Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What 'for rent' sites work in Edmonton?

margaretcowan

REIN Member
What rental web sites work best for you in Edmonton? Rent Board, Rent Edmonton? Craigslist? Or ?

I'm finding that Kijiji gets me the most responses, but want to expand my ads to other sites for my one bedroom suites on 82nd Avenue near Old Strathcona and my basement suite in my house in Millwoods.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
I'm on Kijiji. Sometimes I advertise on Rentfaster but usually it is a waste of money. Craigslist leads to just weird people for me in Edmonton so I don't bother.

AminMurji

Registered
Rent Board is a total waste of money. Kijiji works the best but I have to pay extra for the top ad.

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to stick to posting, deleting and re-posting my ads on Kijiji twice a day, once in the afternoon and once early evening. My PM just rented a one bedroom suite to a 74 year old single man who saw my ad on Kijiji.

How often do you post on Kijiji?

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Every 2 weeks minimum. I usually change the headline weekly and main picture every other week.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
^ Caveat above... Padmapper = Kijiji in Edmonton so whatever you post on Kijiji is automatically populated on Padmapper. No point posting twice.

Craig has friends in Edmonton but they are so weird it is probably not worth the effort, I hear it is a very different story in Vancouver. For small landlords, all you really need is Kijiji. Pay for the TopAd every week. Don't pay for a month at a time as it is actually more expensive to pay for a month that to pay each week by week. Delete the ad and repost it every couple of weeks so that the view count goes to 0 making it look like the place just got on the market, makes for more excitement.

Courtney Hammond

Courtney Hammond
Registered
Completely agree with Matt....

I wouldn't post on craigslist for an Alberta rental. It isn't the tenant pool you are most likely looking for, and it isn't used often. Kijiji is our go to. I haven't paid for an ad before, I just repost. I also have several emails, so I can post more than 3 listings at a time. However, I think if you over post it starts to look like you are desperate and there is something wrong with your place or that it is a scam. As suggested, switch up the pictures and the wording..

This last round of finding tenants for our new rentals was the most work. I often look through the want ads in all stages of my investments. I check out what people are looking for and willing to pay, how many are still looking, what type of person is still looking, and when they are looking for... then when I'm renting out- I also respond to a few. This time I responded to a lot of want ads. There were quite a few out there that weren't just looking for below market rents, but get overwhelmed with searching through all the ads. I ended up finding some great tenants this way, and renting for what I was looking for.

I was shocked to hear from a friend of my husbands, that their brand new legal suite two blocks away from mine was empty since November, and was now listed at $800 plus utilities! We just rented ours out for 1300 plus utilities. Their property manager keeps coming back to them saying they need to drop the price. I think that some property managers are over whelmed with the efforts to fill the properties and not willing to do the amount of work needed to fill them. Keep trying, and keep pushing your manager to do their jobs.

Courtney Hammond

Courtney Hammond
Registered
I don't think it's too early- you might not get anyone for a few weeks, but you never know. (There are several people looking in the want ads for June-September....you might want to see if any of them are interested- and qualify)

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Thanks, Sharon! Your comments reinforce what Jared said in the REIN SOS about getting professional photos in rental ads. On my To Do list for my PM!

I post 2 or 3 times a day on Kijiji but always seem to land on page 4 or 5 + by the time I go to re-post. I want to have a life outside real estate which is not my passion. How many times a day do you post on Kijiji?

AminMurji

Registered
I was posting/reposting 3-4 times a day and I had 2-3 ads running. Kijiji has now flagged me as a professional and charges me $29.99 listing fee per month for each ad. Now if I delete and repost an ad kijiji will charge me another $29.99 listing fee.

Top Bottom