Radical changes coming for CREA

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Oct 6 2010, 04:39 PM) You can get it up there for free tomorrow. You only pay your realtor when they get it sold for you.

I just want it on the MLS for a hundred bucks. I don`t want to pay a realtor for anything else other than that. Looking forward to it!

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Oct 6 2010, 03:59 PM) I just want it on the MLS for a hundred bucks. I don`t want to pay a realtor for anything else other than that. Looking forward to it!

Don`t hold your breath

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Oct 6 2010, 02:46 PM) So, why doesn`t CREA, or the local boards, just set up a simple, anonymous ranking system, like a 5-star rubric for their clients to fill out after they`re done using their services?

Good idea!

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Oct 6 2010, 02:36 PM) Regardless of what ends up happening, I`d just be happy to be able to get my property up on MLS for a hundred bucks!

Same here.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Oct 6 2010, 10:11 AM) So in a huge stroke of genius to cut out the middleman and save money both parties are going to fire their agents and hire their lawyers to work out the agreement for them. Please read this sentance again and again until you realize how ridiculous it sounds.

How do you think homes are sold privately ? We use lawyers and sign posted in front of the lawn. With the proposed changes to the MLS, we now have access to greater number of potential buyers - no real need for realtors except for any additional services we want.

jwilbrin

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Oct 6 2010, 03:59 PM) I just want it on the MLS for a hundred bucks. I don`t want to pay a realtor for anything else other than that. Looking forward to it!

Given the amount of dollars CREA will have to invest to properly set up a new system/program which allows "owners" to list on mls, get all the proper legal work in place to protect the association from liability, the additional insurance costs, all the new forms, agreements and educational documents for owners and let`s not forget the additional administration/customer support that will be required for the new "owner" users, I don`t think we will see anything remotely close to $100. I think we`d be lucky to see anything under $1000.

You`re hard pressed to find good FSBO sites that list for $100. FSBO sites have only a fraction of the number of users mls has. There will be a sizable cost associated with listing on a site with user stats such as mls.

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (jwilbrin @ Oct 6 2010, 07:29 PM) I don`t think we will see anything remotely close to $100. I think we`d be lucky to see anything under $1000.

Don`t hold your breath

jwilbrin

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Oct 6 2010, 05:37 PM) Don`t hold your breath

Touché!!

Ahh we need some humor to lighten this thread. Maybe I`ll skip over to the "A Plea" thread. Those guys are having fun in there.

wealthyboomer

Registered
QUOTE (Rickson9 @ Oct 6 2010, 02:36 PM) Regardless of what ends up happening, I`d just be happy to be able to get my property up on MLS for a hundred bucks!

An Ottawa Realtor does it for $109.

DaveRhydderch

Registered
QUOTE (jwilbrin @ Oct 6 2010, 05:29 PM) Given the amount of dollars CREA will have to invest to properly set up a new system/program which allows "owners" to list on mls, get all the proper legal work in place to protect the association from liability, the additional insurance costs, all the new forms, agreements and educational documents for owners and let`s not forget the additional administration/customer support that will be required for the new "owner" users, I don`t think we will see anything remotely close to $100. I think we`d be lucky to see anything under $1000.

You`re hard pressed to find good FSBO sites that list for $100. FSBO sites have only a fraction of the number of users mls has. There will be a sizable cost associated with listing on a site with user stats such as mls.

I enjoy this thread. I`ve gotten a lot out of it.

The one thing is CREA won`t allow owners to list on MLS. This is a misconception. You`ll still need to use a Realtor to post to MLS.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (DaveRhydderch @ Oct 6 2010, 07:00 PM) I enjoy this thread. I`ve gotten a lot out of it.

The one thing is CREA won`t allow owners to list on MLS. This is a misconception. You`ll still need to use a Realtor to post to MLS.

Yes, I think most people know this, but it shouldn`t cost $30,000 to list a home on the MLS? In fact that`s really the extent of the services some recieve now. At most no more than a hundred bucks would be a fair asking price.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (jwilbrin @ Oct 6 2010, 05:29 PM) Given the amount of dollars CREA will have to invest to properly set up a new system/program which allows "owners" to list on mls, get all the proper legal work in place to protect the association from liability, the additional insurance costs, all the new forms, agreements and educational documents for owners and let`s not forget the additional administration/customer support that will be required for the new "owner" users, I don`t think we will see anything remotely close to $100. I think we`d be lucky to see anything under $1000.

Have you ever worked on a database ? I have. The user forms are already in place, perhaps permissions are needed (no sweat) and that`s it. So the large costs you are referring to aren`t there. In regard to additional insurance, what for ? The CREA only needs to qualify the use of the database and/or allow an independent body to appraise a home before its listed on the MLS, maybe $300-$400 per listing to avoid persons phishing. In fact, such a process would improve the quality of the content in the MLS for current listings which vary considerably because realtors just take what`s given to them as accurate by home owners. If the cost to list on the MLS is above a few hundred bucks I`m pretty sure the CREA will find itself with another complaint from CB - and that will probably spell the end of them.

Rickson9

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Oct 6 2010, 10:36 PM) If the cost to list on the MLS is above a few hundred bucks I`m pretty sure the CREA will find itself with another complaint from CB - and that will probably spell the end of them.

Good point.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Oct 6 2010, 10:36 PM) If the cost to list on the MLS is above a few hundred bucks I`m pretty sure the CREA will find itself with another complaint from CB - and that will probably spell the end of them.Well then, that would be incredibly silly of the CB. I just did a quick check of prices with the Ottawa Citizen, and to run an ad to sell a property, I got this, for a minimum of $400...

28 Day "Essential" Real Estate for Sale Package
BEST BUY
- 28 days in The Ottawa Citizen and online $400.00 for 7 lines; add $57.14 for each additional line. Run a photo every day in print for FREE
. (Does not include GST) PRIVATE PARTY ADVERTISERS ONLY NO REFUNDS

So, you`re saying anything over a few hundred bucks is just wrong, yet for less than a month, with only 7 lines and one picture, newspapers charge over $400. (The other priced packages they had were even more expensive, too!) But I`m pretty sure that in the mls, they can put up more than 7 lines worth of info, and more than one picture also.

Or do you think the CB should go after all the newspapers, too, as it charges too much to advertize in them?

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

Berubeland

Registered
View-it.ca is a rental site, they manage to get a photographer out to photograph the property, and post information for $60.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Oct 6 2010, 10:18 PM) Well then, that would be incredibly silly of the CB. I just did a quick check of prices with the Ottawa Citizen, and to run an ad to sell a property, I got this, for a minimum of $400... 28 Day "Essential" Real Estate for Sale Package BEST BUY - 28 days in The Ottawa Citizen and online $400.00 for 7 lines; add $57.14 for each additional line. Run a photo every day in print for FREE. (Does not include GST) PRIVATE PARTY ADVERTISERS ONLY NO REFUNDS

So, you`re saying anything over a few hundred bucks is just wrong, yet for less than a month, with only 7 lines and one picture, newspapers charge over $400. (The other priced packages they had were even more expensive, too!) But I`m pretty sure that in the mls, they can put up more than 7 lines worth of info, and more than one picture also.

Or do you think the CB should go after all the newspapers, too, as it charges too much to advertize in them?

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

I can`t help if you`re a sucker and buy books that suggest you spend that much on outdated services - $60 is all you need as Berubeland mentioned. $25 for other online Rental sites with unlimited photos. I don`t use Newspapers to list a property. I guess this means you`re in favor of spending $20,000 - $30,000 to list a property on the MLS/broker fees? The fact is the CREA is settling, period, and its evident that the only people upset with this decision are real estate brokers and the people that rely on them. There isn`t much else to say here other than to have fun reading how RE brokers are reacting to all this (in denial). In a short while, high-fees and unwanted services will be a thing of the past and I think this is a good thing for the industry and in particular real estate investors.

outtolunch

Registered
This thread is just too funny...but addicting!JDaley, you`re a database wiz, sales wiz, internet marketing wiz, real estate expert...and the list goes on, congrats! My question is, why waste your time attacking every realtor alive, we get it, you don`t use them. But with your extensive list of skills, a truly uncanny real estate prowess... How about one of the two amazing opportunities presented below:

Winning Idea:
present a case study on yourself, live, documented, reality tv maybe (or maybe just web based). You take one of your properties and sell it right now using a rental website that costs somewhere between $25-$60. You write the copy, take the pictures and get it posted, document each day, the amount of time spent, the costs, etc and then the world watches as you work your magic - you wheel and deal on the phone, you sell the deal in person when prospect look at the place, you do it all and in the end get the big bucks and the world gets to watch just how easy it is!

Best Idea Ever:
Do all of the above...BUT, instead we get one of the realtors on this site volunteers to list your property on the MLS for FREE, but that`s it, they do nothing else and you do the rest. You get to list for free, you document the entire process, you total your costs (money and time) and the world watches...you get to show just how easy it is to sell a house on your own, listing for FREE on mls and getting top dollar with no help but mls!

I for one love it, talk about power, talk about giving the CB the silver bullet...You could be the silver bullet that gets the entire population free access to the MLS...or maybe just $100 to list on the site, but not a bad deal either way. I would watch your blog/show/website, etc...guaranteed! If one man can show the world, if one man can change it all, it could be YOU!

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (outtolunch @ Oct 7 2010, 09:55 AM) This thread is just too funny...but addicting!JDaley, you`re a database wiz, sales wiz, internet marketing wiz, real estate expert...and the list goes on, congrats! My question is, why waste your time attacking every realtor alive, we get it, you don`t use them. But with your extensive list of skills, a truly uncanny real estate prowess... How about one of the two amazing opportunities presented below:

Winning Idea:
present a case study on yourself, live, documented, reality tv maybe (or maybe just web based). You take one of your properties and sell it right now using a rental website that costs somewhere between $25-$60. You write the copy, take the pictures and get it posted, document each day, the amount of time spent, the costs, etc and then the world watches as you work your magic - you wheel and deal on the phone, you sell the deal in person when prospect look at the place, you do it all and in the end get the big bucks and the world gets to watch just how easy it is!

Best Idea Ever:
Do all of the above...BUT, instead we get one of the realtors on this site volunteers to list your property on the MLS for FREE, but that`s it, they do nothing else and you do the rest. You get to list for free, you document the entire process, you total your costs (money and time) and the world watches...you get to show just how easy it is to sell a house on your own, listing for FREE on mls and getting top dollar with no help but mls!

I for one love it, talk about power, talk about giving the CB the silver bullet...You could be the silver bullet that gets the entire population free access to the MLS...or maybe just $100 to list on the site, but not a bad deal either way. I would watch your blog/show/website, etc...guaranteed! If one man can show the world, if one man can change it all, it could be YOU!

Attack the point, not the person. Thanks.

housingrental

Registered
Godfried you are too easily upset!
You need strength to prosper in client service

QUOTE (gwasser @ Oct 6 2010, 01:34 PM) What do you think that WalMart could offer that a Discount Real Estate Broker couldn`t?

With the discount brokerage being barely an economically viable model, buying re-sale housing through WalMart seems even more ludicrous. I think Bret provided you all with a very extensive and sound reasoning about many points made or dreamed up about Realtors on this and other posting streams.

If you are truly concerned about Canada`s Realtors and their ethics, I suggest to work without them. From the Realtor`s side it is not very attractive to work with clients who always seem to focus on Realtor shortcomings. For those that recognize the value Realtors add to the process of buying or selling real estate, they will probably be happy to deal with the Realtors that meet their needs.

This is my last posting on this topic as I think it is discussed in detail beyond the limits of what is reasonable. So, you won`t hear from me further on this topic.

housingrental

Registered
JDaley - Don`t be fooled - Many other readers value your contribution`s to this forum and the more conservative and grounded perspective you provide.QUOTE (outtolunch @ Oct 7 2010, 11:55 AM) This thread is just too funny...but addicting!

JDaley, you`re a database wiz, sales wiz, internet marketing wiz, real estate expert...and the list goes on, congrats! My question is, why waste your time attacking every realtor alive, we get it, you don`t use them. But with your extensive list of skills, a truly uncanny real estate prowess... How about one of the two amazing opportunities presented below:

Winning Idea:

Best Idea Ever: