Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

When the price is right you can definitely sell

gwasser

Registered
Over the last year, condomium prices, in particular apartments in Calgary have come down both in price and volume. In October barely 340 units sold citywide. So maybe we`re setting up for a major crash and maybe Calgary`s condo market is overbuild?

Think again! After years of muddled city planning, Calgary came up with a new strategy to fight urban sprawl. Build mini-downtowns around LRT stations. One of the first to benefit was the Brentwood shopping centre where Riocan together with developer Metropia and builder Knightbridge Homes proposed a 5 phase condominium development with nearly 700 new units.

The doors were opened of University City`s showroom 3 days ago. The First phase was a large 18 floor 216 unit tower right across from U of C, adjacent to a LRT station and surrounded by a major shopping mall, while located just off NW Calgary`s major traffic artery `Crowchild Trail`. There are underground parking stalls and excercise rooms.

The units range from 343 sft studios to 705 sft 2 bedroom aparments with a basic and a luxury interior package. Prices ranged from $159K upto 368K for an 18th floor unit. The mainfloor will be retail. Considering that you can buy 2 bedrooms apartment condos build in the 1980s with 730 sft in nearby desirable Varsity for around $210K the prices were quite reasonable. Considering the location and that this is the price you pay (after a deposit) 2.5 years from now when the first phase was supposed to be completed (so potentially 3% annual appreciation in REIN`s 2010 number 1 town to invest) this was a good deal. Rents are likely to be somewhat higher than the apartments available nearby because of its `first amongst premier` locations and the fact that the units are brand spanking new (or is it spanking brand new?).

Well many Calgarians thought so. Within a day the Phase I was nearly sold out! The project partners were so blown away, they decided to sell the units for a similar tower in Phase II as well and if favorable they would build both towers simulataneously. Both phases were virtually sold out in 3 days! The website for University City was barely functional and when you walked through the showroom facility you`d think it was WallMart with a good sale!

So when the price is right and the location is right, you can sell real estate, in this case they sold twice as many condos in 3 days then there were resale condos sold citywide for the entire month of October! Wow!

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (ThomasBeyer @ Nov 4 2010, 08:44 PM) wow .. like Vancouver !!

How many did you sell, Godfried ?

I bought one! Initially I wanted more but it was such a zoo, I didn`t want to get in too deep.

During this recession, I realized that it is so difficult without extensive networks and experience to buy multi-family in Calgary. So I focussed on small condos in NW Calgary around $200K with positive (but not generous) cashflow and a maximum leverage of 25%.

The Calgary condo market is anemic right now. Not many buyers and enough for sale to be able to sort the poor ones from the real deals (not steals). I also have seen a similar complex as University City (North Hill Shopping Mall adjacent to an LRT station - Lions Park) being developed succesfully although with much more expensive condos. Another complex accross from Brentwood was also quite succesfull with ever higher moving prices. So seeing those opportunities slip by, when University City came out, I was on the ball. But it was an overwhelming experience to walk in literally with my checkbook in my hand.

I am pretty sure it will work out -- over the long term and the price as said was close to right. There is here definitely a speculative element (I assumed that with two and half years of recovery ahead I can count on 3% annual appreciation and better rents) - let`s pray to the lords of investment that this proves right.

Top Bottom