Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Data file synchronization question - REMA on two computers

crooksb

Registered
We are working to provide multi-user capabilities soon, with the data file residing in a location of your choosing on one of the computers in your network. You will be able to have more than one User in the database simultaneously, even perhaps in the same Property, but not in the same field.

You could thereby post your data file on a server and allow multiple Users to access the file over the network or via the internet, subject to whatever password and other security measures that you choose to implement to keep your data safe.

This should cover the needs of the vast majority of Users operating their business on more than one computer, and without the complexities involved in synchronization.

Watch for more on this soon.

Brian & Garth

aussiecan

Registered
I`m new to forum`s so I hope this works. My question is: Does REMA have syncronizing capability? I would like to have my data on my laptop and wonder if there is any way to update it with what I have input onto my desktop?

Thanks,

Mike

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (aussiecan @ Sep 5 2007, 07:23 AM) I`m new to forum`s so I hope this works. My question is: Does REMA have syncronizing capability? I would like to have my data on my laptop and wonder if there is any way to update it with what I have input onto my desktop?

Thanks,

Mike

We are aiming to provide multi-user capabilities soon with the data file residing in a location of your choosing on one of the computers in your network. We have not looked into synchronization yet. If anyone out there has information on sychronization software please send it to us.
Garth

jason

Registered
QUOTE (Chaps @ Sep 5 2007, 08:26 PM) We are aiming to provide multi-user capabilities soon with the data file residing in a location of your choosing on one of the computers in your network. We have not looked into synchronization yet. If anyone out there has information on sychronization software please send it to us.
Garth

Windows has some synchronization built into it, check into offline folders. Basically what it does is it makes a local copy of a network folder on the local drive and if the computer is offline then it makes changes to the local copy, then next time it`s on the network it will sync up.

This would work for a single user version as long as the person doesn`t edit the database on a different computer on the network drive.

In a multi-user environment though, because it`s using MDB files as the database, this would be difficult to accomplish.. you`ll run into issues when there`s two different copies of the MDB, both of which are different but vaild.

To do this you could have individual user`s database files and a master database file and then the program resolves any conflicts or duplicates through program logic. I haven`t dug around your table structure in the program yet but even just looking at the amount of information in the program I know I wouldn`t want to write that
style_emoticons

(BTW I`m a programmer by trade)

Top Bottom