Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Radical changes coming for CREA

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Oct 7 2010, 11:50 AM) JDaley - Don`t be fooled - Many other readers value your contribution`s to this forum and the more conservative and grounded perspective you provide.

Adam,

I am not upset. I just don`t think it is worth my while to further respond to this thread. I still do read some of them I you just may have noticed.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Oct 7 2010, 11:50 AM) JDaley - Don`t be fooled - Many other readers value your contribution`s to this forum and the more conservative and grounded perspective you provide.

Thanks Adam, I appreciate your words.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Oct 7 2010, 09:53 AM) I can`t help if you`re a sucker and buy books that suggest you spend that much on outdated services -

To quote a wise man, "Attack the point, not the person. Thanks."

I wouldn`t say that I`m a sucker (but who would, I guess), but if you read my post again, you`ll probably notice that I never suggested that people market that way in the first place. Rather, I stated that CB would be silly if they went after CREA for charging more than you want them to charge, seeing as how others in the marketplace charge more for doing much, much less.

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

luckyluciano

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Oct 7 2010, 03:15 PM) To quote a wise man, "Attack the point, not the person. Thanks." I wouldn`t say that I`m a sucker (but who would, I guess), but if you read my post again, you`ll probably notice that I never suggested that people market that way in the first place. Rather, I stated that CB would be silly if they went after CREA for charging more than you want them to charge, seeing as how others in the marketplace charge more for doing much, much less. Have a good one, all! JohnS

The reason the MLS works is because if the thousands of long hours both the listing agents and selling agents put into it. The MLS would still function fine without MLS.CA which is what most non realtors are familiar with. MLS.CA is just a tool. A small percentage of the public can piggy back on the hard work required to keep the system rolling just like a FSBO can go private on the same street and benefit from the sweat of the industry. A small percentage can piggyback by listing a propery for $100 with someone who moonlights in RE sales but the full service listing agent is stiil required to educate the seller as well as properly market, thinking you can take away the listing agent is just as silly as thinking you can take away the selling agent. You would not know this unless you worked in the industry. Another factor influencing all th is false euphoric speculation is the fact that Canada is experiencing it`s biggest BOOM in history....almost 15 years with a few small pauses and pullbacks and when this happens, selling looks easy and listing a property seems like a $100 venture. Canadians are riddled in debt and this bull market will change one day....simply not sustainable without some corrections and a flushing out period. The MLS and offices and system as a whole do not survive without both the listing and selling side. My biggest compeditor is a discount broker. They advertise "lowest commission" they work 24/7 even presented offers on their daughters wedding day. They take offers at any commish possible because they NEED to to stay afloat and pay for all the advertsing reqired to get the word out to stay afloat. They have been selling in the area and have been my main competition for more than a decade. I still charge 5% and get it. They need to sell twice as much, work twice as hard as I do. Charging a discount fee is nothing new, it`s been around for years and mainly in a false economy/boom like we have now. When the market slows or goes down they may go out of business like most of the discounters have in the U.S. This same ruling has existed there since 2006. Business as usual.

The System is expensive to run. It`s the people on all sides that make it work and efficient. The efficiency of the system is what maintains and gives properties their marketablility therefore their values. If you don`t believe me...try selling a property in italy where there is no functioning MLS....good luck getting a fair price. The system works because beause of the listing broker, the selling brokers, managers., administrators, receptionists, managers, infastructure on and on and on. If discounting was the way of the future it would have over ruled the top agents and offices by now. I still charge and get 5% and I am ranked in the Top 1% of the Toronto RE bord....the biggest board in the world!

For those that said in this thread that they hate us agents so much....let me ask you....why do you want to use our system so bad? Or Go get your licence and sell your own house and all the others for $100 bucks then we can talk intelligently about what`s involved. The reason a new licencee like Godfried. Stands up for the system is because he knows what`s involved.

Websites do not sell houses, agents and the entire structure working the system is what sells houses. If it was just a website, the internet would have taken over a long time ago.

Nir

REIN Member
I wish MLS had a `Total Monthly Rent` field for all RE agents to update for rental properties, by which all users could search/filter.
now how much more efficient would MLS be for us investors. if you`re an agent and like the idea, please pass it on..
Hope this isnt too off topic. Cheers.

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (luckyluciano @ Oct 8 2010, 05:22 PM) Websites do not sell houses, agents and the entire structure working the system is what sells houses. If it was just a website, the internet would have taken over a long time ago.

I can only speak for myself, but I`ve heard the `websites don`t sell houses` more than a few times in this thread. Assuming this to be true, I don`t understand the issue of having low-cost access to the MLS (and nothing else)?

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (luckyluciano @ Oct 8 2010, 03:22 PM) For those that said in this thread that they hate us agents so much....let me ask you....why do you want to use our system so bad?

THAT is a very good question.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Oct 9 2010, 12:40 AM) I don`t understand the issue of having low-cost access to the MLS (and nothing else)?

The MLS is what it is because the people that own it have invested so much in its development and maintenance. Anyone that owns something of value will baulk at government intervention forcing them to give it away for less than the market says its worth.

Realtors have paid for years to build the system into what it is. They made that investment with the expectation they would see a return on it due to its popularity and barriers to entry.

There have been private online databases for listing houses for over a decade. They stay small because all they offer is an online lisitng service. Behind the MLS you have thousands of professionals that do the dirty work to get houses sold and they in turn put money back into the system.

The reason why the public is salivating at the chance to get on MLS is so that they can take advantage of the work the real estate industry has done in creating the largest online real estate marketing resource, not so that they can get their house online for cheap.

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Oct 11 2010, 12:03 PM) The reason why the public is salivating at the chance to get on MLS is so that they can take advantage of the work the real estate industry has done in creating the largest online real estate marketing resource, not so that they can get their house online for cheap.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I really appreciate it!

Whether people call it an online database or marketing tool, I hope that we will find out if it is true that `websites don`t sell houses.` I`m personally interested in finding out if it is true anyway.

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Oct 11 2010, 11:51 AM) THAT is a very good question.

I`m guessing that some individuals believe that web sites sell houses and others do not. My opinion only of course.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Oct 11 2010, 12:21 PM) Thanks for sharing your perspective. I really appreciate it!

Whether people call it an online database or marketing tool, I hope that we will find out if it is true that `websites don`t sell houses.` I`m personally interested in finding out if it is true anyway.

When cheap MLS listing starts to proliferate people will soon see that even if you list your house yourself you will still have to answer the phone when someone calls. One call soon leads to another and another etc. Your website isn`t taking that call for you and handling the human side to real estate trading.

Just my opinion, but if websites truly sold houses you`d see real estate all over ebay and the MLS wouldn`t be as valuable as it is because it would be easy to copy. You can`t copy the 1000s of man-hours that make the MLS what it is.

housingrental

Registered
Doesnt the seller still have to talk the same amount of calls when listing through a realtor? They just get the calls from there realtor notifying them of viewings instead of the potential viewers calling them directly to coordinate. QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Oct 12 2010, 01:24 PM) When cheap MLS listing starts to proliferate people will soon see that even if you list your house yourself you will still have to answer the phone when someone calls. One call soon leads to another and another etc. Your website isn`t taking that call for you and handling the human side to real estate trading.

Just my opinion, but if websites truly sold houses you`d see real estate all over ebay and the MLS wouldn`t be as valuable as it is because it would be easy to copy. You can`t copy the 1000s of man-hours that make the MLS what it is.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Oct 13 2010, 09:49 AM) Doesnt the seller still have to talk the same amount of calls when listing through a realtor? They just get the calls from there realtor notifying them of viewings instead of the potential viewers calling them directly to coordinate.

If the showing request is straightforward and everyone`s schedules line up then yes it is pretty easy. But there are other calls and other issues to get around that an amateur might screw up or find difficult to navigate to properly sell the house.

housingrental

Registered
Thanks Brett
What sort of scenario`s did you have in mind?
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Oct 14 2010, 12:48 PM) If the showing request is straightforward and everyone`s schedules line up then yes it is pretty easy. But there are other calls and other issues to get around that an amateur might screw up or find difficult to navigate to properly sell the house.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Oct 14 2010, 11:52 AM) Thanks Brett
What sort of scenario`s did you have in mind?

A few quick ones

- co-ordinating the viewing so that the seller isn`t there. Having the seller present for viewings clouds the buyer`s perception of the property and makes it tougher to sell. Not only does the buyer have to be sold on the property but they have to be sold on the seller too.

- using the showing request to build a rapport with buyers agents and garner feedback on the value proposition of the listing. Agents prefer to deal with agents and are used to giving feedback to other industry members. If their clients aren`t interested will a buyer`s agent be inclined to help joe seller sell his house by offering his or her feedback? Especially if joe seller has demonstrated that they don`t see the value in realtors by not hiring one to represent him? Who knows.

- Dealing with logistical issues when the seller is tied up with work or travelling or has other commitments that prevents them from being `on call` 24-7 to handle inquiries and requests as they come up.

Ken15

Registered
Hi All,

Propertyguys.com (Ontario) is apperently now offering a flat rate fee for exposure on MLS.ca for $299!

I have a property on their website (propertyguys.com) and they just contacted me to see if I was interested in listing my property on MLS.ca.

Ken

housingrental

Registered
Thanks Ken

Thanks Brett - I guess will have to see how many sellers discern the extra ~$15,000 +/- in commission cost vs those services

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Oct 15 2010, 10:15 AM)
Thanks Brett - I guess will have to see how many sellers discern the extra ~$15,000 +/- in commission cost vs those services

That was just a small list related to showings, the true scope of value of having a professional on your team is much more extensive. But yes, you're right the consumer will ultimately decide.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (Ken15 @ Oct 14 2010, 04:57 PM) Hi All,

Propertyguys.com (Ontario) is apperently now offering a flat rate fee for exposure on MLS.ca for $299!

I have a property on their website (propertyguys.com) and they just contacted me to see if I was interested in listing my property on MLS.ca.

Ken

This is great news for real estate investors as a significant cost for us is now eliminated.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Oct 14 2010, 12:47 PM) A few quick ones

- co-ordinating the viewing so that the seller isn`t there. Having the seller present for viewings clouds the buyer`s perception of the property and makes it tougher to sell. Not only does the buyer have to be sold on the property but they have to be sold on the seller too.

I’ve bought and sold homes privately and haven’t had issues showing or being shown a prospective home, in fact I prefer to speak to the seller directly because I usually have a list of questions (some tough) the realtor can’t answer without getting back to me. But more importantly I like to see the sellers reaction to certain questions. With realtors out of the way, I believe home prices are likely increase because a well known strategy of realtors is to encourage sellers to sell low for the quick sale. A recent study showed that when realtors sell their own homes the DOM is quite a bit higher than the average rate because realtors holdout for a higher price, however realtors (in general) don`t necessarily apply this rule to sellers because of the need to do a quick sale.

Top Bottom