Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Water Rad heat - $580 in December

donksky

Registered
this is an up/down duplex in sudbury -good size -not huge, nor tiny (big 2bdrm upstairs & 3bdrm down with separate dining area). Union gas said it`s similar to vendor`s bill last winter but can water rad heat REALLY be this high? My first winter with this property & I`m not on equal billing - made a mistake of not asking to see utility bills while negotiating/purchasing but I rent it high enough that I`m still positive cash flow after this money drain (thank goodness!) Inspection i`ll review but I don`t think there was major insulation issue reported...

markl

Registered
Hi Donna,

We got a huge bill from Enbridge too. They are estimating their number if you have a manager on the property you should have them go by and get the reading. Enbridge allows you to phone in your reading. This cut our bill by over 2/3. Why should we be lending the gas company money because they cannot send someone around to check the meter they installed in the front of my house.

It was funny as well in the summer we were doing reno`s and had the gas shut off for a couple of months and we were getting bills and every time we had to let them know.

Anyways I digress good luck

housedoc

Registered
Isn`t it cold in Sudbury?
Isn`t rad heating terribly inefficient?
It doesn`t seem that outrageous for the dead of winter.
I`m curious why you wouldn`t be on equal billing?

robertmcilwrath

Registered
QUOTE (donksky @ Jan 27 2009, 09:31 PM) this is an up/down duplex in sudbury -good size -not huge, nor tiny (big 2bdrm upstairs & 3bdrm down with separate dining area). Union gas said it`s similar to vendor`s bill last winter but can water rad heat REALLY be this high? My first winter with this property & I`m not on equal billing - made a mistake of not asking to see utility bills while negotiating/purchasing but I rent it high enough that I`m still positive cash flow after this money drain (thank goodness!) Inspection i`ll review but I don`t think there was major insulation issue reported...

that doesn`t sound right. how old is the boiler and has it been serviced lately ???

NorthernAlex

Registered
A couple weeks ago we had -43 Celius (real 43) for four days in a row. Usually we have have around -20 Celsius and are used to such a billing amount in Winter. We changed the boiler to a high efficient one a couple months ago- I noticed a drop of 20-30% in the bill.

Sudbury is about 1h west away from me. As far as I remember: Greg or Neil are from Sudbury. Maybe they provide some comparison infos.

Check the age of the boiler. Maybe the tenants like to have it warm/very warm.

Best regards,

Alex.

Nir

REIN Member
Hi,

Greg (`gregg`) is from Sudbury and has more knowledge, Neil is just invested there

Regards,
Neil

PS. my units use electric heaters so not a good comparison.

markl

Registered
Isn`t it cold in Sudbury? It is Canada
Isn`t rad heating terribly inefficient? Actually for the dollar it is the most efficient heating source available
It doesn`t seem that outrageous for the dead of winter.
I`m curious why you wouldn`t be on equal billing? Equal billing means you are giving a Loan to the gas company. Why anybody would want to pay more money than they have to I would rather put the money in my bank account and pay the bill when it comes in.

Regards,

donksky

Registered
thx guys-yes it`s old house & boiler part had to be repaired Oct. maybe I should have boiler replaced if it cuts down bill by 20-30% any idea how much for new one? like markl said , i didn`t do equal billing in fall when i bought coz it was like paying them in advance - i had a vacant house then & a $330 or so "equalized" bill didn`t seem fair to pay whe boiler wasnt even on!!

gregg

REIN Member
Hi Donna,
I own 20 buildings in Sudbury and the average cost for gas per month in winter is $550. per building. High efficiency forced air is a bit cheaper but it can get pretty cold up here. I can imagine how this would be a surprise if you are not from this part of the country. January and February can be killers but usually it is not much higher for those two months. Which street are you located on? Thanks

Greg

QUOTE (donksky @ Jan 27 2009, 07:31 PM) this is an up/down duplex in sudbury -good size -not huge, nor tiny (big 2bdrm upstairs & 3bdrm down with separate dining area). Union gas said it`s similar to vendor`s bill last winter but can water rad heat REALLY be this high? My first winter with this property & I`m not on equal billing - made a mistake of not asking to see utility bills while negotiating/purchasing but I rent it high enough that I`m still positive cash flow after this money drain (thank goodness!) Inspection i`ll review but I don`t think there was major insulation issue reported...

johnny

Registered
Hi Donna,

I live in North Bay (Approx 130km away). I perform energy assesments on homes across Northern Ontario and I am recently a new member of REIN. A new boiler can range from 4000 - 8000 depending on the efficiency and the ease of installation. The Federal and Provincial governments will give you 1200 rebate to help pay for a new boiler providing the boiler have an AFUE of 85% or greater and that you get energy assessment done on the building. Although there could be other improvements to the building that could greatly reduce your energy bill with less capital investment. Improvements like attics, exterior walls, basements, air sealing, and more. The eco-energy program can give up to 10,000 in rebate to help pay for energy improvments. Here is a link for a company in the sudbury area that runs the eco-energy program.

http://www.canspecinspection.com

Take care
John Miller

NorthernAlex

Registered
QUOTE (johnny @ Jan 30 2009, 08:52 AM) ..... The eco-energy program can give up to 10,000 in rebate to help pay for energy improvments. Here is a link for a company in the sudbury area that runs the eco-energy program.

Take care
John Miller

The link is not working. Seems so that the company site is down.

GeoThermal (the max what you could get in rebate and possible saving) is great, but costs in installing to gas/water rads home are too high. I had to face the same experience.

Best regards,

Alex.

johnny

Registered
Huh, that`s odd

must be maintenance or something on the site. i imagine it should be up again soon.

elyssasdad

Registered
Hi Donna,

My wife and I bought our first ever property in Sudbury last summer, a 4 unit apartment building, ~3000sq ft, and our bill was $520 for gas in December. Good thing we have a high efficient boiler! We will do the equal pay plan next year, but wanted to keep things simple for our first season. Global warming? I say BRING IT ON!

For us one of the biggest sticker shock items was the bill from the city for water/sewer and electric.

You would think that the land of lakes should have lots of available water! (I gues this time of year it`s all frozen!)

Even with ridiculously high bills in the peak of heating season, we have wiggle room at the end of the month and generate a nice cash flow. That`s a great testament to the REIN system and the patient research we did. Thank you Don and all of you with REIN.

Best regards,

Dave and Heather

realfortin

Registered
QUOTE (johnny @ Jan 30 2009, 06:52 AM) I perform energy assesments on homes across Northern Ontario and I am recently a new member of REIN.

Take care
John Miller

John, thanks for the info, I might be in need of your services for my 2 properties in the Sudbury area.

What would you say is the best bang for your buck, when considering 1.Energy Savings vs Eco Rebate vs Cost of equipment/Installation?

RF

Top Bottom