Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Who should cut the grass? Upstairs or downstairs?

Sophie_8140

New Forum Member
Registered
Hello Everyone,

Here's my question,

-Lanlord/owner lives upstairs and have access to the shed And front yard.

- Tenant lives downstairs, do not have access to the shed and have the backyard. And of course, do not have a mower.

Who should cut the grass in front and backyard?

Thank you!

Sophie_8140

New Forum Member
Registered
Agree with you Rickson. Ive read the lease multiple time and cant find anything.ATTACH]ImageUploadedBymyREINspace1465838360.069422.jpgImageUploadedBymyREINspace1465838371.802768.jpgImageUploadedBymyREINspace1465838383.197118.jpgImageUploadedBymyREINspace1465838397.221707.jpgImageUploadedBymyREINspace1465838411.189478.jpgImageUploadedBymyREINspace1465838437.208237.jpgImageUploadedBymyREINspace1465838449.793576.jpgImageUploadedBymyREINspace1465838461.327162.jpg

kfort

Registered
Reasonable people don't fight over / refuse to cut grass. Spell it out in the lease and let them know prior that deadbeats aren't welcome. Unless its pristine it can probably be done 2-3 times / month and look just fine

Sophie_8140

New Forum Member
Registered
Yes I know its sounds like a childish question. Sorry you had to answer to that. But its a real question that could help not having a fight for this in the future.
Thanks

kfort

Registered
I didn't say it was childish, I've run into it myself before (more frequently w snow shovelling). Put it in the lease, along with a penalty (say $50) for every time it has to be done for them. Explain this all prior to handing over keys and have them initial the clause.

Richard May

New Forum Member
Registered
You could have a lawn maintenance company come and do it for you. Or if you're the owner you could provide the service for them. My tenants love that it's always done for them, no one argues between the tenants if it doesn't get done and they can call me if my team isn't on it right away. Do other people use lawn maintenance companies for their duplexes and multi family homes?

Sophie_8140

New Forum Member
Registered
But my question to you is With everything you know now, who do you think should cut the grass in the backyard, upstairs or downstairs?

We just cut the grass, but we still think it should have been the landlord. We are the tenants and we are in the process to buy a rental property in the next few months. We dont want to move out for grass hahaha! But its just for the principle you know :)

Anyway, he told me to use his mower but it's an electric one who will take me 3 charge to cut my backyard.

I will make sure its in the contract next time.

Lessons learned!

Sophie_8140

New Forum Member
Registered
Well exactly Richard,

As a landlord I would have done it for my tenants. They are our client and client appreciate a good service.

kfort

Registered
With everything you know now, who do you think should cut the grass in the backyard, upstairs or downstairs?

With everything I've experienced thus far, anyone who wants the backyard & front yard divided for usage and/or maintenance is being intentionally difficult and will continue to be so to the point of scheduled laundry times or similar.

Where I'm at, it isn't necessary to deal with these folks as there's plenty of demand for rentals with neighbours who don't act like this.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
As stated above: who cuts the grass? Depends what is in the contract.

If you want to be incredibly difficult then don't cut the grass. It is the landlord's responsibility.

Really not that complicated.

Who should cut the grass? See above. I usually ask main floor to cut grass and basement to weed.

Courtney Hammond

Courtney Hammond
Registered
In our contracts with up/down suites the yards are divided and each tenant is required to cut the grass on their side. If the tenants don't want to cut the grass, they can pay for it to be cut. As the landlord we provide the lawn mower if they don't own one when they move in.

We currently live in one of our up/dwn and I cut the grass because my cousin is in the basement and doesn't know how to use a lawn mower. In exchange, she takes the garbage to the curb each week. But in the contract she would be expected to cut her share of the yard.

Top Bottom