Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Vapor Barrier Installation - Recommended in Basements?

Nir

REIN Member
Hi,

I have to replace some dry wall in a basement. Is installing a Vapor Barrier in a basement wall, which is in common with one of the apartments (the basement unit), recommended in case of significantly different temperatures between the rooms? I understand its use has become controversial and in basements and areas below foundation level, particularly those formed in concrete, vapor retarder placement can be problematic.

Thanks,

Nir

dplummer

Registered
Nir, if your covering batt fiberglass insulation then I would. My preference would be to use foam insulation. It's a thermal brake & no vapor barrier required. My 2 cents.

Doug

2ndstory

Registered
You need vapor barrier on outside walls, you would not need it on an interior wall like that. How different could the temp be between the two rooms? Maybe 10 C at the very most? You aren't going to get that difference transfering through the wall either. VB is cheap, so do it if you want to but it is not needed.

Nik

Nir

REIN Member
Thank you Doug and Nik!

Can you please elaborate a bit on the different purposes they are used for - Vapor Barrier VS Foam Insulation, as well as pros and cons of each.

Specifically, which option is best for preventing mold in the future? - that is the main concern as the area has surprisingly been flooded twice in recent years.

Thanks again and regards,

Nir

2ndstory

Registered
Spray foam is best hands down for that. No VB needed at all with spray foam, except for behind electrical panel I believe. Spray foam is cost prohibitive though. You'd have to price it out. Where is your moisture coming from?

Nik

Nir

REIN Member
Thanks Nik. About once a year, prior to purchasing the building, water entered basement during a flood through an entrance common with basement Apt. best proactive solution will obviously be to prevent water from entering again..

dplummer

Registered
Nir, your right- stop the water. Check out Mike Holmes Make it Right website for a great explanation on the insulation differences.

Doug

craigw

Registered
Nir, Vapour barrier is only required on outside walls, and spray foam is the best insulation, however it is 5 to 10 times the price. It sounds like you have a bigger problem if you have water getting in this often. You should look into getting your drain tile inspected and if your place has a sump pump, make sure it is working properly. Drain tile often gets clogged with roots and dirt, if there is a drain in the stairwell then you can get a plumber to put a scope in and do an inspection.

2ndstory

Registered
I have found that landscaping can solve about 80% of those issues.

Nik

Nir

REIN Member
[quote user=2ndstory]I have found that landscaping can solve about 80% of those issues.

Nik
good point and paving the driveway would probably be the best solution here as water entered from unpaved gravel driveway

Top Bottom