Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Would you invest in this one?

RandyDalton

Registered
Hi all,

I am looking at putting in an offer on a tripex with the following numbers. Please let me know your thoughts and please be brutally honest.

Purchase Price $230K
Downpayment 10%
Mortgage inc. CMCH $932.72
LOC Interest only budget at 4% (actual at prime) for downpayment $96.58
Heat $2400
Water $400
Electrical paid by tenants
Taxes $3000
Insurance $1000
Property Mgmt. (8%) $2200
R&M (8%) $2200

Rents $2320
Vacancy 5.4%

Net Cash $2,700
Cash on Cash Return 9.4%

Appreciating all your feedback in advance.

Regards...Randy D.

invst4profit

Registered
As I evaluate the numbers:

Gross rent: __________________$2320/month
Operating expenses (50%) _____$1160/month ___(long term)
Net income __________________$1160/month
Debt repayment ______________$1093/month ___($230,000, 30yr, @4%)

Cash flow + $67/month

With close property management , assuming it is a newer building, you could increase your cash flow for a few years but repairs will climb with time.
All things considered what with the low cash flow and the fact that heat and water are inclusive I would pass.
You might consider offering $200,000 but personally I never buy with utilities included.

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Another thing you haven`t factored in is saving for vacancy, or building a reserve fund.

Is this property a legal triplex, or something that could potentially be shut down by your local municipality?

From my calculations, you`ll be paying $1,785 per month on fixed expenses, and when you add $150 for vacancy, it leaves you with total expenses of $1,935.

Your total cash flow would be $385.

Just for your information, I am currently getting higher than flow than that from brand new 1/2 duplexes. So keep in mind that you`ll have 300% the management work (probably more as it`s probably an older building and will attract a different crowd) and this also gives you 300% higher chance of having a vacancy.

While the rent to purchase price seems good, this is a great example of how paying utilities can eat all your profits. Is it possible to submeter the property and have tenants pay? Even if it takes a couple years so make this happen, then you might have a real cash cow on your hands.

But as it sits, I also wouldn`t touch it - just my $0.02!

Good luck

housingrental

Registered
Randy - I think this deal looks good. In fact its one of the best deals I`ve seen posted here. Re above post make sure it`s legal.

invst4profit

Registered
Housingrental I know you are quite experienced in the Hamilton area price and cost wise but I can honestly say if that is a good deal I am very happy not to be investing in your area.$

Good luck Eh.

LarryTeeple

Registered
On the surface the numbers seem to make sense. The age and state of repair obviously can skew the numbers, but you have at least added the $2200 for R&M.

The wild card in this property is the heating costs. Is there a reasonable way to separate the heating system? I have a duplex which I split into two electrical meters, and added electric baseboard heating to the smaller unit. The forced air heating now heats only one unit, so the utilities are paid by the tenants.

In Ontario, the land of rent controls, my business plan is to offload as many utility costs as possible. I just heard the new harmonized tax will be applied to utilities. This is another example of an expense we have no control over, and you can`t budget what you can`t control.

Good luck and thanks for posting. This is the basic nuts and bolts of our business and it`s good to hear different opinions.

Larry Teeple

manojsingh

Registered
Hi Randy,
Why not buy two townhouse in roughly 130 range and rent will almost be same. But way less headache. Because I know that you will manage the property and most valuable item we have is our time. We have to value it atleast $50/hr (my suggestion) for first threee four year of investing career. After that we can increase this value. Thanks

RandyDalton

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jun 11 2009, 09:37 AM) As I evaluate the numbers:

Gross rent: __________________$2320/month
Operating expenses (50%) _____$1160/month ___(long term)
Net income __________________$1160/month
Debt repayment ______________$1093/month ___($230,000, 30yr, @4%)

Cash flow + $67/month

With close property management , assuming it is a newer building, you could increase your cash flow for a few years but repairs will climb with time.
All things considered what with the low cash flow and the fact that heat and water are inclusive I would pass.
You might consider offering $200,000 but personally I never buy with utilities included.

Hi Greg,

Excuse the novice but if expenses are going to go up long term wouldn`t we expect rents to go up as well?

Regards...Randy D.

RandyDalton

Registered
QUOTE (LarryTeeple @ Jun 11 2009, 03:44 PM) On the surface the numbers seem to make sense. The age and state of repair obviously can skew the numbers, but you have at least added the $2200 for R&M.

The wild card in this property is the heating costs. Is there a reasonable way to separate the heating system? I have a duplex which I split into two electrical meters, and added electric baseboard heating to the smaller unit. The forced air heating now heats only one unit, so the utilities are paid by the tenants.

In Ontario, the land of rent controls, my business plan is to offload as many utility costs as possible. I just heard the new harmonized tax will be applied to utilities. This is another example of an expense we have no control over, and you can`t budget what you can`t control.

Good luck and thanks for posting. This is the basic nuts and bolts of our business and it`s good to hear different opinions.

Larry Teeple

Hi Larry,

As a strong environmentalist trust me when I say I don`t like buying properties without separate gas and hydro. (It is human nature not to conserve or care when you are not directly affected.) Thus I was happy to see this property had separate hydro which is paid by the tenants. That leaves heat so I will be either splitting the gas meters in time or switching to electric heat, not my first option. Question...if you separate out the heat while tenanted by installing electric heat and make the tenant pay these costs what is the LTB going to say about it?

Minoj...I really want to go MFD however the wife wants me to get my feet wet first. So we are trying to stay away from condos and go towards multiplexes for the first couple of properties.

Regards...Randy D.

GaryMcGowan

Registered
Randy you are right we expect rents to go up but not at speed our expenses will go up if the Harmonized tax goes through. Now we can raise the rents to whatever we see fit once a tenant moves out.
As Don mentioned; we should all send a letter to our tenants explaining the effects of the harmonized tax and how it will increase rents to cover the costs. Included in the letter is the local MP`s contact information.

The property looks to have ok numbers. I have seen a lot worse numbers posted. (I would like to see stronger cash flow)

Greg:
Do you invest for cash flow, appreciation or both?? What is your min cash flow per door you look at? It’s good to understand everyone’s thoughts on this before taking advice. We invest for cash flow then appreciation. There are other factors of course like location and is the area on the rise or are people moving out. Are local governments helping to improve the area or are they lazy. These are just some of the fundamentals we look at.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Greg
Err Waterloo and I`ve done better but this isn`t bad at all..
Isn`t this the best posted yet? It beats the regular sub 5% cap ones with ease

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jun 11 2009, 02:12 PM) Housingrental I know you are quite experienced in the Hamilton area price and cost wise but I can honestly say if that is a good deal I am very happy not to be investing in your area.$

Good luck Eh.

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
I don`t know Adam;

I just had a builder I bought 4 properties from last year contact me a few days ago and wants to sell me 6 legally suited houses with seperate entrances, utilities and more for $350,000 each.

With the rental rates of $1,500 for the top floor and $1,200 bottom floor with tenants paying all utilities, I`m looking at a 9.26% ROI on a legal, brand new property with only 2 tenants.

A lof of people look at multifamily properties and look at the cash flow compared to a Single family home - but they`re not comparing all of the extra work that the additional units will create. That MUST be factored into any decision or you`re simply not valuing your time at all.

If anyone is interested in properties like these, contact me. I`m going to be a Realtor in FSJ very soon - I write my exam next week and will be working with Century 21 as a cash flow investment Realtor!

Good luck everyone!

housingrental

Registered
Mitch - Re run your numbers. Randy`s net rent is higher than your potential purchase and for parity you`d need to be collecting $3180/month rent with tenants pay utilities. Randy will have a higher ROI then you from operations. Also you`re purchasing in Fort St. John !

Re multi-family - no additional work vs single family if hes hiring a pm. In fact though harder to manage you can often find more pms to manage a multi-plex then will take on a sfh because of more $$.

RandyDalton

Registered
Just wanted to thank everyone who provided their comments. We did put an offer in on this property however lost it to a lower bid. Realtor thinks the big issue was our offer was conditional on verification of a Legal Non-Conforming Triplex. Makes you stop and think if it really is legal.

Regards...Randy D.

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jun 11 2009, 05:27 PM) Mitch - Re run your numbers. Randy`s net rent is higher than your potential purchase and for parity you`d need to be collecting $3180/month rent with tenants pay utilities. Randy will have a higher ROI then you from operations. Also you`re purchasing in Fort St. John !Re multi-family - no additional work vs single family if hes hiring a pm. In fact though harder to manage you can often find more pms to manage a multi-plex then will take on a sfh because of more $$.

Hi Adam;

Well, let`s look at this a little closer.

Randy - please do not take this the wrong way - I`m not used to the area you`re investing in, and I am just hoping to add some value to your decision to purchase this property, not to discourage you from taking action!

Randy`s property has a purchase price of $230,000.
His rental income is $2,320 per month, giving a ROI figure of 121.04%, correct? (I know this is w/o calculating expenses - just a guideline)

While that seems extremely good, three things come to my mind upon seeing these numbers.

1. This property is probably illegally suited. In my area, you will typically only see properties with this high of an income to purchase price ratio when you delve into illegal/nonconforming suites. So - if this is true (and forgive me if it isn`t, I`m just guessing based upon my own experience) you must realize the risk there as well. What will the return be if 1 or 2 of those suites gets pulled?

2. I also assume that this building is older and probably in need of repairs or deferred maintenance. Has this been factored into your initial budget? I`ve bought properties like that, and it`s easy to sink $40K+ into them when you need to upgrade electrical, plumbing, windows, flooring, etc. This must be accounted for, and also realize that this `additional` money will be more expensive (if ir`s being borrowed) because you will have to pay typically a higher interest rate or a lower Amortization period to repay the loan to do this work. So, if it does require work, figure out what will be needed, and add that to your expense list.

3. As far as allowing a PM to do all the work, that`s fine IF you want mediocre results. At the least, I`d be advertising for my PM and sending all the applicants to the PM to view, etc. Now, also consider that if a PM does the required work for you, you will probably be paying much more than getting renovations or maintenance done yourself. It`s been my experience that PM companies will typically charge out maintenance employees at approx $65/hr while paying them less than half of that. So if you hired a great handyman at $35/hr (which I have a full time one personally) you would save thousands if you required a lot of work.

Now, this is the cashflow analysis I have for this property - I hope this helps you see how others look at properties as well, Randy. (ALL NUMBERS ROUNDED TO SAVE TIME)

Income of $2,194 (After taking off Randy`s figure of 5.4% for vacancy)

Expenses
Mortgage - $932
Taxes - $250
Insurance - $85
LOC - $100
PM - $185
R+M - $185
Heat - $200
Water - $35

Total Expenses of $1,972 per month.

This leaves a positive cash flow of $222 per month

Everyone agree with that so far?

Now take into consideration that this does not include any figures for the upgrading or deferred maintenance that will probably be required if it`s an older building, so this figure could potentially be less, and also does not take into account the building of a reserve fund for the first couple years - it appears that if he`s purchasing it with a LOC, I`m assuming Randy is purchasing w/o a JV partner.Randy, would you share with us what interest rate and amortization your mortgage will be?

And if you plan to hold long term, will there be a buyer for an older building (once again assuming that it is older - I might be wrong here!)?

Now let`s take a look at the property I posted to show the difference.

Purchase Price of $350,000

Income - $2,700 per month
($2,565 after a 5% vacancy allowance)

Expenses
Mortgage - $1,320 (Based on 20% down, 35 year amortization rate and a 4.5% rate)
Taxes - $260
Insurance - $100
Repairs - $50 (Brand new buildings, or else I`d never allow for this low of a number initially)
PM - $216 (Also, personally I do all my own MGMT, but I am allowing for a 8% here just for parity)

Total Expenses of $1,950

Total CashFlow of $619/mth

Now, the main difference here is that my example is using a 20% down, and that there is no repayment of a LOC. This is because I`d enter into a JV partner where I would ask for the JV partner to put in at least 20% down here in this situation. I just wanted to point that out myself before 15 people pointed this out. (Cash flow would be approx $547 per month with 10% down, not including CMHC fees, etc).

But in this situation, you`ve got a guaranteed legal suite, seperate utilities, brand new development that will not require MAJOR renovations or maintenance for probably 10 years. This will help you to `normalize` your cash flow over your investment horizon, and will keep your property cash flowing, and when it comes time to sell, you will still have a relatively new property to sell, making it more attractive (arguably).

Randy, after looking at your property again, I`d give it a thumbs up IF it is not illegally suites and IF it does not require MAJOR renovations and/or deferred maintenance.

Hope that helps you see how others look at cash flow analysis - even roughly like that, and the reasoning behind certain things.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or anything else.

Mitch

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
QUOTE (RandyDalton @ Jun 11 2009, 05:52 PM) Just wanted to thank everyone who provided their comments. We did put an offer in on this property however lost it to a lower bid. Realtor thinks the big issue was our offer was conditional on verification of a Legal Non-Conforming Triplex. Makes you stop and think if it really is legal.

Regards...Randy D.

Congratulations on making that a `Subject To` in your purchase offer!
While having a couple illegal suites is probably not going to hurt you, I`ve seen a few people buy ONLY these properties and just get devastated when the City decides to check one of their units, finds an illegal suite and then decides to check them all!!

My advice with these suites is to purchase ONLY if you can afford the property out of pocket w/o the additional income.

Good luck with your next purchase, Randy!

invst4profit

Registered
Randy:

As mentioned although rents rise so do expenses and if you are unfortunate enough to get long term tenants in Ontario your rents will fall even farther behind.

Gary:

I invest for cash flow.
Appreciation is not a major consideration simply a nice bonus when I sell but most likely I will be providing a VTB so different variables. This past recession is a sharp reminder that appreciation is simply long term speculation.
I recently moved away from conventional rental properties to reduce my work load and open up additional income streams in preparation for my retirement..
Due to the fact that I presently target a specialty market many factors most investors take into consideration may or may not apply to my investments. As an example the top 10 list and transportation routes are irrelevant. Financing is virtually impossible. The majority of my tenants are either retired seniors or lower income middle age (on children) so very different than most. I also do not have buildings to maintain so my expenses are lower than average.
My market has eliminated most of the maintenance issues of being a LL but requires new skill sets to allow personal management. Hiring someone to manage is however common with this area of investment.

housingrental

Registered
"1. This property is probably illegally suited. In my area, you will typically only see properties with this high of an income to purchase price ratio when you delve into illegal/nonconforming suites. So - if this is true (and forgive me if it isn`t, I`m just guessing based upon my own experience) you must realize the risk there as well. What will the return be if 1 or 2 of those suites gets pulled?" This is a good point and I agree with you if its not legal. This wasn`t mentioned in is his post though so I was assuming it`s legal.

"2. I also assume that this building is older and probably in need of repairs or deferred maintenance. Has this been factored into your initial budget? I`ve bought properties like that, and it`s easy to sink $40K+ into them when you need to upgrade electrical, plumbing, windows, flooring, etc. This must be accounted for, and also realize that this `additional` money will be more expensive (if ir`s being borrowed) because you will have to pay typically a higher interest rate or a lower Amortization period to repay the loan to do this work. So, if it does require work, figure out what will be needed, and add that to your expense list." For sure. I also agree with you on this. But no $$ in were mentioned so prudent to assume not needed.

"3. As far as allowing a PM to do all the work, that`s fine IF you want mediocre results. At the least, I`d be advertising for my PM and sending all the applicants to the PM to view, etc. Now, also consider that if a PM does the required work for you, you will probably be paying much more than getting renovations or maintenance done yourself. It`s been my experience that PM companies will typically charge out maintenance employees at approx $65/hr while paying them less than half of that. So if you hired a great handyman at $35/hr (which I have a full time one personally) you would save thousands if you required a lot of work." I`ll somewhat disagree on this.. there are many terrible pm companies and many just OK pm`s.. but there are many great ones too... Most people don`t advertise for their property when hiring a pm and if your manager is competent there should be no reason to waste your time on that. Also note than many pm companies, like mine, do not mark up worker fees. If a worker costs $25 worker bills out for $25, etc.. Also I`m often able to get workers to stop in to places in a few hours if needed and preempt other peoples work because some of the companies I`ve been dealing with for years and given hundreds of jobs too... It can be hard to find good, reasonable priced trades that you can phone for an electrical issue at 4:00pm and have them come at 7:30pm that night for most non pm companies.

QUOTE (MitchCollins @ Jun 11 2009, 09:03 PM) Hi Adam;

Well, let`s look at this a little closer.

Randy - please do not take this the wrong way - I`m not used to the area you`re investing in, and I am just hoping to add some value to your decision to purchase this property, not to discourage you from taking action!Randy`s property has a purchase price of $230,000.His rental income is $2,320 per month, giving a ROI figure of 121.04%, correct? (I know this is w/o calculating expenses - just a guideline)
While that seems extremely good, three things come to my mind upon seeing these numbers.

1. This property is probably illegally suited. In my area, you will typically only see properties with this high of an income to purchase price ratio when you delve into illegal/nonconforming suites. So - if this is true (and forgive me if it isn`t, I`m just guessing based upon my own experience) you must realize the risk there as well. What will the return be if 1 or 2 of those suites gets pulled?

2. I also assume that this building is older and probably in need of repairs or deferred maintenance. Has this been factored into your initial budget? I`ve bought properties like that, and it`s easy to sink $40K+ into them when you need to upgrade electrical, plumbing, windows, flooring, etc. This must be accounted for, and also realize that this `additional` money will be more expensive (if ir`s being borrowed) because you will have to pay typically a higher interest rate or a lower Amortization period to repay the loan to do this work. So, if it does require work, figure out what will be needed, and add that to your expense list.

3. As far as allowing a PM to do all the work, that`s fine IF you want mediocre results. At the least, I`d be advertising for my PM and sending all the applicants to the PM to view, etc. Now, also consider that if a PM does the required work for you, you will probably be paying much more than getting renovations or maintenance done yourself. It`s been my experience that PM companies will typically charge out maintenance employees at approx $65/hr while paying them less than half of that. So if you hired a great handyman at $35/hr (which I have a full time one personally) you would save thousands if you required a lot of work.

Now, this is the cashflow analysis I have for this property - I hope this helps you see how others look at properties as well, Randy. (ALL NUMBERS ROUNDED TO SAVE TIME)

Income of $2,194 (After taking off Randy`s figure of 5.4% for vacancy)

Expenses
Mortgage - $932
Taxes - $250
Insurance - $85
LOC - $100
PM - $185
R+M - $185
Heat - $200
Water - $35

Total Expenses of $1,972 per month.

This leaves a positive cash flow of $222 per month

Everyone agree with that so far?

Now take into consideration that this does not include any figures for the upgrading or deferred maintenance that will probably be required if it`s an older building, so this figure could potentially be less, and also does not take into account the building of a reserve fund for the first couple years - it appears that if he`s purchasing it with a LOC, I`m assuming Randy is purchasing w/o a JV partner.

Randy, would you share with us what interest rate and amortization your mortgage will be?

And if you plan to hold long term, will there be a buyer for an older building (once again assuming that it is older - I might be wrong here!)?

Now let`s take a look at the property I posted to show the difference.

Purchase Price of $350,000

Income - $2,700 per month
($2,565 after a 5% vacancy allowance)

Expenses
Mortgage - $1,320 (Based on 20% down, 35 year amortization rate and a 4.5% rate)
Taxes - $260
Insurance - $100
Repairs - $50 (Brand new buildings, or else I`d never allow for this low of a number initially)
PM - $216 (Also, personally I do all my own MGMT, but I am allowing for a 8% here just for parity)
Total Expenses of $1,950

Total CashFlow of $619/mth

Now, the main difference here is that my example is using a 20% down, and that there is no repayment of a LOC. This is because I`d enter into a JV partner where I would ask for the JV partner to put in at least 20% down here in this situation. I just wanted to point that out myself before 15 people pointed this out. (Cash flow would be approx $547 per month with 10% down, not including CMHC fees, etc).

But in this situation, you`ve got a guaranteed legal suite, seperate utilities, brand new development that will not require MAJOR renovations or maintenance for probably 10 years. This will help you to `normalize` your cash flow over your investment horizon, and will keep your property cash flowing, and when it comes time to sell, you will still have a relatively new property to sell, making it more attractive (arguably).

Randy, after looking at your property again, I`d give it a thumbs up IF it is not illegally suites and IF it does not require MAJOR renovations and/or deferred maintenance.

Hope that helps you see how others look at cash flow analysis - even roughly like that, and the reasoning behind certain things.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or anything else.

Mitch

vandriani

REIN Member
PM - $216 (Also, personally I do all my own MGMT, but I am allowing for a 8% here just for parity)/quote]

Would that not be 8% multiplied by the number of suites?

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Well, it`s 8% of the total gross rents - or whatever percentage you can negotiate with the PM.

Adam - I wish you had a company in my area. Here maintenance people are charged out at $65/hour and paid $25-$30/hr tops. Then materials are marked up, etc.

The maintenance of the property is actually probably the biggest income centre around here - and with terrible tenant response (compared to my standards) and vacancy....it`s terrible.

I`m actually going to be getting into PM work in NE BC within the next year or so, as the Brokerage I work with is already a licenced PM company, but they stopped practicing it. Would be nice to ask you some questions about your experiences!

Top Bottom