Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Site Is Slow To Load at every Click

MonteDobson

Registered
Another thing I have found while browsing the site on my Ipad is that it frequently boots me off when I select a link, or try to reply or post to a thread. I then have to re-log in every time this happens which is very annoying!

Other than that, the site is great...I'm liking it so far, especially the better search engine than the old forum format.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=MonteDobson] ... on my Ipad ...

it's an IPAD (or iphone) thing with the integrated proprietary browser. If Apple allowed Firefox or IE it wouldn;t happen. Don't blame Russell ! Blame Steve (Jobs, that is) !

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Another feature that's missing - can't recall for sure if it was on the old forum, but I'm about 90% positive it was and it's definitely on most other forums I use - is a link in the thread list to "view first unread post" in an existing thread. Note, this isn't the same as "latest" post which is simply the last post in a thread.

If a thread has a dozen posts in it and 4 of them are new since my last visit, I want to go directly to post #9, not post #12. Especially helpful if the "first unread" and "latest" posts fall to different pages within the thread. Most forum software has this as a link to the left of the thread title when viewing the list of threads with new posts.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=RussellWestcott]Keep the feedback coming, ..
3 more suggestions

a) the list of "most active posts" or "most interesting posts" seems to be static .. and certainly not a reflection of recent activity !

Perhaps it should look at the recent MONTH, say, and show the top 5 or 8 most read posts.

b) the posts do not show how many views there are anymore. How come ?

c) still 3 lines per post heading in the post summaries .. seems inefficient use of (screen) real estate !

ChrisDavies

Registered
From time to time the top navigation doesn't format properly. It's like the CSS isn't loading, or it's getting hung up on some JavaScript that's not completing.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Another suggestion: Having Don's twitter posts repeated here is redundant. It fills up pages of "new posts" with material that is entirely duplication for anyone who follows Don on twitter. Makes catching up on new myreinspace activity that much slower. My suggestion: Leave the twitter content on twitter.

Overall, I think the new forum offers some better features (search and document management seem much better) but it is vastly slower than the old forum (or any of the dozens of others I frequent) to perform my most common set of activities:

1. Log in.

2. Check for new and updated threads.

3. Write responses where appropriate.

4. Log off.

It's really not possible to just do a quick "update check" any more. Between the lower density of information on the pages and the slow loading speeds, the whole process feels tedious. As a consequence, I'm finding I frequent the forum a lot less than I did previously.

ThomasLorini

Registered
Dear REIN technical team;

Great job in improving the sites SPEED! I definitely have noticed the difference...

Keep it up!!

Thomas

R

RussellWestcott

Thanks Thomas for taking the time to post this... glad you noticed. The team did a great job over the weekend, bringing in the upgrade and the server transition 24 hours under the deadline. So far all the test are proving positive and all users will experience a dramatic increase in speed.

Now we can get on to the other list of upgrades planned. Keep you feedback coming, each of the items gets added to the list. This is your community and we are here to serve your requirements.

R

RussellWestcott

Thanks for your comments Jim, we are working hard to make this a community that all Real Estate investors come to very often.

We still have a few other speed optimizers to implement that will increase the speed even more... we are looking for the WOW factor!

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback, it is valued, and welcomed

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Can we please kill the posting of Don's Twitter activity to the forum? From my point of view, they add no value to the forum and in fact make it harder to find the content that does have value.

1. They pollute the new posts listings - can't find the real comments

2. The info provided is redundant for anyone who follows Don on twitter

3. Any important links Don releases via twitter get posted here anyway

R

RussellWestcott

Thanks Jim, by end of the week, this will be completed.

We had to test the RSS feed to the site, it now works automatically. By end of the week there will be a Twitter Widget on the site, plus the twitter posts will be excluded from the new posts.

We will continue to keep Don's tweets on the site, because people have asked for them, there is great content and not everyone is on twitter.... they will just not show up in the view new posts.

We just had a great team meeting this afternoon to discuss the next wave of improvements to the site, for example:

- My activity, on profiles working properly

- PM for REIN members

- Brand new easier to use editor

- Member blogs

- Activity points system, the more you use the site the more points you collect and more rewards you receive

- Mobile friendly site

and many more upgrades in the stages of implementation.

Keep the feedback coming, we listen and implement all the feedback we receive

JimWhitelaw

Registered
Thanks, Russell.

Speaking of RSS, is there a way to get the "recent posts" updates via an RSS feed? I thought I saw some RSS links for updates earlier, but can't find them now...

Top Bottom