Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Additional person (boyfriend) in apartment

housingrental

Registered
"Adam, do you use the annual possible rent increase given in Ontario or is this disappointing, too?" Totally unnecessary straw man

" Disapointing or not- I fully communicated that they legally would not have to pay a cent more and I could not do anything about it, but am hoping and asking for their help as they could see the difference I made in the 8 weeks since I have the building to the last 5 years of the previous slumlord. " If you told your tenants they didn`t have to pay you more and you couldn`t do anything about it and they felt like donating $25 more per month to you well OK then... thats just weird...

QUOTE (NorthernAlex @ Apr 10 2009, 06:49 PM) I hate to rent out with an "all inclusive" rent, as someone is always losing money.

a) The tenant in paying too much or b) the landlord in getting not enough. I don`t like a) nor b).

They also refused to change the conditions "without utilities" in the new rental agreement as they are fully aware that they are better positioned price wise compared to any other apartment in this neighborhood. My new rentals in this house won`t be all inclusive.

These tenants were inherited thru the purchase a couple weeks ago, but live there already a few years. During this time the city added individual water meters away from flatrate water and last year individual hydro meters. Additionally to that: the old landlord "forgot" to increase his possible rent for the last couple years.

Adam, do you use the annual possible rent increase given in Ontario or is this disappointing, too?

Disapointing or not- I fully communicated that they legally would not have to pay a cent more and I could not do anything about it, but am hoping and asking for their help as they could see the difference I made in the 8 weeks since I have the building to the last 5 years of the previous slumlord.

As I mentioned it before: Give and take!

NorthernAlex

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Apr 10 2009, 06:54 PM) ..... If you told your tenants they didn`t have to pay you more and you couldn`t do anything about it and they felt like donating $25 more per month to you well OK then... thats just weird...

Insisting on his rights and working together are two different points. I knew/know that I am in a weaker position there. I see the 25$ as an appreciation to the new landlord and the changes/improvements he made.

Otherwise I could go for a higher rent increase than 1.8% as I could maybe proof the higher util usage.

Anyhow, maybe we could finalize it at the Rein YYZ meeting next Friday, as I am happy to meet anybody from this forum and their opinion.

Top Bottom