Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Whyt are real estate individual self-obsessed?

Gen1GT

Registered
OK, so don`t take this the wrong way, but it`s an observation I`ve had for a long time. Why are real estate individuals so obsessed with seeing their own picture? Especially agents/brokers.

It`s the only profession in the world (other than modelling) that pretty much requires that you show everyone your picture. Why is everyone so obsessive? Why do I care what a real estate agent looks like? Why do agents not realize that not all of them are pretty, and shouldn`t advertise the fact?

I can open a local real-estate periodical, and an entire page is wasted with a hundred head shots instead of home photos.

Can anyone explain this craziness? LOL

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Good question!

I always asked myself that too before becoming a Realtor. This needs to be done to bring about `top of mind awareness`, where you become recognizable. You give your potential clients a chance to see that you are more than `just a salesperson`.

Before I started adding my pictures to some materials, I had to decide very carefully whether or not it was the right thing to do. For me, being in a small town (under 20K), this made a lot of sense to do as it`s much easier to gain top of mind awareness. I have decals on my truck, a cube van, much more as well...and it`s definately not because I like to see myself..it`s to `put out the word` and to create business.

I`m sure you will get additional responses as well - and probably some people do like to see their face in public..but I`m not part of that crowd.

Good luck!

markl

Registered
My hypothesis is that Agents and Brokers are in the name and face recognition business. Some people remember names and some faces. If they want to be top of mind when you are considering selling or buying then they have to have their name and/or face in front of you. It also may make an initial meeting easier they have seen your face for years on the bench they may be more comfortable with you. Although I would be interested if anybody has any insights into specific studies on these facts.

Biggest thing is they are building the brand which is themselves.

markl

Registered
Wow Mitch and I were typing the same thing at the same time eerie

Gen1GT

Registered
Those are valid points. However, if it`s a marketing technique that works, why is it only realtors do it? It`s funny, because of the nature of the real estate industry, if you don`t put your picture out there, customers will probably think you`re shady. LOL

mortgageman

Registered
QUOTE (Gen1GT @ Jan 29 2010, 09:32 AM) Those are valid points. However, if it`s a marketing technique that works, why is it only realtors do it? It`s funny, because of the nature of the real estate industry, if you don`t put your picture out there, customers will probably think you`re shady. LOL

I`d argue that it`s "follow-the-pack" and "me-too" marketing due to not knowing what else to do. I`m not trying to pick on realtors or anyone else. The fact is most small business owners and solo-preneurs don`t know how to market - so they copy what they see.

I bet dollars to donuts most realtors can`t tell you how many leads a bus bench with their face on it produced and what their return on investment for that bus bench was.

I`ve spent a lot of money and a lot of time learning to market my business. (Heck I`m doing it right now.)
I have a marketing coach, a team of people who help me with things like my website, google adwords, my monthly newsletter, etc.

If you want to learn a really interesting system of marketing that is applicable to any business go to www.dankennedy.com

The basic premise is build a herd of loyal followers who are in a niche as quickly as possible. Focus on marketing frequently, consistently and continually to that niche/herd using valuable information. Make sure no competitors can steal members of your herd - or at least keep it to a minimum. Find ways to sell repeatedly to the herd and voila, you`ve got yourself an effective marketing system and a great business.

It`s exactly the way the REIN model works with perhaps some specific modifications.

All the best,
Jason

Top Bottom