Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

$500k in Profit!

tonypeters

Registered
I am posting this story because Brett Turner asked me if I would.However, I am posting this story with one caveat: It is NOT intended to "gloat" or "brag", it is intended to MOTIVATE and EMPOWER others to take ACTION!Now I have got that out of the way...Just prior to the Edmonton real estate market EXPLODING, I was approached by another investor with an opportunity to purchase a number of condominiums in a multi-unit building that was to be constructed. As a result of a "bulk" purchase, we were provided with the opportunity to obtain an attractive "pre-construction" price discount! The discount amounted to approximately $10k a door. I liked the idea of taking advantage of the "Pre-Construction" pricing for a number of reasons;1. The building was located on a MAJOR transportation change that had NOT yet come into effect!
2. The short and long term economic fundamentals were extremely favorable!

3. We would stand to benefit from equity appreciation during the time it took to construct this building!

It gets even BETTER!
We were able to negotiate a VERY small (initial) down payment. If my memory serves me correctly, we ONLY had to contribute approximately $2,000 (per door) in CASH! That was $20k (my share).

For anyone that knows me
, I do NOT like the idea of giving up BIG chunks of CASH, and if I put ANYTHING down at all, it is typically "OPM" (other people`s money), and NOT my own!

WHY?
Because that`s the ONLY way I like to Buy Houses!

So
everything was good!

LOW down payment and GREAT terms!
So all I had to do was sit back and WAIT!

Unfortunately
, but FORTUNATELY for me, the project was delayed by well over a year! This was due to initial delays in the approval of the building permit, and a severe lack of construction trades.

Was I ok with this
…ABSOLUTELY!

WHY?
Because the Edmonton real estate market was just starting to EXPLODE!

Was I LUCKY or was I SMART?
There is an old saying that goes...You create your OWN luck!

Tony`s TIP:
If you haven`t already done so, read the book written by Bo Peabody titled "Lucky or Smart?
" I had the good fortune of meeting Bo a number of years ago, and his story is truly inspiring!

As a result
, the properties gained in value substantially over the time they were being built. The day we were supposed to close they were worth at least $1.3 Million dollars
more than what we had them under contract for.

To cut a slightly longer story even shorter
, I agreed to let my partner buy me out for $520,000 in CASH!
That`s right, I did say $520,000 in CASH!

Did EVERYBODY Win?
ABSOLUTELY! I made a cool $500k in profit
, and I left something on the table for my partner in the process!

Oh I forgot to mention one small problem
, I owed CRA $100k in tax! Not a bad problem to have!

Was this a good return on my $20k investment?
I will let you be the judge of that one!

I hope
that my story will inspire you to...take ACTION!

RedlineBrett

Registered
Cool story... thanks for sharing!

You`ve obviously done quite well.. congratulations on your success!

tonypeters

Registered
Thanks Brett, this is one of many GREAT (real estate) stories that I have to share! I guess that`s why I have elected to write my own book. Stay tuned!

QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Nov 6 2009, 04:54 PM) Cool story... thanks for sharing!

You`ve obviously done quite well.. congratulations on your success!

tonypeters

Registered
Thanks for your feedback Gerhard! I still remember the very first time I met you and your brother. It was probably 5 or 6 years ago and you were still competing at the international level.

Since that time you have come a long way with your real estate investing career!

I look forward to speaking with you again soon!

QUOTE (Gerhardt @ Nov 14 2009, 10:08 AM) Thanks Tony! Very inspiring indeed!

Carene

Registered
Tony, I Love stories like this and in total I am bringing you FOUR attendees to the Vancouver Creative Investing workshop in March! Teach us how to duplicate what you have learned please?

QUESTION to everyone doing RTO. I know Edmontion is a great investment town, but I live in Vancouver and I believe (maybe incorrectly ?)
that I want to be close to my tenant/buyers and my properties. I am focusing on South Surrey Cloverdale Abbotsford

I want to do tenant first deals and have spent my marketing efforts on trying to FIND the potential tenant/buyers.
by craigslist, meeting and telling realtors and Property Managers about RTO in case they have buyers who don`t qualify at the bank, facebook and linked- in contacting, driving traffic to a website. I know there are a lot of other marketing venues- which I will test later (yellow letters idea) . I AM NOT FINDING the RTO buyers.

Do I do MORE of the same? Does it just take many months?

Suggestions?

Carene

tonypeters

Registered
Carene,

Thank you for your positive feedback and your support, as it is truly appreciated!

Maybe the best way I can answer your question is with this statement...It`s all about the marketing!

I took marketing VERY seriously when I first started my real estate investing career. Why? Because I realized very quickly that some of the most successful companies on this planet are not opposed to spending a LOT of money in order to establish their brand and grow their business! Because I treated my real estate like a business from the very start, I realized that I would need to be prepared to make an investment in myself, and that investment included marketing.

Now with that said, there are many different ways you can market your (Lease To Own) product and or locate qualified Tenant/Buyers. You can, and you should advertize your program by utilizing newspaper type ads. You can also use the (free) on-line websites such as Kijiji. As I have stated before, to be truly successful at marketing it is critical that you maintain "Frequency" and "Consistency".

You can also locate great Tenant/Buyers by expanding your network. You have probably heard of this saying before...Your net worth is equal to your network.

With this in mind, your network should include Mortgage Brokers and Realtors, as they always know of someone that can`t qualify at the bank for a mortgage.

I could spend days talking about this particular subject, as it is a subject that I have truly embraced. With this in mind, I encourage you to pick up the book titled "The Wizard of Ads"
by Roy H. Williams. This was one of my first (marketing) books I ever read, and it has served me extremely well over the years! You can also subscribe to his newsletters by visiting his website @ Tony, I Love stories like this and in total I am bringing you FOUR attendees to the Vancouver Creative Investing workshop in March! Teach us how to duplicate what you have learned please?

QUESTION to everyone doing RTO. I know Edmontion is a great investment town, but I live in Vancouver and I believe (maybe incorrectly ?)
that I want to be close to my tenant/buyers and my properties. I am focusing on South Surrey Cloverdale Abbotsford

I want to do tenant first deals and have spent my marketing efforts on trying to FIND the potential tenant/buyers.
by craigslist, meeting and telling realtors and Property Managers about RTO in case they have buyers who don`t qualify at the bank, facebook and linked- in contacting, driving traffic to a website. I know there are a lot of other marketing venues- which I will test later (yellow letters idea) . I AM NOT FINDING the RTO buyers.

Do I do MORE of the same? Does it just take many months?

Suggestions?

Carene

Mike Milovick

Registered
QUOTE (tonypeters @ Nov 6 2009, 03:40 PM) I am posting this story because Brett Turner asked me if I would.However, I am posting this story with one caveat: It is NOT intended to "gloat" or "brag", it is intended to MOTIVATE and EMPOWER others to take ACTION!Now I have got that out of the way...Just prior to the Edmonton real estate market EXPLODING, I was approached by another investor with an opportunity to purchase a number of condominiums in a multi-unit building that was to be constructed. As a result of a "bulk" purchase, we were provided with the opportunity to obtain an attractive "pre-construction" price discount! The discount amounted to approximately $10k a door. I liked the idea of taking advantage of the "Pre-Construction" pricing for a number of reasons;1. The building was located on a MAJOR transportation change that had NOT yet come into effect!
2. The short and long term economic fundamentals were extremely favorable!

3. We would stand to benefit from equity appreciation during the time it took to construct this building!

It gets even BETTER!
We were able to negotiate a VERY small (initial) down payment. If my memory serves me correctly, we ONLY had to contribute approximately $2,000 (per door) in CASH! That was $20k (my share).

For anyone that knows me
, I do NOT like the idea of giving up BIG chunks of CASH, and if I put ANYTHING down at all, it is typically "OPM" (other people`s money), and NOT my own!

WHY?
Because that`s the ONLY way I like to Buy Houses!

So
everything was good!

LOW down payment and GREAT terms!
So all I had to do was sit back and WAIT!

Unfortunately
, but FORTUNATELY for me, the project was delayed by well over a year! This was due to initial delays in the approval of the building permit, and a severe lack of construction trades.

Was I ok with this
…ABSOLUTELY!

WHY?
Because the Edmonton real estate market was just starting to EXPLODE!

Was I LUCKY or was I SMART?
There is an old saying that goes...You create your OWN luck!

Tony`s TIP:
If you haven`t already done so, read the book written by Bo Peabody titled "Lucky or Smart?
" I had the good fortune of meeting Bo a number of years ago, and his story is truly inspiring!

As a result
, the properties gained in value substantially over the time they were being built. The day we were supposed to close they were worth at least $1.3 Million dollars
more than what we had them under contract for.

To cut a slightly longer story even shorter
, I agreed to let my partner buy me out for $520,000 in CASH!
That`s right, I did say $520,000 in CASH!

Did EVERYBODY Win?
ABSOLUTELY! I made a cool $500k in profit
, and I left something on the table for my partner in the process!

Oh I forgot to mention one small problem
, I owed CRA $100k in tax! Not a bad problem to have!

Was this a good return on my $20k investment?
I will let you be the judge of that one!

I hope
that my story will inspire you to...take ACTION!

That`s awesome Tony. Of course, I would warn REIN members that by buying pre-sale, you went pretty much against the REIN core fundamental of NOT BUYING condos in pre-construction phase (as opposed to buying cash flow positive properties).

I would chalk this one up to luck - and be thankful you didn`t invest in Vancouver. You could have been on the hook for $80,000 to $150,000 in lost equity per unit had the market had gone the other way - and then multiply that by 10.

I encourage my buyer clients to invest, not speculate.

Enjoy your $$$$$$$$$. You were lucky. Its awesome to see someone guess right.

Mike

tonypeters

Registered
Mike,

I could not agree with you or Don more, you have to be extremely careful when purchasing "pre-construction". Given that I transact on the volume of properties that I do, and given that I keep an extremely close eye on the "fundamentals", I typically create more wins than losses. And if you play the game long enough, once in awhile you hit the ball out of the park and score a home run!

It`s a numbers game, but hopefully you win more than you lose! Just like there are no guarantees with buy and hold. Hopefully they go up in value, and hopefully you don`t have to sell at the wrong time due to an illness or unexpected financial crisis. There is another old saying...it`s all about the timing!

You have probably heard this said before...you create your own luck. I once read a book titled..."Lucky or Smart" by Bo Peabody. A great read and a true
story!

I guess I got lucky this time!

Thanks for your contribution Mike.

QUOTE (MikeMilovick @ Jan 26 2010, 02:13 PM) That`s awesome Tony. Of course, I would warn REIN members that by buying pre-sale, you went pretty much against the REIN core fundamental of NOT BUYING condos in pre-construction phase (as opposed to buying cash flow positive properties).

I would chalk this one up to luck - and be thankful you didn`t invest in Vancouver. You could have been on the hook for $80,000 to $150,000 in lost equity per unit had the market had gone the other way - and then multiply that by 10.

I encourage my buyer clients to invest, not speculate.

Enjoy your $$$$$$$$$. You were lucky. Its awesome to see someone guess right.

Mike

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (MikeMilovick @ Jan 26 2010, 03:13 PM) I encourage my buyer clients to invest, not speculate.

Enjoy your $$$$$. You were lucky. Its awesome to see someone guess right.

Mike

Hey Mike as a buyer - I invested in student housing
and as a seller - I speculated (a little) but failing that I could have continued investing.

I just wish realtors would stop calling me on the phone and gurgling with delight

JamesB

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jan 27 2010, 11:11 PM) Hey Mike as a buyer - I invested in student housing
and as a seller - I speculated (a little) but failing that I could have continued investing.

I just wish realtors would stop calling me on the phone and gurgling with delight

Well its just so tempting when you put your phone number in your signiture!

James Benson

Top Bottom