Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What Nobody is forecasting how 2011 will look like? Let me start!

gwasser

Registered
I have not been a lot on the forum lately due to my 'un-retirement' and new full time employment. Let me see if I can stir the pot and give you my outlook for the near future. Any dissident opinions? I stole this outlook from my blog, so if there are any spelling or other errors, just blame that blog's moderator... eh?

It is yearend so let's see what may lie in store for us in next year's investment universe. Let's start with energy prices. Oil prices are likely to continue going up, but if it shoots up too high it would limit economic growth. The two keep each other in check. When oil prices are too high, economic growth would slow down and that reduces oil demand; too much economic growth would drive the oil price up and slow economic growth. China is trying to control its economic growth and it has tried to do so unsuccessfully for many years. However, the balance between oil prices and economic growth may do the trick.

I see oil prices gradually increase; trading in a $85 to $110 price range with possibly some spikes during the summer driving season. Gas prices will be affected by drilling rig count, economic demand in N. America and the weather. I expect prices in the 4 to $6 dollar range. Also affecting gas demand is electricity generation ` gas will become an increasingly more important fuel source for electricity over the coming decade and with the advance of electric cars demand for electricity could easily double in 10 to 20 years. However, over the short term this is not likely to have much influence. Also, consider that creating power generating capacity is something that takes years of planning. In terms of stock market performance, I think oil producing companies will shine. In Canada, the issue will be whether labour costs, land prices and construction prices will escalate even faster than oil prices.

Natural gas companies will remain laggards in the 2011 stock market. However, their profitability may somewhat improve. We still will be in a world of cheap prices for gas companies in 2011; thereafter in 2012 and 2013 prices could rise dramatically though. Consider bargain hunting in 2011 for gas producers or for oil companies with significant gas holdings using profits taken from other sectors` only buy the best managed companies and see them as intermediary to long term holds.

Canadian banks will continue buying 'cheap' international assets in their drive to benefit of their 'advantaged position' in the banking world. However, new acquisitions will reduce earnings power due to decreased leverage. Return on equity for Canadian banks will likely go down and so will the banks' lofty P/Es. With limited upside to increase dividends especially when combined with rising interest rates and more acquisitions, banks will be modestly attractive investments for some time to come. They are not likely to crash; instead they will be market performers or laggards. So a diversified portfolio should be underweight in Canadian banks.

The Canadian Dollar will remain strong which will be good for productivity growth but not for exports. Future growth prospects, especially when combined with limited leverage and high energy prices will result in muted stock market performance of the manufacturing sector. However, hi-tech gadget manufacturers like Blackberry's RIM spurned because of the Apple craze, may surprise pleasantly in 2011 contrary to guru sentiment.

The growing world economy and the growing world middle class spells well for agriculture. However, here too the Canadian Dollar may dampen the fun a bit. Don't panic though; previous analyses showed that most of the Canadian Dollar's appreciation was visa vie the U.S. Dollar and a lot less against other currencies. The Chinese Rembini may be loosened up somewhat further to reflect its true value against other currencies, in particular the U.S. Dollar. This may be beneficial to Canadian manufacturing and agriculture. So overall, don't be too afraid of a 'strong' Canadian Dollar. Expect companies such as Potash, Agrium, and food producers or other agricultural exporters to do well.

Real Estate oriented companies should benefit from a gradually improving economy too, especially in Western Canada. Right now, though REITs are not exactly cheap. Gold is likely to peak and possibly even crash. It is overvalued to the point of bubbly.

The real surprise of 2011 will be the good performance of the U.S. economy and that will put gold into the doldrums even further. So next year's investment theme will be to avoid gold; modest growth for Eastern Canadian manufacturing and banking; good performance in the Oil and Gas industry (especially oil). Real estate trusts may outperform because of low interest rates combined with better occupancy in both retail and rental real estate.

The U.S. economy will surprise many. The numbers are ever improving while expectations are low. Hi-tech companies such as Cisco and Microsoft are dirt cheap, maybe their time has come.Have you seen Xbox with Kinetics (kinetically driven computer operating systems as seen in SF movies like Pay Check may not be far off)? Apple may lead in gadgetry and depends on one man (Steve or is it Stephen?); Google is hitting the search engine ceiling, but Microsoft and Cisco are leading to a new way of computer, gaming and TV interfacing ` something not recognized in today's stock market. Many of the Dow Jones Industrial valuations don't reflect its companies' exposure to an improving world economy, to an U.S. economy growing 3 to 4% in GDP, nor do they reflect their large cash holdings. This is where the money will be made. GE has turned the corner and will perform with, if not outperform, the market.

Emerging market economies will continue to grow but their stock market expectations are too high. With the unwinding of the European crises and returning stock and bond market confidence in the EU during 2011,stock markets in that part of the world may perform comparatively well` many experts paint the EU's issues too dark ` don't forget in total the EU is a larger economy that the U.S., while Greece, Ireland, Iceland and Portugal have always been on the fringe. Europe's real core countries are Germany, England, France and the Benelux.

In terms of real estate, I foresee an excellent year in the West for landlords and modest real estate price increases along with the recovering Alberta economy. Also, this part of the country lagged last year's excellent performance in Eastern Canada and B.C. due to HST fears, Olympics and rising interest anxiety. In 2011 the West Canadian real estate will outperform. Alberta will rise and fall with China's and other BRIC country performance. It may also benefit, along with the Rest of Canada, from the U.S. recovery and improving U.S. consumer confidence. Expect low interest rates that will gradually increase throughout 2011 along with the improving North American economy.

In summary, apart from having a diversified investment portfolio that is low in fixed income (especially medium and long term fixed income), it is time to put your cash to work. Invest in Western Canadian real estate, especially between now and early spring. This may be the end of the low real estate valuation window for Western Canada. Invest in oil and in some gas companies on the stock market. Banks should be underweighted. Overweight the U.S. ` Dow Jones Industrials and Hi-tech giants. Reduce cash. I expect Canadian stock market returns in the 10% range; same for Europe and Asia. Best returns will likely be in the U.S. 10 ` 15%. I could be wrong, but don't worry - I correct that through frequent weekly, daily and hourly forecasts.

dcaz4moores

Registered
A great read and intuitively my innards concur.

So will you invest accordingly?

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query.

Regards,

Dave.

gwasser

Registered
Yep, until next week :)

Seriously, yes I do what I preach. But you have to realize that building an investment portfolio is like gardening. It takes a long time to build a good portfolio and you constantly try to weed out the mistakes and optimize towards the goals you've set. Once you reach your goal(s), you probably have to set new ones. It is not only about reaching the goals but also about the way you get there.

Outlooks and forecasts are only there to create possible 'scenarios' that show you what situations to avoid and where potential opportunities lie. So it is typically more like tweeking your portfolio rather than a 180 degree turn. "Sell all and do it right now" is usually the biggest mistake an investor can make.

Hope this helps,

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member

2011 will bring a more normal year of growth, but with continued volatility, especially in the often manipulated stock market. Debt defaults or bailouts by/to European nations or some US states will flare up in headlines from time to time, as far too many politicians promote far too much spending with far too little revenue. Taxes (especially in the US or Europe) will have to go up or expectations will have to go down substantially. Western governments on all 3 levels (federal, provincial/state, city/municipality) are borrowing way too much of our kids and grandchildren`s future and are spending it today. That has to stop .. and is just starting when looking at the recent US election and decision by more right-of-center governments in Europe !

I will take more time off this year to rest, play, exercise and pray more as I find that at 51 my energy level is not what it used to be when I was 30. I`ll take a few courses at UBC, join a christian men's business association (suggestion anyone ?) and write more articles exposing crooks in the business.

We'll continue to constantly improve our existing assets in a Kaizen like fashion, but we`ll continue to raise money through newly registered sales channels and will continue to deliver decent high single digit ROIs to our investors .. in both existing apartment buildings and possibly new land or construction based projects .. much lower than in the roaring 2000`s but still decent reflecting the new normal. The times of 20%+ returns are over, although many still expect it, and many scrupulous investment firms exploit this with often disastrous results.

Return OF capital needs to have priority over return ON your capital.

With N-Korea, Islamist extremists, China-US trade imbalance, tar sands vs. global warming fear mongering and real hereto unknown poverty in many advanced nations I expect continued, k;">and often fast, volatility in 2011 and beyond.

Belgium will create 2 new states, just like Sudan just did.

Man plans .. and God laughs !

May you have a VERY Happy New Year + God Bless + Sincerely + Successful Investing,

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=gwasser] new full time employment. Let

Congratulations Godfried! May your rocks always be hydrocarbon bearing. (Assuming your new job is in line with your prior career).

I tend to not try to make predictions, because the future is an opaque business. One interesting premise for predicting the short term stock market gyrations comes from Ken Fischer. (The Only Three Questions that Count, Forbes Columnist, Billionaire, etc)

He aggregates all the forecasts from the press and investment analysts, and plots them. Then he looks for the biggest concentration of numbers, and assumes that whatever those people see causing them to make their predictions has already been priced into the market, so the next year will be different. Not opposite, notably, but different. He has 4 categories: Up a lot, up a little, down a little, and down a lot. So if the consensus was "up a little" it could be up a lot, down a little, or down a lot, using this theory.

It's definitely interesting, and a way to apply numbers to market psychology, which at least allows some math in that particular field.

Of course, this assumes that the next years stock market return is something worth worrying about, which I don't necessarily agree with.

Regards,

Michael

gwasser

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]

I will take more time off this year to rest, play, exercise and pray more as I find that at 51 my energy level is not what it used to be when I was 30. I`ll take a few courses at UBC, join a christian men's business association (suggestion anyone ?) and write more articles exposing crooks in the business.

51 is way too young to feel old. Maybe a rest and regaining your breath. I hope that you do not feel tired for the remaining 40 or 50 years of your life. :)

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
who said "tired" or even "retired" ?

I said "less energy" and also implied: more grey hair and more wisdom and more focused energy and (even) more delegation to more capable people around me !

Also, PACING becomes more critical !!

gwasser

Registered
Don't worry Ed, one day reading will become easier for you :)

gwasser

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]who said "tired" or even "retired" ?

I said "less energy" and also implied: more grey hair and more wisdom and more focused energy and (even) more delegation to more capable people around me !

Also, PACING becomes more critical !!

I lately came to a conclusion regarding 'getting older' (with the caveat that all my conclusions are bound to change).

Ahem... the conclusion about said issue is that 'if you don't have challenges you may just as well die'.

Sounds a bit crue, but think about it. When getting older we experience our lessened energy levels, our unwillingness to be unconformtable increases. "If I have to work so hard, why bother?" I think, us old(er) goats all must feel that a bit. But if you give in to it what will happen?

If you stop excercising because you cannot any longer swim 100m free under a minute and your kids are jogging happily along the trail while you drag your tongue over the muddy ground, then you may feel tempted to give up exercising. But if you do, you lose shape even faster and turn to a package of lard in no time. Trying to get back into a less lardaceous form will then take an inordinate amount of energy.

The same with working or better with doing something. If you are used to a well scheduled life with exiting problems to address you know that to be successfull you will have to do some slogging. When you get older, you may not want to be bothered by the slogging - so you retire and get used to 2 hour-breakfasts filled with endless news paper reading. You get up later and later and you get bored and feel tired all the time.

Life is meant to be a challenge. You have to use your wits and your slogging the stay in form; the same for your body and excercising - even more so! If you get yourself in poor health; using your wits and keeping on slogging will be even tougher to keep up. Thus when you loose your enthusiasm for meeting the challenges of life (within reason); if you strive to evermore comfort; less hassle; less sweat and less aching muscless, you will rapidly turn into a vegatable and you will miss the exhilaration of success and life! Hence: 'if you don't have challenges you may just as well die'

Now at saturday morning, I will be improving my reflexes by playing the new Medal of Honor! Yeah!!!

BTW Michael, thanks for the congrats. Thomas, I wish you all the success with doing things in the future even smarter.

EdRenkema

Registered
Godfried there's a book in your future, who am I kidding, there's a book on here.

Happy writing

housingrental

Registered
Godfried - Needs more real estate content. Care to post forecasting post number 2 - real estate edition?

Thomas - "and real hereto unknown poverty in many advanced nations"

- Can you elaborate on this? Things are bad... but 30,70, and 100 years ago as a portion of population worse... With far more common hunger issues, starvation, severe medical issues, working conditions, etc....

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=housingrental]Godfried - Needs more real estate content. Care to post forecasting post number 2 - real estate edition?

Thomas - "and real hereto unknown poverty in many advanced nations"

- Can you elaborate on this? Things are bad... but 30,70, and 100 years ago as a portion of population worse... With far more common hunger issues, starvation, severe medical issues, working conditions, etc....

watch the riots in Tunesia .. due to 20%+ unemployment rate .. ditto in Egypt, Spain, Ireland soon, Brussles, Berlin, certain E-German towns, Hungary, Albania, Greece .. states which used to be "industrialized" or "advanced" or certainly "advancing" are sitting on timebombs sich as

a) youth unemployment rates due to excessive government regulations, corruption, tax evasion, minimum wage floors, excessive governments or high taxes

b) burgeoning deficits

Ever been to the US innercities ?

I was in LA this spring .. nice countryside, flowers, beaches, Hollywood, BelAire, ... but only 1km east of downtown LA is was very scary as if a bomb had exploded: old derelict warehouses, people lurking, lineup for food kitchens or shelters, dozens of folks pushing their cart ..

Unfortunately, with only modest tax increases the US could fix this .. but chose not to ! Much much harder in the middle-east, N-Africa, S-Europe .. too much debt, too high salaries especially for civil servants, uncompetitve workforces to compete with Asian factories ..

housingrental

Registered
Thanks Thomas, you are correct on all. In the US there are different worlds blocks apart.

But weren't in many area's things much worse in the past?

gwasser

Registered
[quote user=housingrental]Godfried - Needs more real estate content. Care to post forecasting post number 2 - real estate edition?

What is there to say about real estate? It is boring and profitable over the long term. :)

I wrote in my first post: : "In terms of real estate, I foresee an excellent year in the West for landlords and modest real estate price increases along with the recovering Alberta economy. Also, this part of the country lagged last year's excellent performance in Eastern Canada and B.C. due to HST fears, Olympics and rising interest anxiety. In 2011 the West Canadian real estate will outperform. Alberta will rise and fall with China's and other BRIC country performance. It may also benefit, along with the Rest of Canada, from the U.S. recovery and improving U.S. consumer confidence. Expect low interest rates that will gradually increase throughout 2011 along with the improving North American economy. "

Here are some more details as I see it.

Alberta's economy is recovering but hopefully does not get as heated as in 2006 and 2007. I think that the balance between economic growth and oil price will stop the industry from overheating. Gas prices may be depressed for another year or 2. We still have a poor understanding of the impact of 'shale gas' on the overall producable gas reserves in North America. So especially Central Alberta, and to a lesser degree NW ALberta and NE BC, will underperform economically. Eastern Alberta, arupund the oil sands projects and in Edmonton will be the economic hot spot. But it is difficult to understand why it is so tough to build more residences in towns such as Ft McMurray. What is stopping their expansion? Is it provincial vs municipal red tape? Calgary is overbuild, but developers in Ft McMurray seem incapable of even creating a balanced market there. So we're getting there some outrageously high rents.

Calgary vacancies are 'only' 3.6% but yet this vacancy rate seems to be very dependant on the type of real estate. I see still reasonable value for the single condo unit buyer in 2 bedroom apartment condos in NW Calgary and for townhouses in the NE. How long this window of opportunity will last? Who knows? But I expect pretty soon a return to more normal rates of appreciation - which in Calgary lies in the 5 to 8% range with cap rates under 3%. Edmonton may, strangely enough be a tougher market - places such as Queen Mary Park are as rough if not rougher than NE Calgary and although it is an area in transition, the improvements seem never to take place. After rapid appreciation between 2004 and 2008, prices have fallen back by close to 20% and seem to be unpredictable due to landlords growing impatient and dumping their properties. Although Edmonton's overall vacancy rates are only a tad higher than Calgary's (4.5%? vs 3.6%), Queen Mary Park seem to have buildings with vacancy rates as high as 20% and rents have fallen from $980 down to $795 for two bedroom units. Maybe 2011 will provide a clearer picture.

I expect rising interest rates and continued tougher credit requirements from the government in response to market speculation in Toronto and Vancouver. This favors Canadian landlords. Resumption of positive net migration into Alberta also will be good for landlords. This spring demand for 2 bedroom apartments and town house rentals will likely improve and translate possible later in 2011 into rental increases. Operators such as Boardwalk, Western Canada's largest landlord sound cautiously optimistic.

I diagree with Thomas that real estate appreciation will be low and that returns will decrease to single digits. I am more optimistic and expect appreciation to resume at a decent clip between 2012 and 2014 but not right away.

Is that enough futuristic real estate BS?

EdRenkema

Registered
Thanks Adam for insisting on that redundancy...

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=gwasser]I diagree with Thomas that real estate appreciation will be low and that returns will decrease to single digits. I am more optimistic and expect appreciation to resume at a decent clip between 2012 and 2014

wow .. the conservative Godfried predicts another real estate boom. I won't mind, of course !!

But I said, ON AVERAGE, 3-4%/year, so it might be: 3% in 2011, 6% in 2012, 7% in 2013, -1% in 2014 (headlines: the bubble burst again, head for the hills), 2015 + 2% .. thus not a straight line but still 18% or so in 5 years .. as one has to make some prudent assumptions in life before one steps .. I thought 3-4%/year on average is prudent .. more is of course, always appreciated .. and more if one upgrades assets (like we do frequently) !!

Look in this post here in 2015 for a picture if the average price real estate has appreciated more than 20% over 2010 as I will be buying an expensive bottle of bubbly for Godfried and we'll drink it together and celebrate !! [of course, Godfried, being ever so modest, might resort to Belgian beer .. but then, Belgium might not exist in its current undivided form in 2015 .. but I digress]

gwasser

Registered
wow .. the conservative Godfried predicts another real estate boom. I won't mind, of course !!

But I said, ON AVERAGE, 3-4%/year, so it might be: 3% in 2011, 6% in 2012, 7% in 2013, -1% in 2014 (headlines: the bubble burst again, head for the hills), 2015 + 2% .. thus not a straight line but still 18% or so in 5 years .. as one has to make some prudent assumptions in life before one steps .. I thought 3-4%/year on average is prudent .. more is of course, always appreciated .. and more if one upgrades assets (like we do frequently) !!

Look in this post here in 2015 for a picture if the average price real estate has appreciated more than 20% over 2010 as I will be buying an expensive bottle of bubbly for Godfried and we'll drink it together and celebrate !! [of course, Godfried, being ever so modest, might resort to Belgian beer .. but then, Belgium might not exist in its current undivided form in 2015 .. but I digress]

Thanks for the clarification and for the bubbly, which I am happy to share. A decent Riesling would also do; but although Belgian Beer is OK, in all modesty, I do prefer Dutch beer. :)

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=gwasser]I do prefer Dutch beer. :)

such as ?

[not the over-marketed, and at best average Heinecken ?]

gwasser

Registered
Heineken? Heaven forbid. My home town beer is Grolsch. In fact, I like Big Rock Traditional or Wild Rose Brewery beer made in good-old Calgary even better.

Top Bottom