When I call the Development Technical Advisor at city hall, they said they can`t tell me much unless I give the actual address.

Allie

Registered
Jan 15, 2011
Will giving the actual address and making an inquiry on my property get me in trouble? I would like to know the legalities of this. If I call them and they tell me my suites are illegal, am I worse off than not calling them at all?

brentdavies

Registered
Aug 31, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Because you are asking a property specific question, they cannot answer unless they know the property. What is the current zoning and current usage. Does the property comply with the current zoning. They can give improper advice and that is why they want the details.

The city does not go out looking for illegal suites, but they complaint driven.

If you only have a basement suite, then you may want to give your address, as the city is relaxing the basement suite zoning requirements. They will work with you to bring the suite up to date.

3 plexes, or rooming houses are another issue and the Safe Housing Committee is looking for you. Many Vetern investors can tell a lot of stories about dealing with the Safe Housing Committee.

Your post is not clear what you want from the city. Are you looking for general zoning information, or what you have to do to upgrade your secondary suite ( basement suite)?

Ask the tough question and someone will direct you to the right area.