Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Trash Talking

I

IanSzabo

After recently converting a single-family home to a duplex, I would like to share some of my insight. I converted the single-family home in Whitby Number 3 on the top ten towns in Ontario to Invest In. Starting from the beginning you need to determine zoning (Is it possible to do this) from the towns point of view. 1) The property needs to have a minim of 4ft space around the home. 3) For natural lighting you need to have 5% of the floor space in windows

. Example if the basement is 1000 SQFT you need 50SQFT if window space. All bedrooms need windows and one way in & out. Providing you have the following, you need drawings & a permit. In my case drawing $300 permit $600. Because this is new construction not existing, you need to bring it up to the new code. Meaning ESA certification on all wiring. City inceptions for Plumbing, Frameing, Insulation Etc. Things to do, One of the biggest complains in a duplex is noise from one unit to the other. To eliminate this I use the following materials, Safe & Sound in all ceilings, it is great & inspectors love the it does not burn.

I also use resilient channelling; it is mounted to the joists in the ceiling & helps with transferring sound. I also use 5/8s drywall on not only the ceiling but also all walls, it helps with noise transfer & tenants have a harder time making holes. Because it is hard to drywall utility room ceilings, you can use ½ inch sprinkler heads. We all know about smoke detectors, but there is a commercial smoke detector that is hot-wired to the furnice. If there is an electrical fire it shuts off the gas to the furnace, making it very safe. So for $350 installed its good piece of mind.

If you have made it this fare you are wondering about the title of this (Trash Talking) well during this process it takes 4-6 weeks for the town tells the garbage man, this is a dual family building. Meaning you are now able to have double the Trash. I learned this after I found the garden shed full of garbage. From the new tenants what a surprise tenants not taking the garbage out. Because of the growing population in Whitby I believe that converting is a great way to build instant equity. I hope that my experiences will help. Sincerely Ian

I

IanSzabo

Thanks Monte, Always willing to share info , if you have any Reno questions feel free to contact me. Thanks Ian

KULA

REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT ADVISOR
Registered
Ian,

Thanks sooo much for sharing all this info. Great help!

Niran

Top Bottom