Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UPS, HBP, Water tank - Buy Out Vs. Rental, LTB Hearing, Curtains

RE123RE

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hi
I am trying to help a friend and have a few unrelated questions, all related to RE though:)
- Do you recommend landlords have either a Canada Post PO Box or UPS mailbox? Costs around $200 a year.
If yes, what is the main reason? Also, is UPS better than a PO box?
- First home buyers plan - I understand if you qualify you can get a rebate. If a person has 20 rented apartments under his corporation but is a tenant himself where he lives and has not own his primary residence in the past 5 years, can he qualify as a first home buyer?
- Hot water tank in a new home purchased from a builder is a rental. $30 a month for 15 years or you can buy it out today for $3000.
Would you just pay rent or buy it out?
- A tenant received N4 followed by L1. Hearing was scheduled for mid March but in the meantime tenant has paid all his debt.
Can the hearing be cancelled as tenant is nice/paying again, or the landlord must still attend court?
- Curtains and mattresses - is Ikea reasonable for these both quality-wise and price-wise? is a curtain directly behind a good quality window enough? no need for an extra layer?
Thank you

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Re hot water tank: 30 x 12 x 15 = $5400 vs $3000 ??

Re first time home buyer: not a lawyer but I'd say you do qualify as you personally haven't bought one

Re N4: if landlord attends most judges will throw the eviction out and as such attendance is useless unless you also ask for late fees or other damages or actions that you wish to argue over and above late rent

Re UPS or PO box: yes it makes total sense as opposed to divulging your personal address to potentially violent or mischievous tenants

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
- Do you recommend landlords have either a Canada Post PO Box or UPS mailbox? Costs around $200 a year.
If yes, what is the main reason? Also, is UPS better than a PO box?
I have always used a UPS box as it is a central point to receive mail and as Thomas said, puts in a layer of privacy you will want as a landlord at a minimal expense. I prefer UPS as they can receive shipments on my behalf and I have also found some companies will not ship to a P.O. Box but UPS stores are ok. They suggest using "Suite #...." vs. "Box #..."

Top Bottom