Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tub surround on top of existing tiles?

NathalieLiuHiller

Registered
We have an older home for a rental and the bath area is surrounded by tiles. The tub is in good condition, but we saw some cracks in the grout in between tiles. The walls behind seem to be ok but the tenant told me the moisture may have been sipping through it for so many years in may eventually give in. It's not even soft right now but just wondering if I should do a preventive maintenance and replace it with 3 pc tub surround.

Can those tub surrounds be put on top of existing tiles or do we need to demolish the whole thing, put new drywalls, before putting the tub surround?

I have heard conflicting views on the net so just wondering if anyone has done this before.

Nathalie

DenisEncontre

Registered
I've done dozens of these and would recommend changing the drywall. I would replace it with a concrete board and I usually change the taps at the same time.

NathalieLiuHiller

Registered
Thanks Denis. Do you know a good contractor/handyguy to do that job? How much did it cost for you?

Nathalie

DenisEncontre

Registered
Sorry I can't help with finding you a contractor. I'm from Winnipeg and I did all the work myself. At the time I was doing maintenance at a hotel. Make sure you get references from your contractor and don't pay them the full amount until you are satisfied with the work.

Top Bottom