Who regulates property managers in Ontario?

Nicola

Registered
Does anyone know how property managers are regulated in Ontario? Are they required to be licenced realtors as they are in Alberta?

housingrental

Registered
No. They`re not required unless it`s for condo management. I`m aware of a dimploma program from Humber College, and designations (aihm - institute of housing management - I think but not certain it`s required for certain pm functions for city of toronto housing and arm and cpm through the real estate institute of canada)

Nicola

Registered
Thanks Adam.

So if my property manager is not paying us the net rent he has collected, what recourse would we have (besides legal action)?

housingrental

Registered
I guess you can try contacting any associations a part of (bbb?, apartment managers association? other listed in post above?)
If the situation is outright theft and then nonresponsive over a long period than why not legal action? Or what`s the issue?

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 12 2008, 12:00 PM) I guess you can try contacting any associations a part of (bbb?, apartment managers association? other listed in post above?)
If the situation is outright theft and then nonresponsive over a long period than why not legal action? Or what`s the issue?

My problem is legal action is expensive, especially if you have to go to court. (I`m not in Canada, so I couldn`t go to small claims court.) I might try the BBB - though they are not a member I see they had a complaint against them that appears to have been resolved through the BBB.

Haimr

Registered
Hi Nicola,

I have other situation with some vendor which bill me on work which I didn`t order, I used the "Consumer Protection" the problem is they can`t force any action, the only action they can do is to add your claim to there database, in case they have few more complain on the relevant company they will submit deep investigation which can lead to Government law action.

Here is the link check it.

http://www.gov.on.ca/MGS/en/Contact/STEL01_045739.html

Haim Rabinoviz

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 13 2008, 02:31 AM) What`s the exact situation? Is there a dispute or just criminal theft?

Well, I`ve not been getting any response to my inquiries (emails, faxes). Really poor communication, what seem to be excessive repair and maintenance charges (don`t know as I don`t have any invoices) and rent not deposited. I don`t know if it`s intentional or just inefficiency.

I got a hold of someone on the phone today, so hopefully I can get it sorted out.

I don`t think it`s to the point of legal action or even complaints to the BBB or Consumer Protection, but I just wanted to know where I could turn if necessary.

Nicola

Registered
QUOTE (Haimr @ Nov 13 2008, 07:42 AM) Hi Nicola,

I have other situation with some vendor which bill me on work which I didn`t order, I used the "Consumer Protection" the problem is they can`t force any action, the only action they can do is to add your claim to there database, in case they have few more complain on the relevant company they will submit deep investigation which can lead to Government law action.

Here is the link check it.

http://www.gov.on.ca/MGS/en/Contact/STEL01_045739.html

Haim Rabinoviz

Good suggestion, thanks!