Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Yes I am still around and I still have a lot of opinions

gwasser

Registered
Just to let you know that, although quiet, I am still around and have not forgotten about REIN. It is just that I don`t have much news to say about investing.

Basically, I nibble in both the stock and real estate market. I just bought another property in my favorite old fogey complex for a truly attractive price. On top of that, I used a line of credit created a year or two ago on my own home to finance it. If there is right now a reason to own a home larger and more expensive than you really need for your lifestyle, the line-of-credit is it! At 2.25% per month and no principal repayment required it is the ultimate cashflow booster.

Simultaneously, I keep on nibbling in the stock market. I am writing call options on shares that I own with mixed results. The market is so volatile while call option prices are not high enough to realy make an imact. 90% of the time I write an option, it gets assigned or called because the market is so volatile that even when you put the strike price 15% above the current share price it gets often called. I now buy some shares along with the writing of call options, or I wait until the price of shares that have been called fall back to below the original strike price and repurchase them. This helps but takes up a lot of cash, time and the results are not fabulous. Overall, I think I make a bit of money.

Also, I keep on buying income producing shares, in particular preferred shares or convertible debt whose dividends are linked to the prime rate and trade far below par while they are issued by respectible companies. The yield is modest but it is inflation protected and I am concerned about the possibility of having higher inflation over the coming five years. Also, because the shares trade below par and far below their normal trading prices, there is significant opportunity for appreciation. An example would be buying preferreds of corporations like the banks, or Shaw, Telus, BCE or Power Corp or Brookfield at $17 rather than their normal market pricing of $25. They pay typically dividends not far from prime on their par value say currently at 2%. My yield would be 2% x par ($25) divided by the purchase price ($17) = 2%x25/17 = 2.94% yield plus cap appreciation. Say we`re back into `normal credit and stockmarket territory` 4 years from now and the shares are trading around $24, then they appreciated $24 - $17 = $7 or $1.75 and my total annual return on investment would be 2%x$25+1.75 = $2.25 or 13.2% per year. Considering that this is a combination of cap gains (1.75) and divididends(0.5) this would be equivalent to interest income of close to $4.14 per share or 4.14/17 approx 24% per year On top of that, my dividends will increase with prime and thus inflation. - WOW!!!

For the rest, I do nothing and wait out the now abating economic storm. The secret to succesfull investing is buying investments at the right price NOT the right time. Timing of markets is risky and near impossible, especially when you try to hit the highs and the lows. However, buying when for your goals the price is right is relatively easy.

I just got the CDs of the last Calgary REIN meeting, and I can say this not often enough, Don`s explanations of how markets and the economy work are just great. Actively listening to Don and his expert friends will pay for your REIN membership many times over and it will provide an excellent anchor in these times of economic turmoil.

Not to brag, but to show you how my ideas work overtime, from the peak of the stock market some 12 months ago, my overall portfolio is down 12%, the TSX is down 28%. Diversification works!

NorthernAlex

Registered
Yes, I really like to read your posts, too! Good to see you around.

Which literature would you recommend to start working with supportive puts and calls? So far I just buy a stock ...... and wait and hope!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jul 17 2009, 10:22 PM)
nice to hear from you !

is there a good way to search for these preferred shares or discounted corporate bonds ONLINE? do any of the online brokers like schwab, etrade, BMO Investorline, TD Waterhouse, .. offer any tools ?

I too write options besides buying income properties .. more here:

COVERED CALLS: http://myreinspace.com/public_forums1/General_Discussion/61-8913-What_else_do_you_buy__besides_Apartment_Buildings.html

Nice to be back for a short while only though. Next week I have to deal with a pressing issue: vacation - we'll be visiting friends in Seattle and Vancouver. No Bill Gates is not in my circle of friends, but my wife made arrangements to tour Boeing. They have cool public tours including sitting in flight simulators. Talking about my family, my wife is setting up a new organization called 'Sustainable Industrial Development for the 21st Century'. She is a lady of vision! Even more so, she has hired my 17 year old son to create a website for the new organization - it is brand new and now on-line. Have a look: http://sid21c.com/

Sid21C will be offering luncheon presentations by experts in the field. Here are the currently scheduled talks. More details can be found on the Sid21C website.

Thursday, Sep. 10, 2009 ` Michael Carten, LLB, CEO, Chairman and Co-Founder of Sustainable Energy Technologies Ltd.

Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2009 ` Dan Balaban, B.Sc. - President and Chief Executive Officer of Greengate Power Corporation www.greengatepower.com

Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2009 ` Marc LaBerge, C.E.T., Devon Energy Ltd. "Low Impact Pipelining System"

Regarding literature on options. I don't have a lot. It is for me try-fail-try again. Gordon Pape in one of his 'Building Wealth' books described it. You find bits and pieces in various investment books, mainly as a side line. I am doing mostly call options and have done so on-and-off for a number of years. This is the first business cycle I am doing it a bit more extensive. I am taking baby steps.

A while ago, there was quite a lengthy and knowledgeable discussion on Option trading on this forum with Thomas Beyer. I highly recommend digging it up and reading it - lots of concepts were discussed there on the fly.

I have been reading books of course, but they have been a bit wider in scope than normal. Jeff Rubin's 'Why your world is about to get a whole lot smaller' is a must-read. If you want to take a different look of how the world works, I highly recommend: Alan Beattie "False Economy" - seems even Bono likes it. Finally, for an surprisingly different forecast not building on the unavoidable growth of China and India scenario, I think George Friedman's 'The Next 100 years' is great. George Friedman is the founder of Stratfor.

Hi Thomas, for buying preferreds and debt obligations I use a full service broker. Mine I have used now for 25 years or so. Talking about building your team! He is my 'devil's advocate' and keeps me from time to time out of trouble. Although the other way around has happened as well, but much less. You can get quotes on-line but usually the ins and outs of these obligations and preferreds can only be learned from the prospectus or from your broker. On-line with GlobeInvestorGold you can just use Symbol LookUp and type in your target company e.g. Brookfield and a whole slue of securities will show up. But as I said, I prefer to do this through my trusted full service broker.

O, I wanted to mention something that was quite enjoyable, tax deductable and even more important: braggable (is that English?). Don always recommends you write your local or federal politician. What about a political donation to the party of your choice? The tax deductions are tremendous - for every $100 or so spend you get nearly $75 or so back. But even better, I and my wife signed up for the SW Calgary Conservative Party Riding Association BBQ at Heritage Park. The price was $135 per person. You do it via your company and the ticket is split up in a 'meals' component and a 'political donation' component. What do you get for this?

Well we had a sumptuous meal in the big tent of the newly renovated Heritage Park and it was sumptuous - including a 3 inch thick slice of roast beef, wine supplied by the party faithful and an incredible choice of deserts. Their was life stampede music and a (not-so-liked) cash bar. There were 800 people, including Conservative federal ministers, provincial politicians (except the Stelmach bunch), municipal mayors from Brooks and other small cities, officials from the NWTs, the press and.... Stephen Harper himself, who gave a speech shown the same night on the Globe&Mail website and in next day's papers. To top it all of, we stood in a hundred person or even longer long line to have a photo taken with the Prime Minister of Canada. Quite a show for $135 pop per person. Not being a politico myself, I enjoyed the show greatly and whether you attend a Conservative event or a Liberal (ough that tasted bad) one, I bet you'll have a lot of fun and who knows, you may even have the ear of an influential politician for 30 seconds or less to tell them about REIN and keeping the darn property taxes low. (I'll try to show my Stephen Harper mug shot in my profile for a while).

Top Bottom