Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HELP...I SCREWED UP!

invst4profit

Registered
True, but in her situation she had run out of time to be cautious. She should hold her position and take her chances with the board. Chances are it will not go there but if it does in the end she will be rid of a potential undesirable tenant and at worst may have to pay a small financial compensation. Either way it is better than the alternative which will likely be a much more costly eviction down the road.
Lesser of two evils in my opinion.

housingrental

Registered
Hi Greg. I understand. I don`t have a good feel of what the outline of events are with Barb and the tenant. My thoughts are something like irate tenant goes to police with key, signed lease by property owner, and her possessions in the property and tells them my landlord illegally entered my house and changed the locks. And then pursues her for civil damages as well. Lots of potential fun to be had by Barb if things go wrong.

barb

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Jan 3 2010, 03:11 PM) Hi Greg. I understand. I don`t have a good feel of what the outline of events are with Barb and the tenant. My thoughts are something like irate tenant goes to police with key, signed lease by property owner, and her possessions in the property and tells them my landlord illegally entered my house and changed the locks. And then pursues her for civil damages as well. Lots of potential fun to be had by Barb if things go wrong.

Hi guys!

After I changed the locks, I contacted a friend who is the property manager for one of the largest builders here in London. (I left a message at my lawyers office, but...) She informed me that my big mistake was giving the key to the woman. I immediately changed the locks back and posted an N4 on the door. This morning the "tenant" removed everything, there was no damage and the keys are in my possession. Apparently she found another place. I am so fortunate, I know this could have turned into a horrible mess. I learned so many valuable lessons over this situation and it has prompted me to learn The landlord tenant act inside and out. To the doom and gloom responder, yes I was wrong because I allowed my emotions to make a decision that I would never have made had I been diligent in qualifying this woman. When I realized that she was going to be nothing but trouble, I had to protect my investment. I think that`s fair. To Greg and all the others who were supportive and offered their expertise...I thank you from the bottem of my heart.

Barb

invst4profit

Registered
Barb it may have been stressful but it worked out. Free lessons are the best lessons.
Good for you to decide to learn the act. Very, very few new investors bother to learn
the business before they buy so don`t feel bad.

Next major step is learning how to properly screen. There is a mountain of things to learn on how to do it right.
Plenty of informative threads on here and the LL site.
Leave no stone unturned and never feel embarrassed or uncomfortable for demanding all required info
from applicants. A LL can never trust an applicant to be truthful.

barb

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Jan 3 2010, 06:43 PM) Barb it may have been stressful but it worked out. Free lessons are the best lessons.
Good for you to decide to learn the act. Very, very few new investors bother to learn
the business before they buy so don`t feel bad.

Next major step is learning how to properly screen. There is a mountain of things to learn on how to do it right.
Plenty of informative threads on here and the LL site.
Leave no stone unturned and never feel embarrassed or uncomfortable for demanding all required info
from applicants. A LL can never trust an applicant to be truthful.

I agree

Top Bottom