Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Site Is Slow To Load at every Click

Luke_Frerichs

Registered
I don't know if its just me, but i have used this site on multiple computers and ever since the new update it is slow to load at every click of a new page. Lucky i don't have paitence..

Can't beat the awesome content.. but still...

Cheers

Luke

R

RussellWestcott

Luke thanks for the feedback, have you tired again today?

Over the past week, each day we have been optimizing the performance and speed. I have noticed a noticeable improvement today (from the work done overnight), and we are implementing another speed optimizer tonight. Please keep us posted on your experience

R

RussellWestcott

Thanks for the feedback, each day we have a meeting to improve the user experience. We are making a big commitment to make this site the best Real Estate community in Canada, and thanks to everyone's support. Please keep the feeback coming. You can send us an email here, if you are having any concerns

EdRenkema

Registered
I've notice the same today but continue to be frustrated by trying an old technique with the new forum, for example how to quote just a part of s/one's statement...

I stand by my comments on using an old tool that still works only b/c you got used to it...

I must say the forum administrators are going over the top to troubleshoot any issues!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
yes it is slower than the old system .. but acceptable (but not wow ..)

Also nice would be more posts per page, i.e. less lines per post header on the summary .. very cumbersome / inefficient to view 30+ posts !!!

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=EdRenkema]for example how to quote just a part of s/one's statement...

I'm not sure if this was just an example, or if you were asking how to do this on the new forum. If the second:

When you are in the reply screen, the post you're replying to appears above. Select the portion of the post you wish to quote with your cursor, and hit the blue "Quote" button below. It will then quote only the selected text.

Alternatively, you can quote the whole post, and then delete the parts you don't want in the text editor, as long as you leave the quote tags.

Regards,

Michael

R

RussellWestcott

[quote user=ThomasBeyer]yes it is slower than the old system .. but acceptable (but not wow ..)

Also nice would be more posts per page, i.e. less lines per post header on the summary .. very cumbersome / inefficient to view 30+ posts !!!

Thomas, thanks for your feedback, I have noticed another speed increase again today. In all the testing we did the only thing we could not replicate was the 1,000 - 1,200 visitors/ day traffic (yes that is how many people per day come here... with targets to grow). Each day we are implementing more improvements, and have noticed another speed improvement today.

We do have a goal to create the WOW, and with your feedback we will get there.

Regarding your comment of "Also nice would be more posts per page, i.e. less lines per post header
on the summary .. very cumbersome / inefficient to view 30+ posts
"

Are you saying to have the members signature lines more compacted? More posts less signature lines?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=RussellWestcott]

Are you saying to have the members signature lines more compacted? More posts less signature lines?

I am saying that on the SUMMARY page when hitting "view new posts" more posts show up .. i.e. more compacted i.e. less lines per post or more columns, like name of poster, pictures, title, # of replies .. all on one line (or 2 max) .. not 3 ! thus 2x as many posts show up per page ..

Also, once in the post, it looks somewhat inefficient usage of screen real estate, i.e. more lines per page displayed i.e. less white space.

A thirdly, institute a maximum footer length, say 3 or 4 or 5 lines .. some folks have 1/2 page or 20 lines which is not really necessary. One saying is fine .. or one link to their blog/twitter page/website .. but 5 websites or "words of wisdom" ?)

JimWhitelaw

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]Also, once in the post, it looks somewhat inefficient usage of screen real estate, i.e. more lines per page displayed i.e. less white space.

Agree with this. Would like to see more efficient use of screen layout with less white space. Fixed-width layout is less friendly than the old fluid layout. Many forums have the option to turn off signatures, that can save on a lot of unnecessary and repetitive content.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Ah-Ha. Found the options under Settings -> Site Settings to turn off avatars and signatures.

housingrental

Registered
I agree Thomas

But come on - :)

Yours Sincerely,

Thomas Beyer, Diamond REIN member and also

President, Prestigious Properties Group

T: 403-678-3330 E: [email protected]

Don't wait to invest in real estate - Invest in real estate and wait ! `

www.prestprop.com

Preview book chapters of my new book .. on my personal blog here: 80 Lessons Learned

Investing your LOC, RRSP or cash with us means: Become a Landlord - Without the Hassles ! `

housingrental

Registered
What should be changed is that topics with many pages - you have to click on page 4, then click on page 7 (or how ever many farther ahead you can click at a time) instead of click on something that takes you to the last page. So if you want to read the last page of the topic you have to spend a minute loading through multiple pages to get there.

EdRenkema

Registered
[quote user=housingrental]What should be changed is that topics with many pages - you have to click on page 4, then click on page 7 (or how ever many farther ahead you can click at a time) instead of click on something that takes you to the last page. So if you want to read the last page of the topic you have to spend a minute loading through multiple pages to get there.

Not true Adam, simply look at the topic and to the right of it will show the member who last posted and above their title will be 'last post' in blue, just click on that term and you are sent there.

housingrental

Registered
Thanks Ed - Not sure if I saw that on last one, will look for it in future, not sure if I missed it or not showing up on my page

ThomasLorini

Registered
I'm also having difficulty with the site....at one point the site was so slow it timedout.

Hopefully with will improve in the near future.

Thomas

marcp

Registered
I second everyone who says "less white space".

The old forum could be seen as ugly, but it was efficient in speed and space usage.

Cheers.

R

RussellWestcott

[quote user=marcp]I second everyone who says "less white space".

The old forum could be seen as ugly, but it was efficient in speed and space usage.

Cheers.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, and all has been noted. It was interesting in the pre-development focus groups one of the main complaint people had on the old forum was that there was not enough 'white space' and it was difficult to read the entire width of the screen (especially if you had a wide screen... it was a long read across the page).

But I do think we have gone too far to the other extreme (especially with the signature lines).

I had another great meeting with the development team this morning, and our focus is improving the user experience.

We are looking at a different design (especially on the signature lines having some protocol around the size of the signature box, plus we are working with offering more customized view options for REIN` members). Daily we have been working on the load speed, and currently only 2 pages are at a level that are unacceptable (those 2 pages are important ones), each day it improves and we have a couple more items to test tonight.

Keep the feedback coming, we are listening and are open to the changes that will support the community.

JohnKrahn

Registered
Would be nice to have the option of viewing the most recent post at the top/beginning of the thread instead of at the end. Maybe this could be an optional view?

just my $.02

Disregard this suggestion, I found that the option was already there under settings :)

Top Bottom