Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do basic home maintenance courses exist?

Allie

Registered
I had to get a flapper changed for $200 a few months ago and the high costs my recent renovations have got me thinking. I would like to learn how to install hardwood, tiles, change faucets, caulk, and install electrical hardware. All I know how to do a the moment is change light bulbs and hammer nails, albeit poorly.

llee

Registered
QUOTE (MatzoB @ Apr 5 2009, 05:44 PM)
I had to get a flapper changed for $200 a few months ago and the high costs my recent renovations have got me thinking. I would like to learn how to install hardwood, tiles, change faucets, caulk, and install electrical hardware. All I know how to do a the moment is change light bulbs and hammer nails, albeit poorly.

Check out the Home Depot or Rona seminar. I attended once, and I found it a great overview. Also, check out the local college or City program. For example, in Ottawa, Algonquin College offers "DIY Plumbing", "DIY Tiling", "DIY Drywall", "DIY Hardwood and Laminate Floors". Each course is $88 for 7 hours of training.

mortgageman

Registered
QUOTE (llee @ Apr 5 2009, 08:40 PM) Check out the Home Depot or Rona seminar. I attended once, and I found it a great overview. Also, check out the local college or City program. For example, in Ottawa, Algonquin College offers "DIY Plumbing", "DIY Tiling", "DIY Drywall", "DIY Hardwood and Laminate Floors". Each course is $88 for 7 hours of training.

Home Depot also has a general basic maintenance book. I flipped through it the other day and it looked pretty good. I think it was about $30 for a hard cover book. Pretty reasonable price compared to that flapper!

Gene

I have search the web under installing tile or installing hardwood. you will find answers to you questions.

Gene

housedoc

Registered
$200 bucks to change a flapper? Must be that baby face!
Was it a plumber or handyman? A skilled, honest handyman can save you lots of money. A hacker may cost you.

Sometimes you just have to jump in, and then learn your way out.
Start doing some smaller things yourself and you will learn and increase your confidence and skills. You will learn from your mistakes too..... OR.... at least stay and watch when someone else is doing a job so you can learn and see if they`re actually doing the job you`re being charged for. Be a helper. Ask questions. There are plenty of ways to get information: books, Home Depot seminars and staff (some of them know stuff), online searches, ....even right here!

Having the right tools for the job always helps too.

TodorYordanov

Registered
QUOTE (housedoc @ Apr 6 2009, 08:07 AM)
$200 bucks to change a flapper? Must be that baby face!
<

Was it a plumber or handyman? A skilled, honest handyman can save you lots of money. A hacker may cost you.

Sometimes you just have to jump in, and then learn your way out.

Start doing some smaller things yourself and you will learn and increase your confidence and skills. You will learn from your mistakes too..... OR.... at least stay and watch when someone else is doing a job so you can learn and see if they're actually doing the job you're being charged for. Be a helper. Ask questions. There are plenty of ways to get information: books, Home Depot seminars and staff (some of them know stuff), online searches, ....even right here!

Having the right tools for the job always helps too.

Is this what you want to do?

I am handy and can do most small to medium jobs myself, but chose not to. You need lots of tools and time. You also need to do the same thing more than few times to learn to do it well and timely. A skilled, honest handy man saves me time, money and does it better that I would. $200 for a flapper is outrageous.

billf

Registered
Hi Matzo,

Unless you are close to your properties, maintenance is best farmed out to a reliable handyman(or multiple handyman). Your time is valuble too. While I think it is important to educate yourself on how things operate, and what things cost to prevent getting ripped off, most issues should be left to pros that can do things in a one tenth the time you can.

I took a plumbing and electrical course through the local school board night classes, yet I rarely do this stuff unless I am totally redoing the unit.

Good Luck,

Bill F

PS- The courses are helpful for things you can solve over the phone, eg tell tenant how to relight pilot light, reset breaker, clean faucet aerators, water turnoffs etc..in time you will be a pro

NorthernAlex

Registered
Same here. I thought I will do necessary work by myself. I still am doing minor things with my wife or alone (new flooring, cleaning apartment after tenant left, painting), but found a very skilled general contractor who has very reasonable prices. I talked to a lot, tested a few and am happy so far with one.

It took some projects, but now I tell him what needs to be done, he gives me ball park costs and gets in done to this price- always reasonable. I check his work always before paying and still have the "cumstomer/contractor"distance.

So, I dropped my I will do every by myself thought. You will soon notice how valuable your time is and how you can invest it otherwise wisely.

invst4profit

Registered
Although time is valuable I highly recommend that every investor starting out in this business do all there own maintenance. To me this is as important as learning any other part of running this business and in the beginning will assist in achieving positive cash flow. Those starting with a single duplex, 4 plex etc. should have plenty of free time to learn.
The learning experience is invaluable when it comes to determining necessary repairs and hiring contractors.
In my opinion it is impossible to negotiate the best contract or determine quality work and pricing when you have no idea what you or the contractor is talking about.
I have experienced to many disreputable contractors that take advantage of ignorant customers by adding and charging for unnecessary work.
When you know what you are doing you may then hire a reputable handy man and have confidence in your choice.

The hard cover do it all manuals are good, and you should have one, but every detail of every repair is available on the net.

A plumber will charge $200 to drive to the site. A 5$ toilet flapper can be replaced by any homeowner.

NorthernAlex

Registered
Greg, you are right with this.

I agree 100% that us beginners should do as much as possible or be at least there and watch and learn. Particularly easy stuff like painting, getting an IKEA kitchen installed, new laminate floor, but I refuse to deal with drywalling/mudding/taping/sanding, installing windows/doors, as I tried it at home and noticed that that would be next level, so to speak. I try to be there when he does it (watch and learn).

I am charging 90$/h for my IT Services here and prefer to pay my trusted handyman his 35h to get the job done and still go with the saying: Trust, but verify!

QUOTE (MatzoB @ Apr 5 2009, 08:44 PM)
...... I would like to learn how to install hardwood, tiles, change faucets, caulk, and install electrical hardware
. .....

plumbing and electrical: Regarding insurance issues, I was so far using a plumber or electricians to get the jobs done. Can it be done by landlord?

jarrettvaughan

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Apr 6 2009, 10:02 AM)
Although time is valuable I highly recommend that every investor starting out in this business do all there own maintenance. To me this is as important as learning any other part of running this business and in the beginning will assist in achieving positive cash flow. Those starting with a single duplex, 4 plex etc. should have plenty of free time to learn.

The learning experience is invaluable when it comes to determining necessary repairs and hiring contractors.

In my opinion it is impossible to negotiate the best contract or determine quality work and pricing when you have no idea what you or the contractor is talking about.

I have experienced to many disreputable contractors that take advantage of ignorant customers by adding and charging for unnecessary work.

When you know what you are doing you may then hire a reputable handy man and have confidence in your choice.

The hard cover do it all manuals are good, and you should have one, but every detail of every repair is available on the net.

A plumber will charge $200 to drive to the site. A 5$ toilet flapper can be replaced by any homeowner.

I agree Greg, It is so important to understand every aspect of the business.

When you want to become a bank manager, you have to start as a teller, work in loans, insurance, marketing....etc......etc. The reason is so that when issues arise, you will know how to deal with them. When you want to become the GM of a hotel you have to learn the front desk, housekeeping, concierge, sales, marketing, maintenance, serving, banquet porting etc. How is RE different?

Many community colleges offer the type of courses you are speaking of. I believe that colleges will increase these types of courses in the next year due to the number of people wanting to renovate their homes versus buying new homes. The demand will be there, so keep your eyes open.

invst4profit

Registered
I definitely concur with the drywall.
Fortunately for myself, regarding this topic and this topic only, my wages are far lower therefor more financially viable to do work myself.
Actually for me I always have and probably always will do all the work myself especially with my plans to retire this year. My plans are to become the on site handy man for all my tenants (they own the homes) to further supplement my pension.
This works for me as I have no desire to purchase any additional properties.

NorthernAlex

Registered
I arrived roundabout 12 months ago from Germany, where the most challenging work I ever did in our house there was nailing some paintings to the wall or screwing some IKEA LACK shelfs to the wall.

2 years ago we bought a fixer-upper here and spent 100% of our vacation in our new home (without the 100% certainty of getting the visa at all). Now, I would say, our house feels like home.

And hopefully in 10+ years or so, I ll be half as talented as you are, Greg!

EdRenkema

Registered
Learning is important but doing it all is not.Todor is 100% correct but in the end it is your business and treat it like a business.
I can change a flat tire and change the oil in my car however I don`t do it. I don`t like it and I`m no good at it.
I do like doing my own landscaping and yard work and I am naturally good at it, so I do it.
Revovations? don`t like it and no good at it. My handyman is also someone I trust so I can ask them for help or have them do it, just like my auto mechanic.
If your goal is to have 50+ properties, then good luck doing all the maintenance and renos.
If your goal is to have a manageable portfolio and employ yourself to do all that work then you will do as Greg is doing.

To me it is not a financial issue it is a lifestyle issue.
The most skilled and handiest people are often not the wealthiest, however they have the pride and sense of ownership of doing it themselves.

Nir

REIN Member
Interesting discussion, thanks Matzo for initiating.
Also Happy Matzo Holiday (Jewish Passover) for whoever is celebrating.

Allie

Registered
QUOTE (investmart @ Apr 7 2009, 08:33 AM) Interesting discussion, thanks Matzo for initiating.
Also Happy Matzo Holiday (Jewish Passover) for whoever is celebrating.

Thank you to all of you for your most helpful replies. I shall be picking up the book from Home Depot and will try watching youtube instructional videos. While I believe in working on your business rather than in your business, I believe it is important to have a basic idea of what a job entails before hiring someone to do it. I`ll be honest- I detest manual labour, especially when it involves something I have no experience in but it makes sense to arm myself with some basic lifeskills so that I don`t have to sit around and wait for help to come each time I have relatively minor issues. I agree, $200 is alot for a flapper! Chag Sameach to all of you celebrating the Matzo holiday

DebbieA

Registered
QUOTE (MatzoB @ Apr 9 2009, 02:22 AM) Thank you to all of you for your most helpful replies. I shall be picking up the book from Home Depot and will try watching youtube instructional videos. While I believe in working on your business rather than in your business, I believe it is important to have a basic idea of what a job entails before hiring someone to do it. I`ll be honest- I detest manual labour, especially when it involves something I have no experience in but it makes sense to arm myself with some basic lifeskills so that I don`t have to sit around and wait for help to come each time I have relatively minor issues. I agree, $200 is alot for a flapper! Chag Sameach to all of you celebrating the Matzo holiday

Hi Matzo,

Doing your own renos to start off with I found to be a great idea. You will quickly learn what you can and can`t do as well what renos to contract out. I have done my own laminate flooring, backsplash tiling and tons and tons of painting. It also depends on if you have the time to do them or not, and if you "live in the renos" it is a HUGE job. I have learned so much by reading up on renos as well as some of the shows on HGTV.

All the best

adamturner

Registered
Hi there Matzo, one word. YOUTUBE.

Anything you want to learn how to do, tile, drywall, build a deck, paint a deck, build a house, paint a house is all there. Some person some where in the world has made an instructional video on how to do it.

Being a carpenter and furniture maker myself, I use it all the time. It really is a handy tool.

Most home maintenance is not rocket science, but you do need tools.

Cheers

Adam

terri

Registered
just yesterday I was watching my window guy install the windows for my new place and heard him having a conversation with my neighbour who was saying that it took him 3 hours to hang a door himself. My window/door guy said that he liked it when people tried to install themselves because then they could really appreciate what it is that he does. Well I don`t need to install a window myself to appreciate what he does. I just have to watch him check, double check the level, how it opens, how it closes, swings, adjust, readjust to know that if I tried to hang my own windows they would probably stick, leak and be crooked.

I studied furniture design in school, so I can weld, solder, do woodworking, but it`s been ages since I bothered to do any of that on my own properties. I hire trades for the big jobs and my builder/handyman for the small things. Now, I shop, I clean, I paint. Often I will hire painters and I can`t wait for teh day I can hire cleaners, whohoo. Gone are the days of me fixing a toilet in the middle of the night or attempting to do my own drywall.

I agree that it`s very important to know to correct way to do things so that you can spot when someone`s doing it incorrectly, but once you build up a relationship with people that you trust, you don`t need to be there and you can spend your time more productively.

Other`s are right, it will take a few attempts at things to do a good job. So, do you want a poorly laid hardwood floor in a few houses before you master the art of putting down hardwood that you can pay less than $2/sq foot to have installed? If you really want to learn, the best way is to do what I did. I had an arrangement with my builder that I would be his assistant, mostly because at the time I couldn`t afford to hire 2 people. I worked as his assistant tiling, trimming, etc. I learned a lot and it helps because now I know how to do it and what materials are required I can budget time and money. I agree that it`s good to know, but I wouldn`t attempt anything important simply by picking up a book, you need the right tools and it helps to have an experienced person there.

Gale

Registered
I am a die-hard female DIYer and do most of my own work if I can. We also had a cabinet shop so we have worked as skilled tradespeople for years. Doing minor repairs yourself is good if you have the time, but keep in mind that hiring a handyman or a professional tradesperson also comes with liability insurance should something go wrong while repairs are being made (yes, it happens) and warranty if there`s a problem later on.

Learn the basics and hire out the tough stuff... Good Luck.

Top Bottom