Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Yellow Letters

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Hi everyone,

I didn`t get totally clear during the Ron Legrand seminar exactly how the yellow letters are printed. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

1) Do we order the yellow letters with the main body of the letter printed and THEN actually handwrite the name and address?

2) Do we order the yellow letters with each name and address already printed?

I`m learning about print technology, and essentially the technology to print a different name and address on each copy is called variable print data. I`ve been getting quotes on it today. It`s obviously more expensive, but none of the shops have gotten back to me, so I don`t know exactly how much.

I don`t really like the idea of hiring nursing home residents to write addresses and names on envelopes.

Regards,
Zander

cmattric

REIN Member
What I understand was;

1. You write the yellow letter completely by hand,
2. Envelope would be a simple dollar store envelope, again handwritten
3. You must buy a list with homeowners name and address from a list broker.
4. Send the yellow letters with Canada post.

Just think you are sending a letter to your grandma but 200 times a week.

That is what I understand.

QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Oct 19 2009, 03:31 PM) Hi everyone,

I didn`t get totally clear during the Ron Legrand seminar exactly how the yellow letters are printed. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

1) Do we order the yellow letters with the main body of the letter printed and THEN actually handwrite the name and address?

2) Do we order the yellow letters with each name and address already printed?

I`m learning about print technology, and essentially the technology to print a different name and address on each copy is called variable print data. I`ve been getting quotes on it today. It`s obviously more expensive, but none of the shops have gotten back to me, so I don`t know exactly how much.

I don`t really like the idea of hiring nursing home residents to write addresses and names on envelopes.

Regards,
Zander

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Yikes, that doesn`t seem to fit the maxim "the less i do the more i make". I wouldn`t mind doing this for a couple of weeks, but there has to be a way to ramp it up.

QUOTE (cmattric @ Oct 19 2009, 03:38 PM) What I understand was;

1. You write the yellow letter completely by hand,
2. Envelope would be a simple dollar store envelope, again handwritten
3. You must buy a list with homeowners name and address from a list broker.
4. Send the yellow letters with Canada post.

Just think you are sending a letter to your grandma but 200 times a week.

That is what I understand.

cmattric

REIN Member
Thats why you should`t do it. I think it is best to pay around 50 cents per letter to someone you know who is either unemployed, or need a second job, or just house wife. If you don`t know anybody, I know somebody who might help you, `cause she`s doin my letters.

JessHunt

Registered
My understanding was this:

You print the yellow letter once, leaving the address blank.

You have the letter copied on yellow lined paper by a printer, leaving a space in the body of each for the address to be entered by hand. He said red works best but is not necessary as long as the address is filled in the same color of ink.

You acquire a list and hire someone to:

• write the address in the body of the letter
  • address and stamp the letterinsert the letter without sealing (fold flap inside)return completed yellow letters to you.
You mail them to ensure that they do get mailed.

You send out ~200 a week but don`t do any of the grunt work or he`s going to come back and do something terrible to you, I forget what.

Also, I think he meant a senior center, not a nursing home. I can see how that would work. A lot of the folks who hang out at the senior centre are on low fixed incomes and could use a little supplemental income and like to keep somewhat busy, particularly keeping hands busy. It`s something a couple of seniors could do to pass the time and make a little spending cash.

ZanderRobertson

Registered
gotcha, thanks guys, so here is my math on it then

postage @$0.57
hand addressing @$0.50
printing @$0.10

total $1.17

x 200 per week

$234.00

We`re looking into a cheaper and more automated way of doing this, but the handwritten addresses and names may have to tide us over.

Thanks again.

Zander

JimWhitelaw

Registered
I think it`s easiest to use the service at yellowletter.com. For $USD 1.39 each they will print the letters handwrite the unique parts in each letter, put them in hand-addressed envelopes and send them back to you in bulk. All you have to send is your list of names/addresses and your money. I asked Russell about it and this is what he did for the 1000 that were sent out by REIN. The REIN office staff stuck Canadian stamps on them and sent them out. Ron mentioned that if you send them the Canadian stamps ahead of time, they will put those on for you too. Also, it looks like the $1.39 includes US postage and mailing, so it might be cheaper yet to just have your own stamps put on.

SC2007

Registered
QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Oct 19 2009, 04:46 PM) gotcha, thanks guys, so here is my math on it then

postage @$0.57
hand addressing @$0.50
printing @$0.10

total $1.17

x 200 per week

$234.00

We`re looking into a cheaper and more automated way of doing this, but the handwritten addresses and names may have to tide us over.

Thanks again.

Zander

What about the cost of buying the list? Looks like specifically targeted list would cost more.

Shawn

GordonDaniel

Registered
The lists are cheap. I just got 5000 names and addresses in an Excel file for about $550. Just search canadian list brokers on google.

Yellowletter.com is sending me the finished letters and envelopes, I`ll stamp them here and drop in the mail. Letters were $1 each without the stamp. Easy!

All the best!
Gord

TerryKruse

Registered
Through my 20+ years as a graphic designer, I think it is best to use yellowletter.com. They have the economy of scale in their favor.

For a printer to do the yellow letter where you live, it should be printed both sides and to the edge of the paper to be authentic. Many quick print places can take a list and do a mail merge to print but this will cost you because you should also use a colour ink. They would also have to print both sides for the lines on the paper.

I guess you could just print on a yellow paper but there is also the envelopes, etc to consider.

Yellowletter.com seems to be a great bargain to me.

Just my 2¢.

Terry

Ian

Registered
QUOTE (myfriendjose @ Oct 20 2009, 07:58 AM) The lists are cheap. I just got 5000 names and addresses in an Excel file for about $550. Just search canadian list brokers on google.

Yellowletter.com is sending me the finished letters and envelopes, I`ll stamp them here and drop in the mail. Letters were $1 each without the stamp. Easy!

All the best!
Gord

May I ask who you used to access the list?
Thanks.

Ian

ZanderRobertson

Registered
I like this idea the best for sure. Thanks Gord.

QUOTE (myfriendjose @ Oct 20 2009, 08:58 AM) The lists are cheap. I just got 5000 names and addresses in an Excel file for about $550. Just search canadian list brokers on google.

All the best!
Gord

Mystique

Registered
QUOTE (myfriendjose @ Oct 20 2009, 07:58 AM) The lists are cheap. I just got 5000 names and addresses in an Excel file for about $550. Just search canadian list brokers on google.

All the best!
Gord

Gord, sorry to sound so dumb, but which particular list brokerage you used and which list you ask for??

GaryMcGowan

Registered
QUOTE (Mystique @ Oct 21 2009, 02:16 AM) Gord, sorry to sound so dumb, but which particular list brokerage you used and which list you ask for??

I used Conerstone out of Toronto. I explained what I intended to use the list for and they where incredibly helpful. They recommended the Info-Direct Household list. They can filter it with many parameters and when I order a second list they will exclude the addresses they already sent me. Cost per 1000 is aprox $70. min order will run about $400 to $450. (depending on the parameters they use)..

REINteam

Registered
You can stamp yourself...mind numbing work but if you don`t mind it then do it while you watch tv or whatever.
When we do mail campaigns, usually 3000-4000 at a time we bring the bulk mail to a neighbor and their daughters do it quick, fast and in a hurry. All we have them do is stamp, but I imagine they could fill out addresses as well. I found out very quickly that you don`t pay this age group by the hour when stamping in front of their favorite show...so if you can come to an agreement pay based on number done. Our letters come in bins of ~200 letters/bin and I pay $X per bin - this way they can do it however slow or fast they want (and I let them know, "if you knock out a bin every 15 minutes you`re making upwards of $20/hour)...and yes, I`ve timed myself to see how long it takes.

Believe me, you can find people willing to put some stamps on, we just happen to ask teens, 12-16, and exclusively family friends or neighbors.

Hope this helps.

Ray Reuter
Real Estate Investment Network

Dejavu

Registered
This is probably a dumb question....but what do you put as return address? Somehow it feels a little "difficult" to put my own home address on a 1000 unsolicited letters I am about to send out...

MonteDobson

Registered
QUOTE (Dejavu @ Oct 21 2009, 08:02 PM) This is probably a dumb question....but what do you put as return address? Somehow it feels a little "difficult" to put my own home address on a 1000 unsolicited letters I am about to send out...

How about a post office box number...or leave blank.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (GaryMcGowan @ Oct 21 2009, 09:54 AM) I used Conerstone out of Toronto. I explained what I intended to use the list for and they where incredibly helpful. They recommended the Info-Direct Household list. They can filter it with many parameters and when I order a second list they will exclude the addresses they already sent me. Cost per 1000 is aprox $70. min order will run about $400 to $450. (depending on the parameters they use)..
Is that correct, $0.07 per record? I got a quote from westlists.com of $0.10 per record for lists of homeowners by postal code, min order 5000.

neill

Airdrie, AB
REIN Member
We have talked with Universal Lists - they have dedicated folks that look after LeGrand people.

Rate quoted is .14 for 5400 names so far - final purchase tomorrow - will see how close they get to the rates posted here.

Top Bottom