Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What did 17 days of Games mean to you

wgraham

REIN Member
Here is some of my blog ramblings as we wait for our baby to arrive into this world.....

A few days have past since the greatest Olympic games to be held extinguished the flame.....but as I sit back and reflect it seams that the flame will always burn.

There is a good chance our boy could be born today. We are about 10 days over due and I would be lying to say that the anticipation isn`t killing me. But after watching the 17 days of games I learned more than a few things that have helped with this process of bringing a life into this world. Trust. Love. Pride. Hard work. And Commitment.

I must say I watch a lot of TV in the past 3 weeks, maybe more than I have watch in the past 10 years in total but I was entranced in what I saw and witnessed. Here is a short video that I think depicts the games very well. CTV did an amazing job.....especially Brian Wilson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz8tzP3oeDg

A lot of the moments were those that you will look back and say I remember exactly where I was when....... My father tells a story about the Henderson goal and how he quit his job to watch the game. Something he never regretted. I remember watching the `87 game as Lemieux scored the winning goal in my grade 6 class room. Our teacher thought that it was important that we witness this piece of history. He was right. Randy Pausch, in his book The Last Lecture, writes about when he was a summer camp watching Niel Armstrong land on the moon. Unfortunately, the camp teachers thought that it was too late and past the children`s bed time so they put them all to bed 15 minutes before the landing. He was crushed and I venture to say that those teacher had no idea what was really important in life.

Some of the moments that were simply incredible are listed in the video above and I won`t bore you with my rendition but the important thing is what it gave us all. A common sense of pride, hope and achievement.

Throughout the games I was constantly in awe of the commitment of the athletes. Most had given the better part of their lives for sometimes less than 30 seconds of performance. In our quick fix society most have no idea what this really means. Our investments (personal or financial) are supposed to pay off tomorrow. Instant gratification will be the death of us but to watch these athletes say "I want this so bad that I am willing to sacrifice everything for my moment of perfection" was humbling.

Before the games even begun many argued that the money spent could be better utilized to end pain and suffering, feed the hungry, or save the environment. All of these things are true but what I think we all may have discounted was the power of the games to elevate everyone and as a repercussion we now may believe that we can in fact do all of those powerful things. If we can lead the world in sport maybe we can lead the world in other ways too......

As the games went on and we all witnessed the amazing stories unfold an amazing sense of pride filled the nation. We learned what dividends hard work and commitment can have, we saw that courage and love can move a nation and we felt the true passion of what it means to be Canadian.

Let us not quickly forget these lessons and moments. Let us continue to build on the strong foundation that was laid before us. It is time to get in the game!

How will you take what you witnessed and change your life with it? How will you remember these last 17 days?

housingrental

Registered
For me, its meaning was limited to irritation that mma connected wasn`t available for a few weeks on tv.
I`ll never think of the Olympics the same way again.

Cargren

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Mar 4 2010, 11:36 AM) For me, its meaning was limited to irritation that mma connected wasn`t available for a few weeks on tv.
I`ll never think of the Olympics the same way again.

Hi Adam,

when you have a drink is your glass usually half full or half empty?

Smitty

REIN Member
Two words:

Joannie Rochette.

Mike Smith

P.S. Honorable mentions to: Petra Majdic, Crosby`s goal, KD Lang`s stunning version of Hallelujah, the last week`s impressive medal haul sticking it to the British media, so many others. Montgomery`s walk with the pitcher of beer, the city of Vancouver, the volunteers, Team Canada and Canadian citizens in general, etc etc. So to answer the question directly is to say that I feel enormous pride for my country, and a belief that many many things are possible in one`s life.

Also, those that would denigrate the games, or lament the cost in $ would be far better off protesting another scam perpetuated by Goldman Sachs to hide greek debt and other monstrous financial atrocities and train wrecks.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
QUOTE (Cargren @ Mar 4 2010, 12:05 PM) when you have a drink is your glass usually half full or half empty?

My guess is Adam`s glass is cracked and has a chip on it.

TodorYordanov

Registered
QUOTE (Smitty @ Mar 4 2010, 03:12 PM) Two words:

Joannie Rochette.

Mike Smith

P.S. Honorable mentions to: Petra Majdic, Crosby`s goal, KD Lang`s stunning version of Hallelujah, the last week`s impressive medal haul sticking it to the British media, so many others. Montgomery`s walk with the pitcher of beer, the city of Vancouver, the volunteers, Team Canada and Canadian citizens in general, etc etc. So to answer the question directly is to say that I feel enormous pride for my country, and a belief that many many things are possibler in one`s life.

Also, those that would denigrate the games, or lament the cost in $ would be far better off protesting another scam perpetuated by Goldman Sachs to hide greek debt and other monstrous financial atrocities and train wrecks.

The first 10 minutes of the hockey game against Russia I realized something that was not obvious to me before: Canadians have Hearts of Lions !

housingrental

Registered
Hi Cargen,

Maybe it`s not that I`m negative but that I enjoy MMA more than the luge?

QUOTE (Cargren @ Mar 4 2010, 02:05 PM) Hi Adam,

when you have a drink is your glass usually half full or half empty?

housingrental

Registered
Sad but true
Most have been dropped

QUOTE (JimWhitelaw @ Mar 4 2010, 03:17 PM) My guess is Adam`s glass is cracked and has a chip on it.

Cargren

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Mar 4 2010, 01:41 PM) Hi Cargen,

Maybe it`s not that I`m negative but that I enjoy MMA more than the luge?

OK you`ve got me there, cause I`m not sure what MMA is. Almost afraid to ask.

AlisonKeighan

Registered
I feel we were transformed as a nation. While we`ve always been proud of Canada, the Olympics give us an amazing opportunity to celebrate it and show the world. Growing up, I learned to sing "O Canada" quietly and seriously. But I will never sing it that way again. From now on, I will sing it loudly, enthusiastically and with joy, for all the world to hear. That`s what the Olympics has done for me.

Formerly a skeptic,

Alison

vandriani

REIN Member
As a Vancouverite, one thing stood out far and above the others. It was not the athletes, it was not the all the addition venues, it was not the money spent. The most astonishing thing that happened was how we as Canadians, a humble nation, not know for standing up and beating our chest, not known for getting overly exuberant....came together and showed our pride of who we are....I`ve never seen such a show of solidarity and national pride....So from me to everyone in Canada...We shot and SCORED!

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE OK you`ve got me there, cause I`m not sure what MMA is. Almost afraid to ask.

I think it`s mixed martial arts.

Michael

housingrental

Registered
It is.... And sadly not an olympic sport currently ... though should be considered the original olympic sport or sport for that matter

Do a search for pancrease

QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Mar 5 2010, 12:00 PM) I think it`s mixed martial arts.

Michael

JanBowler

Registered
Gold or bust attitude - this has to be a great example of a whole-hearted approach to life. Not trampling over anyone or going into the grey zone in pursuit, but rather focusing on being single-minded, committed and enthusiastic while remembering those who helped and inspired along the journey.

KimFranz

REIN Member
As posted earlier - "As a Vancouverite, one thing stood out far and above the others. It was not the athletes, it was not the all the addition venues, it was not the money spent. The most astonishing thing that happened was how we as Canadians, a humble nation, not know for standing up and beating our chest, not known for getting overly exuberant....came together and showed our pride of who we are....I`ve never seen such a show of solidarity and national pride....So from me to everyone in Canada...We shot and SCORED!"

That is exactly how I felt, my heart is still full and swollen with pride. I have always felt that Canada was the best country in the world and have always been proud of who we are and what we have accomplished. Being here in the middle of all this I had to, at times, pinch myself and say "this is happening right outside my door!" I am so happy that we could finally show the world what a great, hospitable, and strong country we are.

I AM CANADIAN! woo woo woo woo!

Kim

TonyMandrique

Registered
I BELIEVE IN CANADIANS!!! GO CANADA GO!!!

CONGRATS TO OUR ATHLETES!!! WE ARE VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
The games meant a 14 day vacation crusing the Caribbean, eating, drinking, swimming, relaxing, recharging, and spending too much money. What did we miss?

We got back in time to see The Game.

Top Bottom