What is so bad about young children?

Goodstuff

Registered
May 1, 2008
Why is everyone against renting to people with young children?
Are they that bad?
I`ve never rented to people with young kids, so don`t know what the fuss is all about.
I can`t imagine a young kid kicking in a wall (as teenagers sometimes do).
They don`t smoke. Don`t party.
I suppose they might throw up on the carpet or pee(?)
Are they a noise problem?

What is it???

Anyone have a story about young kids?

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
Yes to all of the above.

They are noisy, they do disturb others if in a multi, and do damage to walls, toilets, floors etc. but often the problem is not so much with the child but with the attitude of young parents that do not have the maturity to respect other peoples property. What they would allow there child to do in a rented property is far different then they may allow if they owned the home.
In addition they tend to leave children`s toys outside all the time giving the property a untidy appearance.

I was in a rental property many years ago where the parents allowed a young child to ride a tricycle inside the unit. Almost every wall had damage and the hall had a continuous gouge mark along it where the handle bars rubbed and bumped against the walls.
I believe all to often today with two working parents even when home there is far to little supervision and a lack of rules regarding respect of other peoples property.
Not all young parents are like that but when screening new tenants it is very difficult to evaluate there parenting skills.
You can not discriminate but you can tell them the unit has been rented to someone else (hopefully you have multiple applicants).

Goodstuff

Registered
May 1, 2008
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jan 20 2009, 06:30 AM) Yes to all of the above.

They are noisy, they do disturb others if in a multi, and do damage to walls, toilets, floors etc. but often the problem is not so much with the child but with the attitude of young parents that do not have the maturity to respect other peoples property. What they would allow there child to do in a rented property is far different then they may allow if they owned the home.
In addition they tend to leave children`s toys outside all the time giving the property a untidy appearance.

I was in a rental property many years ago where the parents allowed a young child to ride a tricycle inside the unit. Almost every wall had damage and the hall had a continuous gouge mark along it where the handle bars rubbed and bumped against the walls.
I believe all to often today with two working parents even when home there is far to little supervision and a lack of rules regarding respect of other peoples property.
Not all young parents are like that but when screening new tenants it is very difficult to evaluate there parenting skills.
You can not discriminate but you can tell them the unit has been rented to someone else (hopefully you have multiple applicants).

Thanks for the info. It`s really nice to hear from others with experience. It could save me a lot of grief.

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone`s opinion of the "perfect tenants"? I suppose it would be a working couple with no kids, no pets. But are there any others that people have had a good experience with? Or how about what kind of tenant to definately avoid?
Anyone with experience who can guide me before I get myself into trouble? Thanks in advance!

billf

Registered
Feb 16, 2008
Mississauga
Hi,

I have three kids, and there is definately a wear and tear factor to consider if you are considering renting to a young family. Greg above described my house,(especially the toys outside).Even if they are supervised, kids will break things and damage walls, its inevitible. Thankfully most families are pretty stable renters, and the damage is mostly superficial. Another factor to consider is that if you are renting single family, or townhouses these people are likely your demographic target.

If you take pictures and get a pre-inspection report signed by your tenant, you will be able to recover any excessive damage even if you have to go to small claims court.

Good Luck

Bill F

ChrisDavies

Registered
Feb 18, 2008
Edmonton
QUOTE (Goodstuff @ Jan 21 2009, 03:02 PM) Thanks for the info. It`s really nice to hear from others with experience. It could save me a lot of grief.

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone`s opinion of the "perfect tenants"? I suppose it would be a working couple with no kids, no pets. But are there any others that people have had a good experience with? Or how about what kind of tenant to definately avoid?
Anyone with experience who can guide me before I get myself into trouble? Thanks in advance!

Good `ol working folks. I like people with a stable job in a growth industry. One couple I love both work at the Edmonton Airport parking facility. (Maybe they should open up a parking facility downtown for everyone who got stuck in the parkade the other day).

I don`t mind kids, but there`s something to be said for reduced wear and tear. The flip side is families move less often than singles or couples due to schools and friends.

invst4profit

Registered
Aug 29, 2007
Kingston Ontario
My absolute favorite tenants are older (45+) single or a couple and if retired they are my absolute first choice.
Probably 60% of my tenants are retired seniors and the rest are all over 45, no kids.

dannielsen

Registered
Sep 11, 2007
Red Deer, Alberta
I have 2 families in 2 of my detached dwellings. They have been there for 2 years and are paying above market rents. They are great tenants, but keep in mind that they are previous home owners who have moved to Alberta to work. I did more due diligence on them than any other tenant and interviewed them 2 times each. The mom’s are both stay at home mom’s who have the time to look after the yard and house and they both had their own homes for many years, so the yard work and house keeping is no surprise
I visit my properties every couple of months and there is more wear and tear in the houses, but I also have large damage deposits.

You must be careful when looking at a tenant who is moving from a small condo to a larger house or town house, as the work involved in upkeeping a larger unit can be overwhelming, not to mention paying their own utility bills. With my condo’s I want to get a tenant who works all of the time and does not have time to party. I am willing to rent to families or younger couples in properties that are close to home, as they will require more work and supervision but are willing to pay top rents. Well on the long distance properties I try to get a tenant that is the mature working couple, no kids, no pets.

Always try to fit the right tenant in the right property.

Dan Nielsen