Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lower mainland vs, edmonton

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
I own a house in grande prairie and also a house in the lower mainland. my question is this: Is it smart to sell my house in the lower mainland and take that money and invest in edmonton? I know the research says so but i have been making huge gains here in the last few years.

any info or insights is much appreciated as this is a big move that i am willing to make if the returns will be bigger in Edmonton

GSI

REIN Member
Hi Stephen,

To give you a brief reply to your question sans any real analysis based on the numbers of your home and area in BC, it is difficult to say. I would say, speaking in general that without a doubt Edmonton and Alberta have stronger economic fundamentals moving forward the next 5 to 10 years. I think that you should pick up the REIN book, go through the check list and study your current property before making any decisions.

If you have a home in Abbotsford that has a stream of positive CF and you`re thinking of selling it to invest in McCauley, my answer may be a lot different depending on your areas, target and intention of investment.

Short answer is AB has better fundamentals. Should you sell? No one knows until you run the numbers and get clear on your intention.

You may also want to look at taking a line of credit out on the property if you have a small mortgage- again depends on where and what it is.

GSI-

Grant

Registered
This probably has more to do with Real Estate Discussion, so I moved it.

NickStewart

Registered
QUOTE (Grant @ Sep 2 2007, 05:24 PM) This probably has more to do with Real Estate Discussion, so I moved it.

Is that why this topic is always listed as "unread" when I log in? No matter how many times I view the topic, whenever I go to the root forum directory, it shows an unread item in General Discussions...

Grant

Registered
It`s been doing that to me in other forums, too, so I don`t think it`s this one, though it could be. There seems to be a little bit of a bug. If we can figure it out, we`ll fix it, for sure.

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
thanks...i guess i toss up the idea of selling because it would provide more capital. I have used a line of credit on it to buy in grande prairie. I guess im just at a place where i feel mabey to gain big that i need to do a bigger risk??? ...I do appreciate your insight...
Stephen

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Hi,
Latest Lower Mainland BC Research Report - The Gateway Effect

We have completed some much needed research on The Lower Mainland`s market potential as it will perform after the Olympics, based on the Major Transportation Imporvements that are being proposed for the region.

It is a detailed report on the whole region outlining which areas will benefit the most. This is helpful for anyone investing in BC or considering their options wit their current properties.

See Attached

Anonymous

Registered
I might also add that the decision to sell or not to sell should be made based on the following:[list type=decimal][*]Does it move your closer or farther from your goals?[list type=decimal][*]Are your goals cash flow or income based?[*]If your BC Property is giving you great cash flow, think about Peter Kinch`s words of wisdom about overall portfolio planning... great cash flow in BC will help offset poor cash flow in Alb.[*]What do the numbers say?[list type=decimal][*]Have you completed the full analysis of what the options are? The numbers always give you the best information.[/list type=decimal]What does the research say?If you have made a great lift in BC, does the research support continued growth?If you made $100,000 in BC, can you make another $100,000 in BC or do you have to move it to another region[/list type=decimal]Tax consequences - if you sell the BC property, will you in cure capital gains? if so, you should more than likely factor that into your analysis.Portfolio Development - for us, I know we are about increasing our presence in limited markets to increase our economies of scale, develop a stronger team of vendors who we can drive more business to and reduce our overall costs, etc. If your goal is to attract investors... there is much more research pointing to a business case to invest in Ontario and Alberta.[/list type=decimal]Again, to sell or not to sell, in my opinion should be based on the goals you have and weather this decision moves our closer or farther away.

Good luck.

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
Canada Line Rapid Transit (Vancouver, Richmond)
Properties located along the Canada Line Rapid Transit line will be
affected in a long-term positive fashion by this project. As previous
studies have shown, the positive impact will be felt on residential
properties located within 500 metres of each station, with the largest
demand increases being in regions where the median income is lowest.

Im wondering where the lowest median income is along this line? my guess is richmond because its further from vancouver. Does anyone have more insight on this?

diamondnguyen

Registered
QUOTE (stephen @ Sep 2 2007, 02:09 PM) I own a house in grande prairie and also a house in the lower mainland. my question is this: Is it smart to sell my house in the lower mainland and take that money and invest in edmonton? I know the research says so but i have been making huge gains here in the last few years.

any info or insights is much appreciated as this is a big move that i am willing to make if the returns will be bigger in Edmonton

Hi,

Where about in Lower Mainland? I can be able to provide you the buying/selling statistic in the area so you can make a better decision.

Kim

Stephen1151

New Forum Member
Registered
QUOTE (diamondnguyen @ Sep 27 2007, 02:18 PM) Hi,

Where about in Lower Mainland? I can be able to provide you the buying/selling statistic in the area so you can make a better decision.

Kim

its in the mcmillan area in abbotsford

Top Bottom