Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Water from where?

BLongstreet

Registered
I have a basement apartment where the bathroom and kitchen share a common wall. Water leaks into the kitchen intermittently. Is there a way to locate the source of the leak or the path of the water without tearing the shower apart?

invst4profit

Registered
If it is intermittent the most likely cause would be the drain or a leak only when the water is running.
Try removing any knobs and decorative covers around the taps and shower head and watch for a leak in
those areas when the water is running. It should be visible.
Either one should be a easy fix.

Or tear the kitchen apart.

housedoc

Registered
Generally the type of leak you are describing comes from failed grout or caulking in the shower/tub.
Most commonly where the tub meets the wall. Sometimes around the showerhead or taps.
Hard to say for sure without investigating though.
You may have to open a small hole in the drywall on the kitchen side, where it`s wet, to have a look.

oddjobs

Registered
As mentioned above check the caulking and grout around the tub assuming there is a tub. You`ll also wanna check the cover plate for the faucet handle(s) and the tub spout to make sure they are not allowing water through when the shower is on. Next check the faucet itself from the outside then pull the cover plates off and have a look inside not sure if the box stores are renting them or not but there are smaller snake cameras you can get to see inside. Next up would be the drain and overflow drains

If it`s none of the above double check all the other sources of water nearby toilet, kitchen faucets and drain. Also with it being a basement make sure the issue isn`t from upstairs water will run the easiest path and I`ve seen a leak from the front upper half of the house all the way to the back basement. It`s rare that water will start leaking behind a wall hopefully shouldn`t have to rip the wall apart.

Pheenix

REIN Member
QUOTE (BLongstreet @ Nov 12 2010, 03:06 PM) I have a basement apartment where the bathroom and kitchen share a common wall. Water leaks into the kitchen intermittently. Is there a way to locate the source of the leak or the path of the water without tearing the shower apart?

Do you also have `hammering` even, occassionally which is the banging sound when you turn the water on/off or when running full on. If so you have two problems.

The hammering could be opening up a weak joint, only when occurring. Look up how to prevent it or hire a plumber before it does more damage.

BLongstreet

Registered
Thank you all for your tips and hints. If we need a plumber, who works in North York or the nearby area that you would recommend?

housingrental

Registered
Yes give me an email through my website and I`ll foward you contact points
QUOTE (BLongstreet @ Nov 15 2010, 01:02 PM) Thank you all for your tips and hints. If we need a plumber, who works in North York or the nearby area that you would recommend?

RandyDalton

Registered
QUOTE (BLongstreet @ Nov 12 2010, 03:06 PM) I have a basement apartment where the bathroom and kitchen share a common wall. Water leaks into the kitchen intermittently. Is there a way to locate the source of the leak or the path of the water without tearing the shower apart?

Hi,

One thing you never mentioned is what fixtures are on the shared wall. Is the kitchen sink, dishwasher, fridge on the shared wall. Is the bathroom sink, toilet, or tub/shower on the shared wall. Also would want to know how far away is the water appearing from an outside wall? As someone else mentioned what is directly above the shared wall? Another kitchen or bathroom or both? There are potentially many things to look for.

One of my senior crew is moving to North York, Yonge & Sheppard, the first of December. We are looking at starting to provide maintenance services in that area. I would be happy to have him contact you and he can come out and look at the problem at no charge and let you know what is going on and give you suggestions on what you can do to fix it.

Top Bottom