Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Who shall get access to building minutes?

angelapeng

Registered
Hi, All, need your brain regarding the following:

I have a number of rental properties in one building. The strata management company asks to put a notice in the building lobby to allow all the residents access to the online building minutes. (They have not collected all the email addresses from the owners yet, and I have suggested them to do so, they agree to do it from next meeting). However, they still want to put the notice in the lobby for the public to access to it this time.

My thought is there are quite a number of tenants in the building, once the notice is up, everybody including the tenants will all have access to the minutes. I do think that it shall be up to their landlords to make the decision, it is not strata council or strata management companies's rights to give them the access to the minutes. I thought it is unnecessary to disclose everything to the tenants if it is not needed. Strata minutes could have discussions financially matter to the owners, but not to the tenants. It may or may not be harmful to the owners, but why bother to disclose to the tenants?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Angela

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
You are correct, tenants should not see it. Usually there's is a user-ID and PW, and that should be individual, per owner. It could be mailed by the strata manager.

angelapeng

Registered
Thanks, Thomas. I am going to go back to talk to the strata manager.

Angela

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Just a thought, but a tenant can attend meetings as the unit owner's representative, so tenants should be allowed to see the minutes if the unit owner chooses the tenant as his representative. But again, this should go through the unit owner and he could set up the tenant with a user name and password.

angelapeng

Registered
Sherilynn,

The notice will be posted in the lobby of the building. It will not only be seen by the tenants, but also visitors, Canada post mail man, cleaning people and etc, basically, the general public. I do not see the need to expose this notice to the general public.

I will emphasize this to the strata manager, and suggest to use individual password by each owner.

And, totally agree with you, at the end of the day, it is up to the owner to decide whether to share with the tenants or not.

Top Bottom