Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Edmonton Property Management. Who Sucks and Who Rocks?

gottatango

Registered
QUOTE (GSI @ Feb 1 2009, 08:53 PM) On our REIN MYSPACE forum we talk a lot about which residential property managers are good and bad, as well as ways to improve self-managing.

I thought that it would be helpful to make a list of Edmonton property managers (you could do a similar post for your city too) and rate them. The key is to add both your positive and negative feedback. Some property managers should just plain be avoided- don`t be shy to write that. Others deserve more recognition for doing a great job- add that too.

I wanted to add a space for comments under the direct polls, but wasn`t able too. therefore, please just add your comments under the company names below. If I missed some major property managers, please add them.

1) Realty Corp. (Liberty Manor)

2) Kirkside Realty

3) Realty Canada (Don King)

4) Libertas Property Management Inc.

5) Davis Management and Realty (was Brent Davis)

6) Terra Realty (DMG/Don Grey)

7) Assured Property Management (Macdonald Realty - John Stobbe)

8) Group Three Property Management

9) Larlyn Property Management (condo)

10) Mayfield (condo)

11) Esquire Management Group

12) Milligan Realty Ltd.

13) Blue Print Property Management

14) Ayre & Oxford Inc.

15) Bella property Management

Someone I forgot? Please add them below:

Hi Todd,

Would you be able to post the contact information on the Property Management companies?

thank you,
Adrian

BrianPersaud

Registered
QUOTE (apoorvdwivedi @ Apr 25 2009, 12:10 PM) UPDATE ON MY HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH KIRKSIDESo, before I could fire Kirkside (which I was planning on doing at the end of the month) I get an envelope from them with my keys in it and a letter saying THEY`RE cancelling the agreement because:
-"the property is unrentable" (1-bedroom near Whyte Ave, University, and Hospitals, it`s rentable but they failed to do anything about it), and
- "my slanderous remarks" (they`re obviously on here reading these statements)

I`m not a lawyer but I don`t think stating facts such as how long a property has been vacant and how they don`t return phone calls is slander. The great thing about MyReinSpace is at least the REIN members can share their horror stories with one another.

Good riddance, I only wish it could have happened sooner.

that`s a case you can`t fire me...I QUIT

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
Real Property Management (RPM) in St Albert has been looking after my properties since March. So far I am happy. The principals, Rod Belamy and Kap Hiroti, are REIN members.

They specialize in single family and smaller apartment buildings, something that the larger PM firms do not do. So, if you are having problems finding someone to manage your SF in Edmonton, or GP, give them a call.

rescuerealty

Registered
Don`t go near Don Grey with Terra.......should be TERRA-BLE Realty! They are unbelievably bad!!!!!

pvilay

Registered
Libertas has been really great so far. I contacted them last September and they managed to get someone into my place by October. With my first tenants contract ending this October, I hope Libertas really pulls through for me.

bluesharpie

Registered
I am looking for a management company. Has anyone used Rental Advisors Before?

Is there any difference between which companies manage higher end condos versus others?

Also, does anyone know what the corporate relocation market is like in Edmonton and which property managers work alot with these clients?

Thanks!
Tannis

Kimmy

Registered
I am a distressed victim of Kirkside, too. Could someone tell me if the tenants have to move out when I fire Kirkside, if the lease is not over? I don`t want to be stuck with their tenants.

outtolunch

Registered
Hi Kimmy,

I can claim the horrilbe Kirkside experience as well...seems to be pretty common! The only thing I love more than paying $500 for the repair of a single stove element is paying for an electrician to put in light bulbs at $65/hour (plus getting the bills months after work was done). Possibly the worst company I have ever dealt with, for anything, and their communication is horrendous. We are finally rid of their ignorance and I wouldn`t wish the experience on any investor.

Unfortunately you`re stuck with the tenants, they stay with the property, not Kirkside. Do you have any grounds for eviction? Best of luck.

Kimmy

Registered
QUOTE (outtolunch @ Jun 16 2009, 12:25 PM) Hi Kimmy,

I can claim the horrilbe Kirkside experience as well...seems to be pretty common! The only thing I love more than paying $500 for the repair of a single stove element is paying for an electrician to put in light bulbs at $65/hour (plus getting the bills months after work was done). Possibly the worst company I have ever dealt with, for anything, and their communication is horrendous. We are finally rid of their ignorance and I wouldn`t wish the experience on any investor.

Unfortunately you`re stuck with the tenants, they stay with the property, not Kirkside. Do you have any grounds for eviction? Best of luck.

Yes, I do have lots of grounds for evicting the tenants (it seems from the feedback I get from most websites that Kirkside`s tenants all fall into some kind of category). Thanks for your reply.

Kimmy

Registered
I wonder... since Kirkside had so many complaints on the internet forums... why didn`t anybody complain to BBB or other organizations?

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Another company to add to the list is HELM Property Management and Realty Ltd.. I don`t know if they only manage for condo boards (as in our case).

On several occasions we (the condo board) commented to the PM and/or her boss that we were not getting prompt answers to our inquiries and also that the PM may lack the confidence to deal effectively with difficult situations and contractors.

The most recent response to these comments was to cancel our contract.

ToddStokowski

Registered
Out of curiousity, who was the individual at Helm you were dealing with? Helm manages a complex that we have a couple of units in.
Todd

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
QUOTE (ToddStokowski @ Jul 8 2009, 04:39 PM)
Out of curiousity, who was the individual at Helm you were dealing with? Helm manages a complex that we have a couple of units in.

Todd

Hi Todd.

I will answer your question via email.

Regards

Sherilynn

Meziek

Registered
Kirkside Property Management in Edmonton is by far the hell of property management! I am have a formal complaint filed with www.reca.ca about Kirkside Property Management. I have asked them to audit all three years worth of the monthly statements Kirkside Property Managnement. I am calling all unhappy clients of Kirkside Property Management to file a formal complaint with www.reca.ca. If they find that you have been cheated by Kirkside Property Management and cannot retrieve the funds, RECA will try to give you the money back from the Realtors/Brokers Assurance Fund.

I AM CALLING ALL UNHAPPY AND GOT RIPPED OFF CURRENT OR PAST CLIENTS OF KIRKSIDE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT TO FILE A FORMAL COMPLAINT WITH WWW. RECA.CA!

Join me by replying " I am filing a formal complaint about Kirkside Property Managment as well!"

GSI

REIN Member
QUOTE (Meziek @ Jul 30 2009, 12:10 PM)
Kirkside Property Management in Edmonton is by far the hell of property management! I am have a formal complaint filed with www.reca.ca about Kirkside Property Management. I have asked them to audit all three years worth of the monthly statements Kirkside Property Managnement. I am calling all unhappy clients of Kirkside Property Management to file a formal complaint with www.reca.ca. If they find that you have been cheated by Kirkside Property Management and cannot retrieve the funds, RECA will try to give you the money back from the Realtors/Brokers Assurance Fund.

I AM CALLING ALL UNHAPPY AND GOT RIPPED OFF CURRENT OR PAST CLIENTS OF KIRKSIDE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT TO FILE A FORMAL COMPLAINT WITH WWW. RECA.CA!

Join me by replying " I am filing a formal complaint about Kirkside Property Managment as well!"

Hello Meziek,

Good comment regarding Kirkside Real Estate. I understand that other REIN members have had problems with them.

If you have had filed a legal suit against Kirkside Real Estate (Ed Kroll and/or Carolyn Flexhaug), taken them to small claims court or filed with RECA, please share your comments on this post or private messages (private message if you currently have a lawsuit in progress).

Keep the information flowing so new investors know who to avoid and other folk can help each other solve legal issues with companies such as Kirkside Real Estate and other shady ones.

Ian

Registered
QUOTE (Meziek @ Jul 30 2009, 11:10 AM) Kirkside Property Management in Edmonton is by far the hell of property management! I am have a formal complaint filed with www.reca.ca about Kirkside Property Management. I have asked them to audit all three years worth of the monthly statements Kirkside Property Managnement. I am calling all unhappy clients of Kirkside Property Management to file a formal complaint with www.reca.ca. If they find that you have been cheated by Kirkside Property Management and cannot retrieve the funds, RECA will try to give you the money back from the Realtors/Brokers Assurance Fund.

How is this going for you? I would also like to file a complaint...

Meziek

Registered
QUOTE (Ian @ Aug 2 2009, 05:50 PM) How is this going for you? I would also like to file a complaint...

It`s still being investigated by reca.ca. I am building a case on Kirkside Realty and once all evidence are in place I will sue them through small claim court. Email me at [email protected]

jamurphy

Registered
QUOTE (jamurphy @ May 15 2009, 01:12 PM)
I agree that Libertas have sound systems and ethics in place.

I'd have to say however that I don't with the responsiveness........I find that I have to do alot of "chasing" to get responses to general landlord enquiries and it rarely meets the 48hrs target. Can be hard work sometimes.

Carolyn (my Property Mgr) is great......they are very quick to respond to tenent issues/emergencies...and I feel my units and tenants are well looked after.....I'd just like to see that urgency extended to general landlord enquiries.

I guess you can;t have it all!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wanted to pass on the improvements I've seen since this e-mail back in May.

Since then, Libertas have implemented a number of changes that have had a significant effect.

I get visibility to all aspects of the status of my accounts on line (good accurate data)....and the few queries that I do have are answered in full, and in good time.

My involvement now is bare minimum........just how I like it - gives me time to focus on what I should be......enjoying the summer!! .

shirlsun

Registered
QUOTE (klewlis @ Feb 2 2009, 09:51 AM) I have heard similar feedback about him never returning calls and not seeming to care if units sit empty.

However, I do take issue with the phrase "the damage his welfare tenants caused." That smacks of discrimination... which appears to be a HUGE problem among Edmonton landlords... (perhaps elsewhere too, I don`t know).

That might be discrimination, but to be open minded, it could also be tenants so frustrated to the point of angry because the PM does not respond to their needs. I am definately NOT defending these type tenants, just saying............ My PM was so useless I had 3 tenant thrashings in a row. Since my PM never replied to me I`m assuming the tenants had the same problem. Absolutely!!! no justification for the thrashings but I can sure feel their anger at the PM, myself. S.S.

gturner

REIN Member
QUOTE (GSI @ Feb 1 2009, 08:53 PM) On our REIN MYSPACE forum we talk a lot about which residential property managers are good and bad, as well as ways to improve self-managing.

I thought that it would be helpful to make a list of Edmonton property managers (you could do a similar post for your city too) and rate them. The key is to add both your positive and negative feedback. Some property managers should just plain be avoided- don`t be shy to write that. Others deserve more recognition for doing a great job- add that too.

I wanted to add a space for comments under the direct polls, but wasn`t able too. therefore, please just add your comments under the company names below. If I missed some major property managers, please add them.

1) Realty Corp. (Liberty Manor)

2) Kirkside Realty

3) Realty Canada (Don King)

4) Libertas Property Management Inc.

5) Davis Management and Realty (was Brent Davis)

6) Terra Realty (DMG/Don Grey)

7) Assured Property Management (Macdonald Realty - John Stobbe)

8) Group Three Property Management

9) Larlyn Property Management (condo)

10) Mayfield (condo)

11) Esquire Management Group

12) Milligan Realty Ltd.

13) Blue Print Property Management

14) Ayre & Oxford Inc.

15) Bella property Management

Someone I forgot? Please add them below:

I have heard of York West Asset Management Corp. Does anyone have any experiences with them?

Top Bottom