Vinyl flooring or Hardwood flooring on stairs

guest999

REIN Member
I have a rental property that the stairs to 2nd floor is carpet, not it becomes dirty, I would like to replace it. Can anyone recommend whether I should go with vinyl flooring or hardwood flooring on stairs? This is not a high end house, it's about 40 years old, so I'm thinking vinyl flooring might be a better choice?

I called a couple of contractors already, it will cost about $1000 to replace with hardwood flooring. Thanks.

alaas1977

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
Hello

I would definitely go the better quality vinyl as tenants are hard on things. When I change out flooring I always consider the longevity of the product as often its the labour thats the most expensive part and I find putting in a better quality product saves me money over the longterm. I've heard some of the other REIN members are using a glue down style vinyl that when and if it becomes damaged you can simply heat the tile strip and replace.

Lisa

Tootse

Registered
I removed the carpet, replaced the treads with wood (you may be able to salvage yours), painted them, then glued on vinyl stair treads. There are many options for the types of glue-on treads. They can be replaced if they become worn. They are not slippery as sometimes wood and vinyl can be.

Tootse

KGuthro

REIN Member
I have used vinyl on one of my properties but instead of glued down rubber corner protectors I used metal screw in ones that are still holding strong after many years.