Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Would you proactively contact a Structural Engineer in this case for an assessment?

adamturner

Registered
Dont hesitate to ask a well respected carpenter his/her advise on what is going on. Having the HANDS ON knowledge of how exactly the house in question is built (probably having done it hundreds of times) and what it would take to do the repairs, and even provide a quote for the job if needed FOR FREE, sounds a lot better than paying 500.00.
If your RESPECTED carpenter feels that for him to do a job requires an engineer then proceed.

CHEERS

rymac

REIN Member
QUOTE (adamturner @ Apr 16 2009, 09:40 PM) Dont hesitate to ask a well respected carpenter his/her advise on what is going on. Having the HANDS ON knowledge of how exactly the house in question is built (probably having done it hundreds of times) and what it would take to do the repairs, and even provide a quote for the job if needed FOR FREE, sounds a lot better than paying 500.00.
If your RESPECTED carpenter feels that for him to do a job requires an engineer then proceed.

CHEERS

I disagree, go with the engineer. A professional engineer is trained and has enough experience and knowledge to give you a recommendation. Hence, why their the one who can sign off and stamp designs and why they carry professional liability and omissions insurance.

As for free, you get what you pay for. Not to mention a conflict of interest in quoting the job.

Nir

REIN Member
Thank you Ryan and Adam, That is the exactly the dilemma I had and discussion I was hoping to initiate.

I am really tempted to start with a structural engineer because it will reduce the risk (I`ll know more about the REAL situation before hiring anyone) and it is supposed to be more OBJECTIVE (no conflict of interest) and $500 is not too too much (compared to paying say $5K doing something wrong/damage for example).

Hopefully , after the inspection I will have the information needed to decide whether to repair and who should be hired. so yes, you do get something for what you pay.
I guess it`s also a trust issue and "peace of mind" related issue - a professional inspection done by a structural engineer can help deal with.

Cheers,
Neil

Top Bottom