!!!
It really shows how a great team and determination can get things done... Don`t forget to celebrate!
I know somehow someway you will keep the ball rolling and keep continuing to be creative.

Congratulations Ben! It really goes to show that anything can be done with determination and focus!

BenSanderson

Registered
Thanks, everyone, for such kind words of support - I know I would never have been able to get started down this new path in my life if it weren`t for this wonderful community of like minded people such as yourselves!

Much appreciated!

BenSanderson

Registered
Thanks Ed and Todor!

Just in case anyone could benefit from it, here is the base content for the cover letter I was using on the private sale purchases:

March ??, 2010

Dear John and Jane,

It is with great pleasure that I submit to you the following offer to purchase your beautiful home at 123 Anywhere Crescent. As an active investor, I find it very important to keep the lines of communication open between the buyer and seller and trust that you`ll find this cover letter to be helpful.

It was obvious to me even as I walked up the driveway that this home was a cut above most others, and I was not disappointed. The décor is tasteful and inviting, and it is apparent that you have maintained your home with great care – I would be proud to show such a lovely home to its future owners. My investing strategy is simple: the nicer the home, the nicer the customers it attracts, the nicer the transaction – and the easier we can all sleep at night! Your home fits my criteria on many levels and so I am pleased to offer you the following:

1. Flexible occupancy. You have been most understanding and co-operative regarding my need for a quick closing, as well as the small amount of money back to offset my out-of-pocket expenses. Because of this, I am happy to offer you the option to remain in the home for up to three and a half months past the closing date of April 15th, 2010. I would only ask that you pay the agreed rental amount of $1400 per month plus utilities to simply cover our carrying costs. This will provide you the freedom and peace of mind to locate and move into your new home on your terms, without having to arrange for temporary accommodations in between.

2. No Realtor commissions. I respect your desire to negotiate and process this transaction without Realtor representation and am more than happy to accommodate you in this regard.

3. Fair market value pricing
. I believe we have agreed on upon a fair price for your home, well in line with other MLS listed homes of similar description and in the same neighbourhood. Because I can appreciate the time, effort and expense that goes into selling your home on your own, I believe you are entitled to every dollar that may have otherwise been paid out to a selling Agent. I am quite happy to offer you this market value amount.

In closing, I believe you will find my offer to be most favourable, allowing for all parties to benefit from a smooth, transparent, and professional transaction.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you again, and best regards,

Ben Sanderson

OlegP

Registered
Ben, what a great accomplishment! This story is a true inspiration for new investors and veterans alike. Enjoy your success!

JoeRagona

Registered
Ben

You know from the chats we`ve had that this is a great accomplishment for you. Congratulations and this is an inspiration to me also.

Many thanks for sharing your offer letter also. I will use a bit of it to tweak mine as well.

BTW, I have used a `counter offer` letter as well which usually seals the deal.

I`ll see you at the next meeting and KWC get together.

BenSanderson

Registered
Thanks Oleg and Joe!

Joe, I`d like to hear more about the counter-offer cover letter some time! Maybe at the next KWC meeting...

jianli82

Registered
Hi Ben, thanks for sharing. My business parts and myself were a bit headache hearing the news of 20% down after Apr 19. And kind of don`t know what to do next with such a high down payment requirement. Plus we ran into the issue of cash shortage since we used our own money to purchase our last three properties. You story of using other people`s money, cover letter, powerful team, as well as having strong determination and focus opened my eyes. I am sure my partners and myself will benefit a lot from your post alone, not to mention the rest of the posts in REIN space. Thanks again.

Top Bottom